Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed BlackVue D900 4K Dashcam!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 05:36 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 38 Posts

Here's how I did my mounts. I tried to tuck everything in as tight as possible so that it wasn't in my field of view. I also hate seeing wiring, so I made the cable management really tight as well, which required mounting the camera's upside down and then setting the blackvue software to flip the video feed. Overall turned our really nice, including working well with the radar placement.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:47 AM
chris2
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 43 Posts

Just installed this today, it was super easy thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It only took about an hour and then some additional time for configuration. We'll see how the cameras hold up but I am pleased with the quality overall so far.

Only one small hiccup in the installation process: my Uniden R7 was picking up KA for the entirety of my test drive after install. I thought I was being tailed by CHP but it turns out the radar detector picked up a really weak KA band signal from the 5GHz wifi. I had to change the BlackVue to 2.4GHz (which isn't my preference) to get rid of the errant KA band detection.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:43 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by chris2
Just installed this today, it was super easy thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. It only took about an hour and then some additional time for configuration. We'll see how the cameras hold up but I am pleased with the quality overall so far.

Only one small hiccup in the installation process: my Uniden R7 was picking up KA for the entirety of my test drive after install. I thought I was being tailed by CHP but it turns out the radar detector picked up a really weak KA band signal from the 5GHz wifi. I had to change the BlackVue to 2.4GHz (which isn't my preference) to get rid of the errant KA band detection.
or if possible, move your cam or RD further away from each other
Old 06-07-2019, 12:14 PM
ScreaminBejesus
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It seems very unlikely that 5GHz transmissions from the BlackVue would interfere with a > 26GHz Ka Band receiver. I suspect there’s another source of interference.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:15 AM
JosephSeed
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone tried the Kenwood DDX9703S head unit?
I've been doing research about it in the last 2-3 days and it is the best rated Kenwood model on Amazon.
It has all the features I need and more and I barely could find negatives.
This site https://greatestspeakers.com/kenwood-ddx9703s-review/ said that there's always a legal notice pop-up when you start it, but other than that the unit seems to be good.
Anyone has this double DIN?
Am I choosing the best one or are there better alternatives out there?

Thanks
Old 08-23-2019, 04:31 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 164 Posts

Is there anything that last longer? I will be parking and sometimes not driving for up to a week but want incident recording.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:25 PM
Diamond Dog
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

can someone tell me how much recording time or standby time (ready to record) they are getting in hours when they are using the Power Magic Pro?
Old 09-24-2019, 08:50 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Any thoughts on the following?
- looking to have cameras running all the time when driving
- parked at home, not on
- parked out and about 10min - > 4-5hrs recording.

Seems like i just need the camera system and the magic box... is there a configurations to only record in park mode for up X hours? Im worried i may forget to disable as i park for upwards of a week at my house without driving.
Old 09-25-2019, 12:48 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
I decided to finish the installation and just connect the whole thing to the 12V plug on the passenger footwell. The advantage of that 12V plug is that it remains active up to 30 minutes after you shut down the car, so you get up to 30 minutes of Parking mode recording.
Thank you for that tidbit... I had a collision last week where a guy reversed into me and later claimed I crashed into him. Thankfully my beater had a dash cam and not only did I prevail, he is in trouble now for lying to the insurance ;-) Karma - I did not mention the cam at the time of the accident on purpose. So I bought 3 more (one for each car) and decided to do the 991. I also used the footwell and when in my garage it shut down eventually as I was finishing routing the wire, so I was happy that seemed like a switched plug. Then this AM I drove to work for the first time with the 991+cam and the damn thing would seem not to turn off. I didn't know it was a 30 minutes delay - seemed faster in my garage. I was worried I'd have to jump start the car tonight ;-) Thanks !
The following users liked this post:
alex_c (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 02:28 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by M3the01
Any thoughts on the following?
- looking to have cameras running all the time when driving
- parked at home, not on
- parked out and about 10min - > 4-5hrs recording.

Seems like i just need the camera system and the magic box... is there a configurations to only record in park mode for up X hours? Im worried i may forget to disable as i park for upwards of a week at my house without driving.
I have the 900S with the power magic pro box. I have it set to voltage. Mine records up to 4-6hrs after parked then turns off once my battery hits a certain voltage. I dont toggle mine on or off. It simply records 24/7 unless the battery voltage is low. To me, having it record when parked at home doesn't bother me at all. If something falls on it, door dings it, or hits it in any way, I want to know.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:36 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I have the 900S with the power magic pro box. I have it set to voltage. Mine records up to 4-6hrs after parked then turns off once my battery hits a certain voltage. I dont toggle mine on or off. It simply records 24/7 unless the battery voltage is low. To me, having it record when parked at home doesn't bother me at all. If something falls on it, door dings it, or hits it in any way, I want to know.
Did u use a battery? How did you get constant power as i heard everything shuts down after 30min? Any details on your car and your setup would be awesome. Ty.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:46 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Did u use a battery? How did you get constant power as i heard everything shuts down after 30min? Any details on your car and your setup would be awesome. Ty.
No. I simply installed the power magic box. Which is three wires. 12V constant, 12v triggered and ground. I used T taps for the 12V lines. I dont remember which fuses I used (I can take a peek) but I do remember that whatever fuses I used, one of them was OPEN. Meaning I didnt have a fuse in it at all. Using the T taps allowed me to take power from it, but not make a connection to the car (meaning, I didnt just add a fuse to the CARs side). In my case, whatever open fuse it was that I used, was for an option my car didnt have.

Mine is installed on the passenger side. And my power magic is hidden behind the passenger foot well carpet. The vertical foot part pulls down and you will see the firewall and the box fit perfectly behind there. I didnt want to see mine and I dont plan on turning it on or off. To me, the voltage limit does all I need it to do.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:51 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

H

Old 09-26-2019, 03:04 PM
M3the01
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
No. I simply installed the power magic box. Which is three wires. 12V constant, 12v triggered and ground. I used T taps for the 12V lines. I dont remember which fuses I used (I can take a peek) but I do remember that whatever fuses I used, one of them was OPEN. Meaning I didnt have a fuse in it at all. Using the T taps allowed me to take power from it, but not make a connection to the car (meaning, I didnt just add a fuse to the CARs side). In my case, whatever open fuse it was that I used, was for an option my car didnt have.

Mine is installed on the passenger side. And my power magic is hidden behind the passenger foot well carpet. The vertical foot part pulls down and you will see the firewall and the box fit perfectly behind there. I didnt want to see mine and I dont plan on turning it on or off. To me, the voltage limit does all I need it to do.
Awesome, what model, year?
Old 09-26-2019, 09:58 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Awesome, what model, year?
2019 911 GTS.

Quick Reply: Just installed BlackVue D900 4K Dashcam!