Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thou shall not throw stones!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018 | 05:33 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Originally Posted by skiahh
Since he said he's going to go SOUTH to Maine or Massachusetts, I think that's a pretty safe bet.
Technically, I live close to a sign that says "Half way to the North Pole". Realistically, it might as well be the North Pole. It is a 9.5 hour drive to Portland Maine. I do a lot of work there, so if I can find an installer close to there or Boston, I'll be ecstatic.

Driving across the Canada/US border with my car gift wrapped in blue painters tape... well that is a video I think would go viral. I can just about hear the sound of the rubber glove snapping in the opening scene!
Old 03-15-2018 | 05:48 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StormRune
How do we know those were not there before they applied the blue tape?
I bet the blue tape guys could make a nice counter video. haha

For a one way trip to ppf installer I would still go with blue tape.
Old 03-15-2018 | 06:20 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Originally Posted by wareaglescott

For a one way trip to ppf installer I would still go with blue tape.
I never thought of painter's tape... and I'll probably try it. But in all honesty, I am hesitant about coming across the border with a 911 all taped up. It is always serious business crossing for work, let alone drawing attention to yourself. This could be interesting. I might be posting a request for legal help after this one. I'll definitely post pictures!
Old 03-15-2018 | 06:34 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Just a suggestion, put blue painters tape on first then a layer of duct tape, yeah it looks ugly but it 4-6 mils thick and will offer much better protection than the only the blue tape. The layering allows the use of the thicker duct tape and the ease of removal due to the blue painters tape. There is also an option of Xpel Trac tape? I have to deal with this again in a couple days as my wife's new M4 arrives at the dealer.
Old 03-15-2018 | 06:37 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Protective film is OK for the paint. I have it The tires do pick up lots of tiny pebbles and gravel. Your avatar shows your car parked on a shoulder which looks like gravel. Plus, the Pzeros will be as hard as rocks in cold weather so can't be thier stickiness. They are terrible tires.
I am more bothered by the sound of the tiny stones bouncing off the wheel wells. It seems they have no protection.

Best to park your freshly-detailed 911 in the garage and take pictures of it. Too fragile to drive on anything except perfectly smooth asphalt.
Old 03-15-2018 | 07:58 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

If you are constantly driving on gravel roads, rock chips will be the least of your problems. Suggest you obtain a solution to protect the water cooling fan slats in front of the front wheels.
Old 03-15-2018 | 08:05 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
The first hundred yards of driving my new Porsche were consumed with wondering what the heck was happening to my car as I listened to the stones hitting the wheel wells from the tires. It was most unnerving and distracting. I stopped just outside the dealership and noticed the new Pirelli's were now full of tiny stones. They weren't just in the grooves, but also embedded in the compound. Yes, I was warned about this happening, but I didn't understand how bad it could be. I am not normally that precious, so I didn't think the sand blasting was going to bother me. Well, it does. A lot. These tires pick up everything.

I took the front tire off and found some souvenirs! Stones everywhere. Little tiny ones neatly packed on top of every surface... clinging on for dear life! I guess the big ones just fling themselves at the sides of the car. I have some pretty deep scars now; on my paint and my heart. I'm now hunting for mud flaps. Inconspicuous ones...

I also feel like shrink wrapping the car in plastic wrap and driving South to Maine/Massachusetts to get PPF when the Nor'easters end. Is their a temporary film I could DIY to get me through a long road trip to an installer?
Here is a picture of the front suspension. Just one of many locations where stow-away rocks are waiting to fly out:

My 997.2 just turned 50K miles and I don't have all these debris on the tires, nor on any under panels. In your case, it looks like you just drove through Dakkar off-road series.
Old 03-15-2018 | 08:27 PM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

I too got off to a rocky start with my 17 C2S, just from the occasional gravel roads around town.

I you really want to see what a rock-magnet these cars are, try unscrewing the fender liners and see what they're holding. They're like stone-chip maracas. I posted about this last year if you're curious: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9926...der-pants.html
Old 03-15-2018 | 10:24 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Originally Posted by henryting
My 997.2 just turned 50K miles and I don't have all these debris on the tires, nor on any under panels. In your case, it looks like you just drove through Dakkar off-road series.
That is what I am talking about! I haven't been on any gravel roads... this debris in my wheel wells are the tiniest of road stones from asphalt, not gravel.

The picture (back a couple of posts) showing the tire with micro-pebbles embedded in the compound is what I and everyone else here with Pirelli/Michelin-like soft compound tires are picking up. The accumulation on the suspension is a bit shocking; but not unreasonable considering what I hear. I hope it is ok. We don't have an option. I just had to check it out and take a look for myself.

However, now I am wondering if these stones will get into the calipers? Could that happen?
Old 03-16-2018 | 04:23 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

I never thought of painter's tape... and I'll probably try it. But in all honesty, I am hesitant about coming across the border with a 911 all taped up. It is always serious business crossing for work, let alone drawing attention to yourself. This could be interesting. I might be posting a request for legal help after this one. I'll definitely post pictures!
Drove this guy across the border on the way to a bachelor's party in Vancouver. It was pretty funny. Once the Canadian customs guys realized we were Navy and this was a squadron car, we all had a blast with it. US customs on the way back, however, were just as stoic as they could be.

Old 03-16-2018 | 11:08 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

...However, now I am wondering if these stones will get into the calipers? Could that happen?
I've only heard of this being a problem on PCCBs when stones get between the outside of the caliper and the barrel of the wheel, or occasionally in general when it gets caught between the rotor and the thin metal splash shield and makes a terrible noise until it dislodges or you back up.

Since it looks like you might have to deal with pebbles a lot, there is one other place that pebbles are known to cause a problem and the symptom it isn't initially intuitive. If you ever hear one of the two cooling fans in the front start running full blast even at idle you probably have a pebble jamming the other fan. You can hear the roar and feel the air blasting out of one wheel well and then you'll find no air coming out of the other one. There are posts about it on the 997 and 991 forums.

It has happened to me twice in about 7 years on both a 997 and already on my new 991.2 just last week (Texas uses macadam on some streets, gravel pressed into tar and it doesn't all stay stuck, gah!). The dealers are familiar with this and can normally diagnosis this and fix it. Both times for me the dealer covered it under warranty. Some people have taken care of it themselves, but I gather it won't stop the fans from running oddly until the code gets cleared.

How does this happen? The cooling intakes in the front has exhaust outlets built into the front of the front wheel well. Rocks can be carried around by the tire and tossed forward and down into that. On rare occasions one of those pebbles can jam the fan blade for the intakes. There isn't a lot of room between the blade and its housing. Once the fan controller detects a jammed fan, it turns the other one to full blast to compensate for the potential loss of cooling (so I'm told).

Hopefully you won't get this, but I wanted you to be aware of the symptom if/when you see it.
Old 03-16-2018 | 12:05 PM
991.two
Racer

There must be something wrong with the fender arch design on the 991's. With only 500 miles and only 2 short road trips around Central Oregon High Desert I needed a re-paint on the bottom half of the car. Chips went through the PPF.

Old 03-16-2018 | 01:13 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

wow! that looks like it was sandblasted.
Old 03-16-2018 | 02:52 PM
991.two
Racer

I like to drive and really do not want a garage queen for the winter. After talking to a few PCA members here in Bend, OR I found out that the sand ODOT puts on the roads here is from ground down lava stones. So yes it's like sandpaper. I think that if the front fenders had a little more of a fender flare, bigger lip, maybe that would help catch most of the stones. Mud Flaps?? I hope not.
Old 03-16-2018 | 03:07 PM
chuck911
Race Car

I'm shocked, shocked to hear there are rock chips going on here.
Round up the usual suspects!
Icebreaker, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

Quick Reply: Thou shall not throw stones!