Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track precision app

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019 | 07:58 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randy M
This is why I didn't order my T w/ the 'chrono' pkg. It has the 'sport' built into thew car as standard, and I don't have to look at the wart on the dash.
+1. Its hit or miss and I never checked the clock in either of my macans. When I ordered the T in 2018 you only got the clock and track app for $320. However, in 2019 it says you get the active driveline mounts in addition to the wart/app. Alex c confirmed static mounts for 2018 models even with the package ticked. Not sure if the configurator has a typo for 2019 still or if 2019s have “better” hardware.
Old 06-25-2019 | 04:40 PM
Billt134
Rennlist Member

I used the new version for the first time at Watkins Glen a week ago , had track loaded and start button ready , but it never picked up start finish line to record the session.
So Harry's it was for the day after 2 tries with Porsche Track Precision app failed to start.
Old 06-25-2019 | 05:25 PM
jnkirk1974
Rennlist Member

I used the app at Circuit of the Americas in my 991.2 C4 GTS and it seemed to work great for me. Kept all of my lap times, top speed, etc.
Old 09-02-2019 | 11:01 AM
ABusLux
Instructor

I tested the new version at the Circuit of Catalunya in Barcelona. After unsuccessfully trying to make it work in the morning (the app would simply quit upon most any tap on the screen), and after removing and reinstalling the app three times, it finally worked.

So it worked relatively throughout all afternoon sessions, but there are still a few issues to report:
  • While driving the app would change display modes by itself. I understand the difference between the first lap (record first lap time) and the others, but after that first lap, why change display from time to time? Very confusing.
  • while driving the app would freeze while showing strange times (i.e. I could be -0.3 seconds vs my best lap, then suddenly show -12 seconds, freeze at that value for 10-15 seconds, then show an equally strange time with the opposite sign, then go back to normal.
  • A few laps have some gaps in telemetry (steering angle, throttle input and braking pressure will go blank, but strangely g forces continue to show.
  • Exporting video is hit and miss, with far more missing than hitting, and I only manage to export lap by lap; the app stops the export or simply quits when trying to export one full session or two or more laps, consecutive or not. Related to telemetry glitches in the previous bullet points? Who knows.
  • Some video output has two different speed values, one on top of the other (not side by side but like two layers), both in the app and on the exported footage).
  • A few laps have no sound —strangely, the previous and subsequent laps have sound, and the triggering point for sound/no sound seems to be passing through the finish line.
  • Porsche has missed a good opportunity to select a small or big size for the overlay when exporting video —the overlay is fine for the small screen of an smartphone, but it’s huge and ugly when watching the video output on a computer, let alone a 65” screen.
  • one of the laps shows a black screen, even though the lap has a thumbnail.
  • upon installation the app asks if I want to use heart rate info from my Apple Watch, but this doesn’t seem to be stored anywhere —and if it is, I didn’t figure out how to show it in the analysis of my laps.

So, overall, it seems to be nicer-looking than the previous version, but has less options to define individual settings and is less stable than the (not totally stable) previous version.

This app clearly is still work in progress.
Old 09-02-2019 | 06:40 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Instructions in this thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9197...precision.html
Old 09-03-2019 | 01:29 AM
ABusLux
Instructor

Those are the instructions for the previous version, which worked much better than the current one.

Again, still WIP. I hope they release a new version with some fixes before my next track day in October.
Old 09-03-2019 | 10:23 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

I haven’t tried the latest version, but after playing with this app on the previous version, I came away quite unimpressed. Having the steering telemetry is nice, but that and brake/throttle aren’t in sync with the video at all. Additionally, video did t start for one of my sessions, though it did collect all the data. The final nail for me is the total instability when exporting video.

I’ve been using Harry’s with mostly positive results with an external GPS and Kiwi OBD dongle. The kiwi seems to lag quite a bit for its telemetry, and I haven’t had good luck with using a GoPro for 2nd view in addition to phone camera. but for all that, basic functionality just works.

Every time I see a new version of the Track Precision App released, I get hopeful, but it actually seems to be getting worse. At least Porsche makes good cars!
Old 09-03-2019 | 09:31 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

I just went back in the App - I tried to use it for an AX day a few weeks back and while it sorta recorded my laps, it also crashed every time I tried to review anything. Today however there is lots of interesting data in it but some of it is clearly off. See my first screenshot, which is actually two separate screens on my phone. The first one accurately shows that my max speed was 66mph while the second one shows a max speed of 106mph. Note the time logged on the app - it is the same lap...no way in hell I was driving anywhere near that in a stadium parking lot that is falling to pieces.

Also, I just went back in again and the app is no longer cooperating..must have looked at it cross-eyed or something.

Still, hopefully they can work out the bugs as this could be fun and could certainly teach me something as I am a total noob at AX and soon track.

Old 09-06-2019 | 07:24 PM
*991*
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
Does the phone app get to the point where you see these screens with all of the status indicators showing "OK", or is it stopping you before that? The second screen is the one that comes up when you tap the upper right Car button, which when connected and working switches from the red "!" to the one you see here.

I'm afraid this is about as far as I got, but it did seem to respond like I'd expect when I pressed "Record New Track".... but I haven't gone past that yet since I wasn't ready to record anything.

If you can't get this far, then I assume it isn't enabled on your car for some reason and the dealer would need to use their PIWI's to enable it.

If you are already this far, then I guess I'm of no more use at this point.

Did this screen just come up on your car or how did u access it?
From my Iphone it says I am connected to the car and says to choose a track but I cant seem to get the screen to come up on pcm in car. I have a 19 GTS with SC
Old 09-07-2019 | 03:17 AM
ABusLux
Instructor

Originally Posted by *991*
Did this screen just come up on your car or how did u access it?
From my Iphone it says I am connected to the car and says to choose a track but I cant seem to get the screen to come up on pcm in car. I have a 19 GTS with SC
Those are screenshots of the previous version of the iphone app, not the PCM.
Old 09-07-2019 | 01:59 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

It's not perfect but when it works it's cool. I got mine to work my second time out and came away with this:

The following 2 users liked this post by spyderbret:
ABusLux (10-06-2019), fester (01-15-2020)
Old 09-08-2019 | 12:53 AM
*991*
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spyderbret
It's not perfect but when it works it's cool. I got mine to work my second time out and came away with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7aBFnXOkyg
So this is taped on your phone with the Porsche app?
Im going to lime rock on 10/7 for my first trip with my GTS and I would like to try it?
Old 09-09-2019 | 03:32 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spyderbret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7aBFnXOkyg
Can you tell me what phone mount you are using? Can't trust Amazon reviews and I'd like one that doesn't shake.
Old 09-09-2019 | 03:43 AM
good2go
Pro

Originally Posted by StormRune
I haven't used it, but I did go and set it up just a couple of days ago. Did you enable the car's Wifi hotspot and select it on your phone? It will have a name beginning with PORSCHE_xxxx and a crazy complicated Wifi password until you set it to something more memorable. I can point you to the right things in a foloow-up unless you have already done all this.

Once the Wifi is setup, the app should be able to connect to the car.

Edit: It is also part of the 991.2 Sport Package (code P3P) available on non-GT cars.
I can see the WiFi and password. But it won’t connect. Any trick in getting connected to WiFi?
Old 09-09-2019 | 11:04 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Never had it fail only problem has been on export with video to circuit tools due to circuit tools track database being out of date.

I find it better to add start and sectors manually and it works fine.

Quick Reply: Track precision app