Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 991.2 GTS allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018 | 12:51 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Here is a tip for folks wanting GTS allocation. Simply buy a 991.2 S that has the options you want, and after you receive it, get the X51 Power Kit dealer - installed. Voile! On the 991.2, that is a very reasonable cost upgrade on a 991.2 S, and gives you everything you ever wanted in a 991.2 GTS. Unless you want the Alcantara seat surfaces which i don't care for...
I think everyone tried that, mine priced out at $4k below GTS but no black wheels and no Alcantara interior and seats. Ended up buying used.
Old 07-05-2018 | 12:54 AM
kennypowers
Instructor

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
Here is a tip for folks wanting GTS allocation. Simply buy a 991.2 S that has the options you want, and after you receive it, get the X51 Power Kit dealer - installed. Voile! On the 991.2, that is a very reasonable cost upgrade on a 991.2 S, and gives you everything you ever wanted in a 991.2 GTS. Unless you want the Alcantara seat surfaces which i don't care for...
and no widebody or centerlock wheels

i think they are both great cars but the gts is a better package
Old 07-05-2018 | 01:25 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by _RS_
Hi Ecosse911, welcome. Nice build, patience is required. May I suggest looking at the Alcantara steering wheel (aka multi-function heated). Nice and grippy and matching the GTS interior as a bonus.
Brit ex-pat too, also went through a few S and RS Audi's.
Steering wheel is one of my smaller dilemmas, stay with the Alcantara or change to leather? I am concerned about the longevity of the Alcantara. I like Alcantara but my SA warned about any lotions getting on the wheel will quickly make it shiny. My wife will occasionally drive it and there is no way she will wear gloves 😳

Appreciate experience on the wear and longevity of the Alcantara.

Alternative is that I would go with a leather with deviated stitching. I have the GTS Carmen red deviated stitched interior. Is it possible to get the steering wheel matched with this option? I didn’t see this option or the option to have the steering column surround in leather with matching deviated. Maybe I’m missing something?

Two other options minor choices
1) Bose - to be honest I wasn’t personally impressed. The standard wasn’t great, the Bose was better but I wasn’t feeling that it so much better to be a must have, probably just a personal choice.
2) Gloss black handles, it’s another personal style choice. I’m interested in anyone who has this option to know if they end up all scratched up

Thanks

Old 07-05-2018 | 07:37 PM
JAMilford
Racer

Originally Posted by Ecosse911

Steering wheel is one of my smaller dilemmas, stay with the Alcantara or change to leather? I am concerned about the longevity of the Alcantara. I like Alcantara but my SA warned about any lotions getting on the wheel will quickly make it shiny. My wife will occasionally drive it and there is no way she will wear gloves 😳

Appreciate experience on the wear and longevity of the Alcantara.

Alternative is that I would go with a leather with deviated stitching. I have the GTS Carmen red deviated stitched interior. Is it possible to get the steering wheel matched with this option? I didn’t see this option or the option to have the steering column surround in leather with matching deviated. Maybe I’m missing something?

Two other options minor choices
1) Bose - to be honest I wasn’t personally impressed. The standard wasn’t great, the Bose was better but I wasn’t feeling that it so much better to be a must have, probably just a personal choice.
2) Gloss black handles, it’s another personal style choice. I’m interested in anyone who has this option to know if they end up all scratched up

Thanks

I wen leather multi-function steering wheel. A close friend of mine has an alcantara wheel and is not happy with it, For a while he spent a lot of time trying to maintain it and while it worked, he says it was a lot of effort.

I spent a fair amount of time listening to the Bose and the Base in a GTS (albeit one was a C2 and the other a C4). The Bose definitely has better base response that was noticeable when parked. Once on the road, I could,t really tell the difference in base until the volume was turned up significantly (higher than I would ever use normally). As a result,I went with the Base stereo. The Burm did sound much better iacross the board n a C4S, but not worth the price to me at least.
Old 07-05-2018 | 08:04 PM
TTFLT6
Rennlist Member

Plenty of threads on Alcantara. I went with it to complete the GTS look and I like the feel. Worst case I have it refreshed in a few years. It’s good enough for all Porsche GT cars.

And, get this for the hand cream concern. :-)
Old 07-05-2018 | 11:52 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TTFLT6

Plenty of threads on Alcantara. I went with it to complete the GTS look and I like the feel. Worst case I have it refreshed in a few years. It’s good enough for all Porsche GT cars.

And, get this for the hand cream concern. :-)
But you also have the option to spec it with leather.
Old 07-06-2018 | 12:19 AM
Werks 1
Racer

Its a personal pref. issue...I have the leather wrapped in my GTS w/ GTS interior...I do not like the feel of alcantara on my hands all the time......
Old 07-06-2018 | 12:56 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAMilford
I wen leather multi-function steering wheel. A close friend of mine has an alcantara wheel and is not happy with it, For a while he spent a lot of time trying to maintain it and while it worked, he says it was a lot of effort.

I spent a fair amount of time listening to the Bose and the Base in a GTS (albeit one was a C2 and the other a C4). The Bose definitely has better base response that was noticeable when parked. Once on the road, I could,t really tell the difference in base until the volume was turned up significantly (higher than I would ever use normally). As a result,I went with the Base stereo. The Burm did sound much better iacross the board n a C4S, but not worth the price to me at least.
I was already leaning towards a leather wheel and your friends experience lends some more weight to delete the Alcantara. The Bose is another personal choice but I think we both had a very similar experience. It’s better but not worth the additional cost, and overall I am not buying the car to listen to the stereo.

Thanks I appreciate your input
Old 07-06-2018 | 12:58 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Werks 1
Its a personal pref. issue...I have the leather wrapped in my GTS w/ GTS interior...I do not like the feel of alcantara on my hands all the time......
Thanks for all the input. It seems that it’s pretty common to delete the Alcantara... I am going to follow along with the masses
Old 07-06-2018 | 02:32 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ecosse911

Thanks for all the input. It seems that it’s pretty common to delete the Alcantara... I am going to follow along with the masses

You need to decide for yourself on Alcantara before deleting it, go try/see it, I've had Alcantara seats in five of my cars in 15+ years and now it's a deal breaker for me. I've also found the leather used around the edges of the seats is not the luxury type and doesn't crease and wrinkle like my other leather interiors. Love (slippery sweaty) leather, prefer Alcantara.

PM me if you have enough posts to allow.

Last edited by _RS_; 07-06-2018 at 02:50 AM.
Old 07-06-2018 | 02:44 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

You need to decide for yourself on Alcantara before deleting it, go try/see it, I've had Alcantara seats in five of my cars cars in 15+ years and now it's a deal breaker for me. I've also found the leather used around the edges of the seats is not the luxury type and doesn't crease and wrinkle like my other leather interiors. Love (slippery sweaty) leather, prefer Alcantara. PM me if you have enough posts to allow.
Sorry I should clarify.... delete “Alcantara steering wheel”. I am keeping the Alcantara seats. I really like the look of Alcantara but I have real concerns about its longevity on a steering wheel. My SA also expressed some concerns and others have also chimed in on this thread. My GTS will be used a few days a week so not just a weekend warrior.
Old 07-06-2018 | 03:06 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Understood, thanks for clarifying. I have my first A-wheel on my 911 now and regret not getting it on my Macan. It seems like new to me after one year, but I'm not a hand-palm lotion person (while in public), so I can imagine that being a bit of an issue. And then again, quite dangerous on a leather wheel so I'm a bit lost on that one. Alcantara from the early 2000 era on Audi has a "knotting" issue where it would ball up and needed shaving, but not since then. I had white once but so easy to clean.
Old 07-06-2018 | 12:59 PM
medias116
Advanced

You need to decide for yourself on Alcantara before deleting it, go try/see it, I've had Alcantara seats in five of my cars in 15+ years and now it's a deal breaker for me. I've also found the leather used around the edges of the seats is not the luxury type and doesn't crease and wrinkle like my other leather interiors. Love (slippery sweaty) leather, prefer Alcantara.

PM me if you have enough posts to allow.
fwiw - I picked the black/silver sport-Tex option for this seats and leather wheel.
I sat in a new 911 T and just loved the sport-Tex! Seems It will avoid the sweaty leather and you get “free” Deviated stitching
Old 07-06-2018 | 01:39 PM
GTSdds
Instructor

IME, the alcantara gets buggered up due to palm sweat. Leather gets shiny and slick(er) with time.
Wear driving gloves if you want to keep either fresh feeling.
Old 07-06-2018 | 05:52 PM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

Originally Posted by GTSdds
IME, the alcantara gets buggered up due to palm sweat. Leather gets shiny and slick(er) with time.
Wear driving gloves if you want to keep either fresh feeling.
Mabey my CF steering was not a regret after all

Quick Reply: New 991.2 GTS allocation Thread