Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed BlackVue D900 4K Dashcam!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 01:17 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by SeymourButts
Alex, I have a quick question about routing the cable for the rear camera. The cable seems pretty long and when you tuck it under the headliner and pillars, is there an extra length of cable you have to deal with? I can't imaging that it it fits exactly. Where to you bunch up the extra length? Thanks.
I tucked the extra behind the c pillar.
Old 11-24-2018, 01:23 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I did not hardware mine. My cameras are plugged into the battery and the battery is plugged into my outlet on the passenger side. I typically unplug it if I am going to leave the car in the garage for a while.
I should add that I later bought an 18” extension cord (with a curly cord like an old house phone) so instead of reaching to the outlet in the passenger side, I turn it on or off in the passenger luggage net, where I have the battery pack (easier to reach).
Old 11-24-2018, 04:24 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 422 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech_expat
Just to reconfirm - the Power Magic Pro does not come with the required fuses and I would still need to purchase two of the APC type. Correct?
They do not appear to come with it - I am just going to buy the Add A Fuse Kit from BBMC. I also found this primer via Amazon, which was helpful for me. Basically get the APO fuses:

"The fuses in question are all the newer blade type fuses... ATO and ATC are actually the same fuse (size and shape), but, "C" stands for closed and the "O" stands for open. That corresponds to whether the fusible link (as seen from the bottom) is "o"pen or "c"losed to the atmosphere. If being used in an explosive environment (in boats for example in the bilge area) you would want to make sure that you used the ATC fuse to be sure that the fuse going off didn't ignite the gas fumes. In automotive uses, it really doesn't matter if you use ATO or ATC, although ATC would be safer in all locations"
Old 12-26-2018, 09:04 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Did you install the Magic Pro yet?
if so where did you put it and which fuses did you use
Old 12-29-2018, 10:29 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Did you install the Magic Pro yet?
if so where did you put it and which fuses did you use
If I recall correctly I used the alarm horn for constant and the garage door opener for switched. I installed in the drivers side so that I could easily switch the Magic Pro on and off if needed.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:12 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Cool, I just finished a install on a my C300, love it

anyone got a fuse box layout for the 991.2?
Old 12-30-2018, 12:54 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyberbug
Cool, I just finished a install on a my C300, love it

anyone got a fuse box layout for the 991.2?
i got it from the manual if you have that.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:14 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wujohn

i got it from the manual if you have that.
got it , thanks
Old 12-31-2018, 11:34 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts

Alex or anyone w/ the D900, have any of you tried to read the recorded files in 4k? It seems to be recorded 1 file per every minute. Anyone know how to change this? It's super annoying when it says there's an impact during parking mode, but I have to go through 50+ files to find that impact.

Thanks
Old 01-01-2019, 12:12 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

There is no way to change the 1min file limit. Easy way is to use the filters in the app.
Which will allow you to see only the type of recoding you want to see. There are 4 types of filters.

also be careful, if you change certain camera settings all files on card will be deleted but it will give you a pop up warning, don’t ignore it.

also on android you have to disable mobile data to view files, hopefully this will be fixed in future updates.

i just started using it, let me if any other questions
Old 01-01-2019, 08:40 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I have a ThinkWare that also uses 1 minute chunks but stores the files for each type of event in a separate folder. So I assumed the BlackVue does the same and looked at the D900 manual just to see.

Like Cyberbug says, the BlackVue makes it so you can filter for each event type. Instead of directories, the BlackVue tags the filename of each file with a one-character extension reflecting the event type and one character denoting front or rear. So an impact event file for the front camera is marked with a _PF extension and a motion event during parking is _EF. If you use their app for viewing the files you can filter for just these files.

Here's a link to the manual download if you need one: https://www.blackvue.com/download/dr...anual-english/. Pages 33 and 34 describe this in detail.

One other important observation. In parking mode the camera shouldn't be recording the entire time, just when motion is detected or an impact occurs, so it should be easy to find just those files. You shouldn't have a bunch of files to dig through if parking mode is hooked up correctly and the camera isn't recording continuously. If it is recording all of the time, you are using far more power and will run down your battery much faster. Are you sure the camera is switching the parking mode?
Old 01-01-2019, 08:46 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

The camera is actually constantly recording so in case of an event it will save the file, if nothing happens it will overwrite the data. The iPhone app allows you to connect to the dash cam via WiFi and review the event log, then you can save the videos as needed.

If you have too many events in parking mode the sensitivity may be set too high, try to lower it.

I have the 900s with the additional battery unit and I'm disappointed that there is no geofencing option, I don't need the camera to record overnight when in the garage and all it does is drain the battery unit.

Originally Posted by StormRune
I have a ThinkWare that also uses 1 minute chunks but stores the files for each type of event in a separate folder. So I assumed the BlackVue does the same and looked at the D900 manual just to see.

Like Cyberbug says, the BlackVue makes it so you can filter for each event type. Instead of directories, the BlackVue tags the filename of each file with a one-character extension reflecting the event type and one character denoting front or rear. So an impact event file for the front camera is marked with a _PF extension and a motion event during parking is _EF. If you use their app for viewing the files you can filter for just these files.

Here's a link to the manual download if you need one: https://www.blackvue.com/download/dr...anual-english/. Pages 33 and 34 describe this in detail.

One other important observation. In parking mode the camera shouldn't be recording the entire time, just when motion is detected or an impact occurs, so it should be easy to find just those files. You shouldn't have a bunch of files to dig through if parking mode is hooked up correctly and the camera isn't recording continuously. If it is recording all of the time, you are using far more power and will run down your battery much faster. Are you sure the camera is switching the parking mode?
Old 01-01-2019, 09:00 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
The camera is actually constantly recording so in case of an event it will save the file, if nothing happens it will overwrite the data....
Not that it matters too much since the end result is a recorded file, but I believe your understanding of this is incorrect. From the manual: "In parking mode the dashcam continuously buffers video. When motion is detected in the dashcam's field of view, it saves a parking recording beginning 5 seconds before the motion detection."

In programmer-speak, when a camera "buffers video", we are only referring to keeping it in memory for writing later. Since the recorded file begins exactly 5 seconds before the event, this file isn't just a normal file that was already recorded to a file and saved, it was one extracted from the memory buffer at just the right time to catch the event and written to the file from that point on.

In either case, there should only be files saved during events of event during parking mode.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:08 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

That's correct I didn't want to get too technical between buffering/writing, I was actually addressing your comment about power usage in parking mode, I can double check how much power the camera is draining thru the external battery app next time.

Originally Posted by StormRune
Not that it matters too much since the end result is a recorded file, but I believe your understanding of this is incorrect. From the manual: "In parking mode the dashcam continuously buffers video. When motion is detected in the dashcam's field of view, it saves a parking recording beginning 5 seconds before the motion detection."

In programmer-speak, when a camera "buffers video", we are only referring to keeping it in memory for writing later. Since the recorded file begins exactly 5 seconds before the event, this file isn't just a normal file that was already recorded to a file and saved, it was one extracted from the memory buffer at just the right time to catch the event and written to the file from that point on.

In either case, there should only be files saved during events of event during parking mode.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:30 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
That's correct I didn't want to get too technical between buffering/writing, I was actually addressing your comment about power usage in parking mode, I can double check how much power the camera is draining thru the external battery app next time.
Cool! I'd be interested in seeing the results.

Working in machine vision myself I know that the processing required to do simple motion detection should require a little more power drain that you'd have with motion detection turned off and only impact detection via the accelerometers was used. If you wouldn't mind taking readings with both motion detection on and off I'd certainly be interested in seeing if there was a measurable difference, On my ThinkWare I keep motion detection turned off just assuming that this is the case.

On a further thought along that line, I found that motion detection was capturing just too much stuff when out in public and got annoyed at impact detection since it triggered each time I got back in the car. So I ended up preferring the ThinkWare's third mode where in parking mode it can store video at a single frame-per-second, keeping the file sizes small. It seems the BlackVue doesn't have this option, but I'm still considering a switch to the D900 to get that higher 4k resolution.

Quick Reply: Just installed BlackVue D900 4K Dashcam!