Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed BlackVue D900 4K Dashcam!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 09:39 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche0911
I bought the BlackVue Power magic Pro for my DR900S 2ch. BlackBoxMyCar recommends using a battery pack. Are you guys just connecting the Power Magic Pro to the fuse box? how does that do for record time before reaching the 12 volt cut off?
Also I have the Blendmount radar detector mount for my V1 and I am going to look at mounting the DR900S to it instead of my windshield for a stealthier install. I will let you know how it goes.
I did not hardware mine. My cameras are plugged into the battery and the battery is plugged into my outlet on the passenger side. I typically unplug it if I am going to leave the car in the garage for a while.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:06 PM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Had a 950 hardwired in my Cayenne a couple of weeks ago and just finished a drive from VA to the Porsche Parade at Lake of the Ozarks. Wired with the PMP to the fuse box on the passenger side. Observations thus far. 1) the only micro SD that I can get to work are the Blackview (the one that came with the unit is 16gb) and the Sandisk Ultra (ordered a 128 gb version) -- none of the other Sandisk models (extreme, etc. ) would work for me -- either trouble trying to copy to internal memory or constant rebooting while driving.. Once I settled on the Ultra it worked great for the whole trip. 2) Gave up on the cloud service as it worked ok while at the house but could not see any value while on the road. 3) Seems to work all night long without a problem .... gonna sit for a couple of days here at the Parade so we'll see how it does over a longer period of time.

4) Not totally happy with where it is mounted ... it is high enough to be out of the way but it picks up the rearview mirror housing on the left side of the frame ... I'm thinking seriously of putting a small Porsche decal there and just call it an ad for the in-car camera....

5) Also not sure how the time setting works ... indicates it uses the gps but it kept the time of VA whereas the car clock changed as I crossed time zones... not sure how else it would work since it uses day/time as a file name and going to an earlier time zone would create duplicate file names.......

Great clarity and I am running at highest resolution - not 4K.....
Old 07-09-2018, 09:43 PM
Porsche0911
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Memory card

Originally Posted by mikeearly
Had a 950 hardwired in my Cayenne a couple of weeks ago and just finished a drive from VA to the Porsche Parade at Lake of the Ozarks. Wired with the PMP to the fuse box on the passenger side. Observations thus far. 1) the only micro SD that I can get to work are the Blackview (the one that came with the unit is 16gb) and the Sandisk Ultra (ordered a 128 gb version) -- none of the other Sandisk models (extreme, etc. ) would work for me -- either trouble trying to copy to internal memory or constant rebooting while driving.. Once I settled on the Ultra it worked great for the whole trip. 2) Gave up on the cloud service as it worked ok while at the house but could not see any value while on the road. 3) Seems to work all night long without a problem .... gonna sit for a couple of days here at the Parade so we'll see how it does over a longer period of time.

4) Not totally happy with where it is mounted ... it is high enough to be out of the way but it picks up the rearview mirror housing on the left side of the frame ... I'm thinking seriously of putting a small Porsche decal there and just call it an ad for the in-car camera....

5) Also not sure how the time setting works ... indicates it uses the gps but it kept the time of VA whereas the car clock changed as I crossed time zones... not sure how else it would work since it uses day/time as a file name and going to an earlier time zone would create duplicate file names.......

Great clarity and I am running at highest resolution - not 4K.....
I have heard you need to format the card and install the newest firmware and they may work.
The following users liked this post:
Juggy (08-06-2020)
Old 07-10-2018, 10:52 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

One thing to keep in mind with dash cam memory cards is that you'll get the best life out of a "high endurance" rated card especially made for continuous video streams. Most SD cards support only a modest number of write cycles before they become problematic. Since the dash cam is continually writing to the card this becomes important. Frequent reformatting just makes things worse in the long term for normal cards since even more writes occur. The BlackVue and ThinkWare branded cards are all high endurance cards for example... but their prices are extra high.

For 1080p video a high endurance Class 10 card should work fine, the BlackVue cards are Class 10 cards. For the handful of cameras with resolution greater than 1080p a U1 or better rating is recommended.

You can find quite a few more cost-effective options on Amazon by searching for "High Endurance SD Card" (
Amazon Amazon
). I've been using on of a 64GB high endurance SansDisk card with good results for a long time now in my ThinkWare F800.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:13 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

BlackVue will only work with very specific microSD cards, the fast ones I originally had cause the unit to restart constantly and overheat. I ended up buying one from their compability list and had to issues. No reason to buy their branded one just go with one approved.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:48 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Quick question - can someone tell me if I need to buy extra fuses or taps if I buy a BlackVue 900 2 channel with the Power Magic Pro? Planning on wiring to the passenger side fuse box. Would like to pull the trigger today and not sure what I need - looking at BBMC and need some guidance as to what else I might need. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 11-23-2018, 10:01 PM
Porsche0911
Advanced

Default Just did mine

Just did mine and bought two ATC fuse taps.Still need to get the fuse location finalized. I have no power but had power when I hooked it up.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:03 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Just did mine and bought two ATC fuse taps.Still need to get the fuse location finalized. I have no power but had power when I hooked it up.
Thanks. Was confused about ATC vs ATO, etc fuses. Looking forward to the install soon.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:26 PM
JYT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Right memory capacity?

What’s the right capacity to get for 4K recording
if intention is to have about 1-2 hours of recording and have it keep lapsing?
Old 11-23-2018, 11:37 PM
Porsche0911
Advanced

Default Memory card

I bought a 128gb 7 hours and 20 min record time on 4k UHD@ 30fps + Full HD @ 30 fps
Old 11-23-2018, 11:42 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by jkyrennist
What’s the right capacity to get for 4K recording
if intention is to have about 1-2 hours of recording and have it keep lapsing?
I have a 128gb microSD card and get over 7 hours of recording on it at 4K at the highest setting.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:13 AM
medtech_expat
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Just to reconfirm - the Power Magic Pro does not come with the required fuses and I would still need to purchase two of the APC type. Correct?
Old 11-24-2018, 12:23 AM
JYT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a 128gb 7 hours and 20 min record time on 4k UHD@ 30fps + Full HD @ 30 fps
Originally Posted by Hurricane

I have a 128gb microSD card and get over 7 hours of recording on it at 4K at the highest setting.

thanks!
Old 11-24-2018, 02:49 AM
SeymourButts
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

Alex, I have a quick question about routing the cable for the rear camera. The cable seems pretty long and when you tuck it under the headliner and pillars, is there an extra length of cable you have to deal with? I can't imaging that it it fits exactly. Where to you bunch up the extra length? Thanks.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:52 AM
Porsche0911
Advanced

Default Routing cable

Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Just to reconfirm - the Power Magic Pro does not come with the required fuses and I would still need to purchase two of the APC type. Correct?
I ran the cable to the rear window and then ran the extra cable back and forth in the headliner the entire width of the rear window.

Quick Reply: Just installed BlackVue D900 4K Dashcam!