Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 03:44 PM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How to: Setting up Porsche Track Precision

Hi all,

I made a short video about how to set up the Track Precision app:

I'll follow-up with one about what to do one you've got some laps records, including how to get video and data out of the app.

Thanks
The following 3 users liked this post by FergusH:
arobincaron (05-20-2020), burnergt4 (05-19-2020), DR.S (03-29-2020)
Old 02-21-2016, 03:50 PM
iyee318
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for doing this. Very helpful.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:32 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Finally. First thing I see that makes me maybe consider upgrading the car.
Thank you very much for creating and posting that!

Still don't see much advantage over the $50 Harry's laptimer app with GPS 160 and a OBD2 blue tooth connector thing.

Maybe in time cool upgrades will come!
Old 02-21-2016, 04:48 PM
Cfroku
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks
Old 02-21-2016, 06:59 PM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for taking the time to put this together. Next month will be my first attempt to use this on track but it does show some promise, but also seems to still need some bugs addressed.

Since I intend to try at VIR it has been curious to me which configuration is built in to the app since I have not yet found a way to review tracks that are not included in the default screen but listed in Porsche's track list document.

Questions: Since the default listed tracks are not comprehensive of what is listed in the Porsche Track List document, have you or has anyone else confirmed they are automatically detected as "near" by GPS? Since Thunderhill is listed, was it the specific configuration that required your manually mapping or was it not detected/included as listed in the track list document?
Old 02-21-2016, 09:13 PM
katmeho
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Still don't see much advantage over the $50 Harry's laptimer app with GPS 160 and a OBD2 blue tooth connector thing.
OBD2 will not expose any data other than RPM, fuel level and throttle position. The track app has everything that's needed like brake pressure, steering input etc.

Not saying that it's better than HLT plus good GPS (because in its current form many are saying it's just garbage) but there is no aftermarket plug and play offering today that gives you the data you really need to do comparative analysis for driving improvement.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:31 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,765 Likes on 4,768 Posts

Originally Posted by katmeho
OBD2 will not expose any data other than RPM, fuel level and throttle position. The track app has everything that's needed like brake pressure, steering input etc.

Not saying that it's better than HLT plus good GPS (because in its current form many are saying it's just garbage) but there is no aftermarket plug and play offering today that gives you the data you really need to do comparative analysis for driving improvement.
This.

I have yet to see an aftermarket equivalent of the Track App.

For data geeks, there are very few, if any, non-OEM equivalents.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:34 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I would like to see a video, showing how to merge or overlay video with data on your phone.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:41 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks so much for doing this ....
Now, I actually may be able to use this thing
regards
Ed
Old 02-22-2016, 12:53 AM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I would like to see a video, showing how to merge or overlay video with data on your phone.
That's next on my to-do list
Old 02-22-2016, 01:07 AM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Whoops; double post. Deleted.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:15 AM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Errsomeone
Thank you for taking the time to put this together. Next month will be my first attempt to use this on track but it does show some promise, but also seems to still need some bugs addressed.

Since I intend to try at VIR it has been curious to me which configuration is built in to the app since I have not yet found a way to review tracks that are not included in the default screen but listed in Porsche's track list document.

Questions: Since the default listed tracks are not comprehensive of what is listed in the Porsche Track List document, have you or has anyone else confirmed they are automatically detected as "near" by GPS? Since Thunderhill is listed, was it the specific configuration that required your manually mapping or was it not detected/included as listed in the track list document?
I made a new video that discusses this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9198...precision.html

As I mention in the video, Track Precision has three categories of track:
1. Tracks it doesn't know about at all
2. Tracks it knows the general location of
3. Tracks it has detailed information about

You can get to a list of all the tracks in categories 2 and 3 here:
http://www.porsche.com/track-precision-app (choose your location then click the Track list link)

VIR is in the track list but not highlighted in grey. This means that it's in the second category and won't show up directly in the app. You'll need to define a custom track - at minimum, the start/finish line - but once you've done so, you'll get real time lap time information on your phone when driving. Other than having to do a bit more work, it's as good as having a track listed directly in the app.

A track in the first category is one that you've created that Porsche doesn't even know is a track. You can still record data and video when driving, but you won't get any real time information on the phone's screen. Instead, you'll see a message saying you're not at a known track.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:21 AM
FergusH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This.

I have yet to see an aftermarket equivalent of the Track App.

For data geeks, there are very few, if any, non-OEM equivalents.
In general, I agree. Track Precision does some things that other solutions either don't do well or don't do at all. Also, I've used Harry's Laptimer but between the phone, an external GPS and a GoPro, it gets fairly complicated and the last thing you need to be thinking about on the track is electronics.

However, what Track Precision doesn't do is side-by-side video comparison of laps. I'm a beginner but I think being able to compare video of two laps - with overlaid data - would be incredibly helpful.

I'm going to keep using Track Precision for now but I'll probably get a Vbox HD2 once they are released. If I could get good quality video, compare it side-by-side and see data like speed, throttle and brake, I'd be happy.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:48 AM
Errsomeone
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FergusH
I made a new video that discusses this:
Thank you very much for your continued attention to create these guides.

Your next video will be interesting as I have imported a test into Circuit Tools to try. Since my previous experience was with Motec and Stack it is great to see how available telemetry systems have become in the years I was away. There still remains promise for this app. With some luck, P will continue to update and owners like yourself will kindly offer assistance.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:57 PM
yojimbo007
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 28 Posts

Thank you!!

Cheers

Quick Reply: How to: Setting up Porsche Track Precision