Sponsored by:

991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 11:48 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
MotoIQ results who I have never even heard of before?
MotoIQ has been around about a decade, started by Mike Kojima. Kojima is a former Nissan engineer, wrote for Sport Compact Car, and started MotoIQ when SCC died. Contributors have included lead Mazda engineers, lead WEC/LeMans engine engineer at Honda Performance Development, Honeywell Turbo/Garrett engineer, among others. It slants towards more tech and data. Check out some of their stuff under Tech and the Forced Induction section. I would also suggest looking under Features > Feature Cars > Road Race cars among other cool sections. There are a few Porsche races cars in there.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:59 PM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

BGB is trying to develop a 991.2 race car and sharing with the community. Vektor jumps in trying to sell their product, but otherwise not contributing to BGB's efforts.

Poor form IMO. Start your own thread/advertisement.

(I do not know or have any connection to BGB)
Old 08-19-2018, 08:49 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 607 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
MotoIQ has been around about a decade, started by Mike Kojima. Kojima is a former Nissan engineer, wrote for Sport Compact Car, and started MotoIQ when SCC died. Contributors have included lead Mazda engineers, lead WEC/LeMans engine engineer at Honda Performance Development, Honeywell Turbo/Garrett engineer, among others. It slants towards more tech and data. Check out some of their stuff under Tech and the Forced Induction section. I would also suggest looking under Features > Feature Cars > Road Race cars among other cool sections. There are a few Porsche races cars in there.
I road raced with NASA in their Honda Challenge class in 2003 and 2004 alongside Mike Kojima when I lived in So Cal and he is indeed a very good dude who is also quite sharp!

Originally Posted by mdrums
I’ll be doing a track day at Sebring on September 6th. My GTS is stock....so,it will be interesting to see what my oil and coolant temps go up to. My past track events were in much cooler weather with this car.

Ill keep and eye on temps and write them down and report back.
Mike,

If I can get all these parts on my car before we get back from the 6 days at Road America that precedes the Sebring event I will bring it to Sebring and we can compare notes.

Thanks for the support!

John
Old 08-19-2018, 11:32 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,506 Likes on 810 Posts

Wish Vektor would let you test a set of their headers. If they yielded positive results I would probably buy them. You should try and get a e85 tune to really crank up the boost
Old 08-19-2018, 11:33 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

I'm going to get a set and do the testing here in CT. I will report back with dyno charts ASAP.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:39 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
I road raced with NASA in their Honda Challenge class in 2003 and 2004 alongside Mike Kojima when I lived in So Cal and he is indeed a very good dude who is also quite sharp!

John
Small world.... So you've probably met Dave Coleman (Mazda head engineer), Eric Hsu (HPD), Chuck and Annie Johnson (JE Pistons back in the day), and pro-driver Billy Johnson (Chip Ganassi/Ford GT). MotoIQ list of contributors is pretty high talent.
Old 08-19-2018, 01:42 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

spdracerut: Never heard of any of them, but I am not in the industry so I wouldnt know.

I do have zero talent and experience but, I have a car and a dyno so we're gonna see right quick how much motoiq's talent pool results compares to mine..

Should be interesting..
Old 08-19-2018, 06:59 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by rw229
BGB is trying to develop a 991.2 race car and sharing with the community. Vektor jumps in trying to sell their product, but otherwise not contributing to BGB's efforts.

Poor form IMO. Start your own thread/advertisement.

(I do not know or have any connection to BGB)
I disagree. We were discussing headers. We posted pics of Vektor's product. I am always happy to hear from individual product manufacturers, especially board sponsors.
It just happened that we were at Headers. Mainly because that's where I am up to lol. I apologise for being impatient and slightly ahead of the curve. But the information will always be here for people to pick and choose which bits they want.

I will try and slow down and let John catch up. (Hurry up JOHN....hahahah)

We will eventually get to Spring rates which is what I really want to dive into. I also have huge interest in the third radiator and the upgraded PWR. I am leaning towards AKRA 300 Cell cats and Vektor headers. I will leave the cans until last. Really looking forward to COBB stage 2. Stage 1 loading on today. I hope to get a before and after dyno as well. I have stock, and IPD dyno. Then can add AMS dyno and then all that with COBB.

Its a smorgasboard. I have no affiliation with anyone at all. I am not in the car industry and I am not promoting or selling anything at all. I just love modding cars and I want a killer GTS.
I have the DSC module, and a stack of Elephant racing adjustable control arms. And MPSC2. I want to try TorfeoR next. Again I welcome everyones input on their products.

P.S. Hurry up John. Hahahahah
Old 08-19-2018, 08:18 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
spdracerut: Never heard of any of them, but I am not in the industry so I wouldnt know.

I do have zero talent and experience but, I have a car and a dyno so we're gonna see right quick how much motoiq's talent pool results compares to mine..

Should be interesting..
Excited to see the results!
Old 08-19-2018, 08:35 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
We will eventually get to Spring rates which is what I really want to dive into. I also have huge interest in the third radiator and the upgraded PWR. I am leaning towards AKRA 300 Cell cats and Vektor headers. I will leave the cans until last. Really looking forward to COBB stage 2. Stage 1 loading on today. I hope to get a before and after dyno as well. I have stock, and IPD dyno. Then can add AMS dyno and then all that with COBB.
For a track car, I say you can't have enough cooling. And with the upgraded power from the COBB tune, that means even more heat to reject.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:33 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Mike,

If I can get all these parts on my car before we get back from the 6 days at Road America that precedes the Sebring event I will bring it to Sebring and we can compare notes.

Thanks for the support!

John
Sweet....there’s a few spots left open for the Separation 6th day...get with Peter TrakCar...he rented the track and we are running windows up AC on if you want to do that.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:28 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

And now back to our regularly scheduled program. These arrived about :20 min ago from Germany. I was sent both versions from Cargraphic, with and without cats.

I recorded a video at idle with and without the flaps open and logged the decibel readings when we revved it to about 4K. More to come...
Attached Images  

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 08-20-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:53 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

It's a bit rudimentary but i used the iPhone db app and took some data:

SOUND AT IDLE / REVVED TO 4K RPM FROM 8 FEET AWAY:
Stock Downpipe / Valves Closed: 78db - 90db
Stock Downpipe / Valves Open: 82db - 100 db
Cargraphic Catless Downpipe / Valves Closed: 84db - 100db
Cargraphic Catless Downpipe / Valves Opened: 90db - 115db

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 08-20-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:29 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

It's a bit rudimentary but i used the iPhone db app and took some data:

SOUND AT IDLE / REVVED TO 4K RPM FROM 8 FEET AWAY:
Stock Downpipe / Valves Closed: 78db - 90db
Stock Downpipe / Valves Open: 82db - 100 db
Cargraphic Catless Downpipe / Valves Closed: 84db - 100db
Cargraphic Catless Downpipe / Valves Opened: 90db - 115db

https://youtu.be/mQg5gdUXE0w
Nice. I hope everyone knows that for every ten db the sound is doubled. Meaning that 100db is in fact twice as loud as 90db. 115db is 2.5 times louder than 100db which was twice as loud as 90db. Capiche?

Summary, Catless and 115db is LOUD ok. LOL. (It is cool that with values closed, it is similar to stock values open. That probably makes it liveable.

But I don't want to attract that much attention. I will most likely go 200 or 300 cell Sports cats.

"I posted this before the vid came up. Sounds good. Flame very cool. How loud does it sound in your ear? How many cells are the cargraphic cats? "
Old 08-22-2018, 03:11 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Can we discuss Spring rates whilst we are waiting?

I still have not been able to find what the GTS spring rates are.

Carrera S 33/108 N/mm
991.2 GT3 45/120 (Same as most older GT3-RS)
991.2 GT3-RS 100/160

Ohlins recommend up grading your GT3 to 100/160.

The Tarmac guys I spoke to said the most they would run for Tarmac would be 70/130. (They ran 70/120 and said great on road, but unstable on track) Then they recommeded 100/180 for mainly Track use.

My car is more of an all rounder. So I am thinking more along the lines of 80/150. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: 991.2 Base/S/GTS Modification & Race Track Prep Thread