Sponsored by:

PSE Install on 991.1 4S

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 06:00 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default PSE Install on 991.1 4S

I recently installed the PSE onto my 991.1 C4S Cab. I did a ton of research on various threads and forums (with some conflicting information), and I just wanted to give my two cents and try to consolidate the info into one new thread for anyone with an S. Hope it’s helpful!

Ordering parts: Here are the essentials:

991-111-437-07 The front muffler (side mufflers are same on PSE as an S)

991-111-482-00 X2 Exhaust gaskets

991-111-491-00 Stainless steel vacuum tube between 991-111-488-00 to plastic vacuum tube

991-111-492-00 Stainless steel vacuum tube for between the valves on PSE itself
Note: Special crimping tool is needed for this ($70-$90). I just used pliers. I guess time will tell, but seemed to do the trick

900-918-005-40 Plastic Vacuum Tubing

991-613-967-07 Switch assembly (part number will vary depending on your vehicles VIN and options) see below.

999-651-401-01 Metal clamp to hold vacuum tube

06E-113-794 T joint for vacuum tube (was missing or I missed it when I was doing my research on forums)

991-111-488-00 Metal double sided male connection for vacuum tube through heat shield

Optional:

My car was from So Cal so there was zero rust. Everything was reusable. I recommend poking around before tearing stuff apart to see if you have any seized bolts or brackets.

948-110-126-00 Elbow for vacuum tubing. I tore mine slightly when removing the tube, might be a good idea to have one handy

Various bolts and clamps, again check for rust and seized parts.

Exhaust tips: With my search, there’s a bit of back on fourth on whether or not you can use the base S tips on the PSE center muffler. In short, unless you have an extra $1k burning a hole in your pockets, the standard tips are fine. Also if that’s the case, please send it my way. If you point a flashlight from the center of the car towards the back, you can see a bit of light coming through the gap between the tip and the new muffler. In any real world situation, you cant notice and I’m as **** as they come. See the pic below:

Installation:

Overall I’d say very DIY’able, I’m of average mechanical ability. There’s also a local shop that rents lift bays and tools. Semi helpful if you don’t have those weird tools that ze Germans like to use.

Great guide on how to remove the muffler starting on page 2 ( I know it’s a PSE muffler, but it’s the same process). Credit to Larry Cable:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9295...all-gts-2.html

Guide on the installation, (credit to bittrl1000 lots of pics and tips):

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8190...-a-991s-2.html

I also have the PDF of Porsche’s shop manual on the process if anyone wants that.

Like many others’ experience, it took about 3.5 hours, for me the hardest part to follow was the vacuum tubing.

Center switch path: I spoke with the parts department from Sunset and Suncoast and they both confirmed that though unfortunately, even though all you need are 2 pieces of plastic that should cost $1 total, Porsche only sells you the kit as a whole with an entirely new switch and the buttons, that you have to install yourself (to add insult to injury). The good news is that it’s a very simple DIY. Here’s the link (credit to plenums): http://plenums.blogspot.ca/2014/12/d...r-console.html

Programming the PSE: It does need to be done for full effect. There was about a week between the time I completed the install to when they were able to get me in for programming, and there was a noticeable sound difference, especially in Sport mode after lifting off the throttle. Also I read something about needing a code to program the PSE, this is true (I forgot to ask the dealer to elaborate). So be weary of buying used off eBay unless they can provide the code.

Overall pretty straightforward process. Thanks to everyone on Rennlist and the other forums that gave me something to do for an afternoon and saved me a few grand!

Last edited by jungkim1234; 04-30-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:13 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice work! Thanks for providing the extra info.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:04 PM
TwoBit
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh man just in time. I'm about to do this upgrade right now and was confused at all the parts I need to get. I didn't want to order the complete package as I know a lot of it is not necessary as you've indicated and it sure helps saving some money on top of that. Thank you for this!
Old 04-30-2018, 02:06 PM
TwoBit
Advanced

Oh and where did you order your parts from anyways? Was it Suncoast?
Old 04-30-2018, 02:29 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Cheers guys.

TwoBit, I ordered from Sunset. Luckily for me they are known for great prices and ten minutes from my house. I hear Suncoast is great as well.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:33 PM
TwoBit
Advanced

Originally Posted by jungkim1234
Cheers guys.

TwoBit, I ordered from Sunset. Luckily for me they are known for great prices and ten minutes from my house. I hear Suncoast is great as well.
Did you just provide them with the parts you've listed above? Mind telling me what price you got for it? I'll make the call today giving them this list.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:41 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

$1,267.67 (without the T joint, should only be a buck or two), and the switch assembly will vary depending on VIN.

I got a list from one of the forums, and the parts dept double checked everything and said it sounded about right.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:45 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Was the vacuum tubing you purchased everything that was required or did your 4S already have some in place from the factory system? I know my base requires a bit more since it has no vacuum valves from the factory, but unclear how much,

Did the new switch panel or your existing switch panel harness include everything necessary for the new PSE button to actually communicate to the system?
Old 04-30-2018, 03:17 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

The base is going to be a completely different beast. The S comes with the hardest part of the vacuum tubing in place (as well as a resonator I think), The base would require at least all the parts above, plus the side mufflers, additional vacuum tubing, an additional COV, and some wiring harness among other things.

The installation is also MUCH more involved (removing interior trim and carpet and adding wiring), for me it probably goes from DIY to requiring a pro.

As for the switch panel, it comes with everything you need, and a bunch of extra buttons. It's plug and play (aside from the dealer programming needed), and just has one wiring harness plug in.

If anyone has experience with the base upgrade, feel free to chime in!
Old 04-30-2018, 03:40 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

thanks for the info, I am looking into this as well. This part list cost less than the PSE kit offered on the Suncoast's website. I am guessing the difference in cost is the Exhaust tips? (which is about $1000)

am i right?

I really didnt want to pay $2600 for the PSE but for under $1500, that's much more reasonable

How much did the dealership charged you for programming the PSE?
Old 04-30-2018, 03:45 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jungkim1234
The base is going to be a completely different beast. The S comes with the hardest part of the vacuum tubing in place (as well as a resonator I think), The base would require at least all the parts above, plus the side mufflers, additional vacuum tubing, an additional COV, and some wiring harness among other things.

The installation is also MUCH more involved (removing interior trim and carpet and adding wiring), for me it probably goes from DIY to requiring a pro.

As for the switch panel, it comes with everything you need, and a bunch of extra buttons. It's plug and play (aside from the dealer programming needed), and just has one wiring harness plug in.

If anyone has experience with the base upgrade, feel free to chime in!
Thanks for the input. Confirms what I feared.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:05 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Originally Posted by vodkag
thanks for the info, I am looking into this as well. This part list cost less than the PSE kit offered on the Suncoast's website. I am guessing the difference in cost is the Exhaust tips? (which is about $1000)

am i right?

I really didnt want to pay $2600 for the PSE but for under $1500, that's much more reasonable

How much did the dealership charged you for programming the PSE?
Correct the tips are the big ticket item, there's a few other odds and ends like the muffler brackets ($100+ total) that should be easily reusable. With programming you should be right around the $1,500 mark. I had some warranty work done so they didn't charge me, but from what I hear it's about they charge about an hours worth of labor for it (also with some minor other shop fees).

My bank account isn't nearly the size of 99% of the people on here, but that being said, if you can DIY, I think it's worth it!
Old 04-30-2018, 04:08 PM
TwoBit
Advanced

Does anyone happen to know what the dealer charges to do this installation? I just picked up this S last week and reluctant to do my own work at this point even though I'm pretty sure I can tackle it.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:29 PM
TwoBit
Advanced

Geez...I just called Porsche of West Houston and they quoted me $1,500 for the installation. Called another place too and they will get back to me after discussing it with a technician. If it is indeed that price, I guess I will end up doing it myself.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:43 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Originally Posted by TwoBit
Geez...I just called Porsche of West Houston and they quoted me $1,500 for the installation. Called another place too and they will get back to me after discussing it with a technician. If it is indeed that price, I guess I will end up doing it myself.
I never got a quote, but from what I've read 4-5 hours at $120+ an hour labor.....$5-600? That's awfully high, your quote is for a S not a base right? That sounds reasonable for the extra labor for a base. Assuming you have a S, it's not too bad of a DIY, I'm of average mechanical ability. Maybe some local RL's can babysit for a few beers?

Quick Reply: PSE Install on 991.1 4S