Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed BlackVue D900 4K Dashcam!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 02:00 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
That's curious, I use it with the 650 and it's fast, 30 mins for a 1 min video doesn't sound right, did you talk to Blackvue?
I haven't had a chance yet, and it isn't that big of a deal as I just go grab the card when I want something right now.

I had my car parked at my brothers place and hooked into his WiFi while I was away. He had a guest stay at his place and the parking mode went off when the guest was out in the garage. I was trying to download the video over the web and that is what took forever. Up close when it is a direct link with my phone, it is much faster. Just don't understand why and at this point I am not that worried about it.

-TJ
The following users liked this post:
Wespe (05-09-2021)
Old 06-04-2018, 03:23 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,224 Likes on 741 Posts

Just finished installing me 900S, well kind of. I upgraded from the 650, so no big deal as the 900 uses the same wires and same rear mount. I did have to take off the old front mount and replace it with the 900 front mount, as those are different. Just plugged it in and seems to work great. True test will be when I take the car out for some live action filming.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:28 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 43 Posts

Is there a Parking Mode and how long does it last for before it shuts down to protect the car battery?

I would be pretty cool to monitor for door dingers, etc!
Old 06-04-2018, 09:39 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 129 Posts

Wow, lots of new fellow D900 users! I think this is a nice solid product with good features.

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
I haven't had a chance yet, and it isn't that big of a deal as I just go grab the card when I want something right now.

I had my car parked at my brothers place and hooked into his WiFi while I was away. He had a guest stay at his place and the parking mode went off when the guest was out in the garage. I was trying to download the video over the web and that is what took forever. Up close when it is a direct link with my phone, it is much faster. Just don't understand why and at this point I am not that worried about it.

-TJ
I just connect to the BlackVue built-in WiFi network and downloading a 1 minute video takes about 30 seconds.

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Just finished installing me 900S, well kind of. I upgraded from the 650, so no big deal as the 900 uses the same wires and same rear mount. I did have to take off the old front mount and replace it with the 900 front mount, as those are different. Just plugged it in and seems to work great. True test will be when I take the car out for some live action filming.
At least you saved yourself some time with the wiring. Much better than having to remove everything and start over again.

Originally Posted by k997
Is there a Parking Mode and how long does it last for before it shuts down to protect the car battery?

I would be pretty cool to monitor for door dingers, etc!
Yes, there is a parking mode. You can select on the Power Pro wiring kit how long you want to keep the camera on, and what is the lowest voltage you want to allow. You can select either 12.5V or 12V.

Haven't tried that yet, as I am still using the 12V outlet that gives me 30 minutes after shutting down the car.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:04 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c

I just connect to the BlackVue built-in WiFi network and downloading a 1 minute video takes about 30 seconds.
Alex, did your phone/computer hook up directly to the unit via wifi, or was it over another wifi network? When I direct connect, it is fast. When it goes over another network it is very slow, but doing it the same way for a live view, it it hooks right up and you can watch things no problem. Not sure the reason for the difference.

-TJ
Old 06-05-2018, 12:17 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Alex, did your phone/computer hook up directly to the unit via wifi, or was it over another wifi network? When I direct connect, it is fast. When it goes over another network it is very slow, but doing it the same way for a live view, it it hooks right up and you can watch things no problem. Not sure the reason for the difference.

-TJ
There are many factors but if you have the car in the garage and it's out of range of the Wifi Router the speed could definitely decrease.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:20 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

There are many factors but if you have the car in the garage and it's out of range of the Wifi Router the speed could definitely decrease.
That would be the slow way to copy content via WiFi from the camera though. You'd want to direct-connect a phone or laptop to the camera's own WiFi hotspot, not route it through the house's router... just like Top Jimmy was recommending.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:22 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by StormRune
That would be the slow way to copy content via WiFi from the camera though. You'd want to direct-connect a phone or laptop to the camera's own WiFi hotspot, not route it through the house's router.
Correct, if it's out of range or the router is not N or AC you want to connect straight to the dash cam
Old 06-05-2018, 12:33 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Yes, there is a parking mode. You can select on the Power Pro wiring kit how long you want to keep the camera on, and what is the lowest voltage you want to allow. You can select either 12.5V or 12V.
FYI: On my prior camera I use the Power Magic Pro even though it wasn't a BlackVue. Even with a fresh battery in the car, I ended up having to use the 12V setting to get any appreciable recording time when parking. It cut out pretty quickly at any higher setting. Even then it didn't seem to have a significant negative effect on start-up, although I only used it that way when I was out in public parking. I'd just unplug the camera when I was at home to reduce any potential harm from the repeated effects of dropping the voltage down to 12. I'm not sure if it was necessary though. If you use a battery tender then it would be no need (I don't any more).

In my truck I just leave its camera in parking mode all of the time (with a voltage and 12 hour time limit cutoff) and it hasn't seemed to create any issues even after doing it for years.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:26 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

-TJ
I connect straight to the BlackVue WiFi.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:29 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
FYI: On my prior camera I use the Power Magic Pro even though it wasn't a BlackVue. Even with a fresh battery in the car, I ended up having to use the 12V setting to get any appreciable recording time when parking. It cut out pretty quickly at any higher setting. Even then it didn't seem to have a significant negative effect on start-up, although I only used it that way when I was out in public parking. I'd just unplug the camera when I was at home to reduce any potential harm from the repeated effects of dropping the voltage down to 12. I'm not sure if it was necessary though. If you use a battery tender then it would be no need (I don't any more).

In my truck I just leave its camera in parking mode all of the time (with a voltage and 12 hour time limit cutoff) and it hasn't seemed to create any issues even after doing it for years.
Thank you for the feedback. I will set it to 12V but keep the switch to OFF unless I'm at a public parking.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:19 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Thank you for the feedback. I will set it to 12V but keep the switch to OFF unless I'm at a public parking.
I had no luck with the Power Magic Pro (not on a Porsche thought) because it kept draining my battery to the point that the car wouldn't start, so for my GT3 I bought a T-Power battery pack and it lasts 20 hours
Old 06-07-2018, 01:05 AM
Peruna
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

I had no luck with the Power Magic Pro (not on a Porsche thought) because it kept draining my battery to the point that the car wouldn't start, so for my GT3 I bought a T-Power battery pack and it lasts 20 hours
I've got a 650S with power magic pro in my 991. I'm happy to take some pics of my wiring and PMP setup and throw them up here. My battery has never died and I've had it in for at least 2 years.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:16 AM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ispool
I've got a 650S with power magic pro in my 991. I'm happy to take some pics of my wiring and PMP setup and throw them up here. My battery has never died and I've had it in for at least 2 years.
Do you have 2ch or 1 ch? What is your avg run time for parking mode? I assume your setting is infinite recording but voltage set to 12.5v or 12v before shuts off?
Old 07-08-2018, 08:07 PM
Porsche0911
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Power for Park Mode

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I just ordered one, will be here on Friday. I've never had a dashcam before. Any installing tips for the novice? (I won't be hardwiring mine.)
I bought the BlackVue Power magic Pro for my DR900S 2ch. BlackBoxMyCar recommends using a battery pack. Are you guys just connecting the Power Magic Pro to the fuse box? how does that do for record time before reaching the 12 volt cut off?
Also I have the Blendmount radar detector mount for my V1 and I am going to look at mounting the DR900S to it instead of my windshield for a stealthier install. I will let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Just installed BlackVue D900 4K Dashcam!