Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thou shall not throw stones!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018 | 02:13 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Default Thou shall not throw stones!

The first hundred yards of driving my new Porsche were consumed with wondering what the heck was happening to my car as I listened to the stones hitting the wheel wells from the tires. It was most unnerving and distracting. I stopped just outside the dealership and noticed the new Pirelli's were now full of tiny stones. They weren't just in the grooves, but also embedded in the compound. Yes, I was warned about this happening, but I didn't understand how bad it could be. I am not normally that precious, so I didn't think the sand blasting was going to bother me. Well, it does. A lot. These tires pick up everything.

I took the front tire off and found some souvenirs! Stones everywhere. Little tiny ones neatly packed on top of every surface... clinging on for dear life! I guess the big ones just fling themselves at the sides of the car. I have some pretty deep scars now; on my paint and my heart. I'm now hunting for mud flaps. Inconspicuous ones...

I also feel like shrink wrapping the car in plastic wrap and driving South to Maine/Massachusetts to get PPF when the Nor'easters end. Is their a temporary film I could DIY to get me through a long road trip to an installer?
Here is a picture of the front suspension. Just one of many locations where stow-away rocks are waiting to fly out:

Old 03-15-2018 | 02:19 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Xpel TracWrap is DIY: http://www.xpel.com/xpel-tracwrap-temporary-ppf/
Old 03-15-2018 | 02:21 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Yes, these cars will eat themselves with rock chips. If it bothers you, PPF is your best bet, and I would do it soon!
Old 03-15-2018 | 02:25 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Completely feel your pain, and just could not believe this trait. Two things going on:
1. The rubber compound is very sticky. Pickup lots of stuff.
2. Wheels wells are a hard plastic like material and the pebbles make a racket. Other cars have a softer coating on the inner wheel wells to quiet things down.

Not sure this is much you can do, but slow down to lessen the damage any pebble might do.

The Road Sticks to my 911
Old 03-15-2018 | 02:35 PM
go.illini
Pro

You should see what it looks like under there after landing in a gravel trap at Road America!
Old 03-15-2018 | 02:51 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Originally Posted by StormRune
Perfect! Thank you. I will get this and try and get recommendations for a PPF installer that wraps edges close to Maine. Cheers!
Old 03-15-2018 | 02:55 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by go.illini
You should see what it looks like under there after landing in a gravel trap at Road America!
I think I need to see a picture!

LOL
Old 03-15-2018 | 03:06 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Never seeing anything like that. Is this a Northeaster thing...? Our roads in SoCal are all asphalt without those little rocks. Our problem here is that though we are the sixth/seventh largest economy and we are heavily taxed we have terrible infrastructure with horrible roads, pot holes everywhere and always in fear of damaging our tires/rims.

Abe
Old 03-15-2018 | 04:07 PM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

You must live where it snows and that's what's left after the snowplows/sanders have made numerous passes on your roads. That's how it is where I live, in the spring the gutters are full of it too. Typically the neighborhood streets are worse than the highways and freeways because of traffic and its speed. As winter ends and other drivers and rain wash the roads clean you'll have a lot less of that. Until around June when little if any remains. Last year we had a lot of snow here and tiny pebbles were the worst. This year, so far, there's been a lot less snow and the pebble count is down. I had my C4S out Sunday and Monday of this week for the first time since last November and had the pebble soundtrack again. I've had PPF installed on the lower kick panels and the back of the rear wheel lips and bottom of the rear bumper to help protect against it.
Good luck with your new 911.
Old 03-15-2018 | 04:13 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

The first pic looks like the trap rock they lay down when a street is seal coated. Hate the stuff.
Old 03-15-2018 | 04:14 PM
computertom
Rennlist Member

That is pretty much or for the course here. It’s less of an issue with winter tires though as they are nice and hard compared to the 220 tread wear summers.
Old 03-15-2018 | 04:27 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
Perfect! Thank you. I will get this and try and get recommendations for a PPF installer that wraps edges close to Maine. Cheers!
If you are seriously only driving it to a PPF installer don't waste your money on this. Just get a roll of blue painters tape and go to town. Will do fine for one road trip.
Old 03-15-2018 | 04:30 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
You must live where it snows....
Since he said he's going to go SOUTH to Maine or Massachusetts, I think that's a pretty safe bet.
Old 03-15-2018 | 04:31 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
If you are seriously only driving it to a PPF installer don't waste your money on this. Just get a roll of blue painters tape and go to town. Will do fine for one road trip.
They made a video for you
Old 03-15-2018 | 05:01 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Last edited by spiderv6; 03-16-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Thou shall not throw stones!