Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2024, 11:14 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxtreme
Is yours a PCM 3.1? Mine doesn't have those double Fakra connectors. The GPS should be the blue one if it's the same as PCM 3.1
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1142...l#post18749993
Old 08-28-2024, 11:57 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

This is good info for the PCM 4 folks. I have only been seeing PCM 3.1 references here.

So you'll need an SMA to dual Fakra Z male plugs for your antenna. I think the blue is still your GPS

Last edited by bmxtreme; 08-29-2024 at 01:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2024, 11:59 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by Rulez
Just an update on my 8581b unit; it does have lantern settings in the General menu. You have to swipe up to access additional menu options and it was not at all obvious that was available. I also found some other menu options I thought were missing. Feeling much better about my purchase now 😁
Yeah, apart from the 8581 being newer (older?) than the 7862 and slightly slower, the software support should be very similar to the 7862. If you look at the XDA threads, they always mentioned 7862+8581 together.

Last edited by bmxtreme; 08-29-2024 at 12:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Rulez (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 12:31 AM
stapleton87
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, thank you to everyone who has put so much time and effort into documenting these units and various fixes to get them running in our cars! I'm new here and I was able to get my Chstek 7862 working with relative ease by following the information here. I do have a strange issue that I don't think has been seen before. I've got a 2014 Boxster S originally with PCM and BOSE. When I first installed the unit I had a wiring issue that kept the canbus decoder from working properly. Not realizing it was a wiring issue I tried updating the canbus and other factory apps from the unit's built in app store. Now that I fixed my wiring and got the canbus working I have the dreaded bright dash issue and that's where the problem seems to lie. I tried applying the fix for that issue and when I do the head unit's screen blanks out and slowly cycles on and off endlessly. I've left it in this state for 15 minutes several times hoping that the canbus update is still happening but no luck, even after pulling the fuse to perform a hard reset. After rebooting the unit everything still functions fine, but of course the bright dash issue isn't resolved since the update seems to not even try to take effect. I grabbed the older versions of the default apps from the repository and tried to load them but I get an error saying the app couldn't be installed, I assume this is because the canbus app is always running even after force quitting it. Has anyone ran into this? I'm considering doing a factory reset and not updating the apps to see if that will allow the bright dash fix to work.
Old 08-29-2024, 01:13 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by stapleton87
First off, thank you to everyone who has put so much time and effort into documenting these units and various fixes to get them running in our cars! I'm new here and I was able to get my Chstek 7862 working with relative ease by following the information here. I do have a strange issue that I don't think has been seen before. I've got a 2014 Boxster S originally with PCM and BOSE. When I first installed the unit I had a wiring issue that kept the canbus decoder from working properly. Not realizing it was a wiring issue I tried updating the canbus and other factory apps from the unit's built in app store. Now that I fixed my wiring and got the canbus working I have the dreaded bright dash issue and that's where the problem seems to lie. I tried applying the fix for that issue and when I do the head unit's screen blanks out and slowly cycles on and off endlessly. I've left it in this state for 15 minutes several times hoping that the canbus update is still happening but no luck, even after pulling the fuse to perform a hard reset. After rebooting the unit everything still functions fine, but of course the bright dash issue isn't resolved since the update seems to not even try to take effect. I grabbed the older versions of the default apps from the repository and tried to load them but I get an error saying the app couldn't be installed, I assume this is because the canbus app is always running even after force quitting it. Has anyone ran into this? I'm considering doing a factory reset and not updating the apps to see if that will allow the bright dash fix to work.
​​​what errors are you getting when trying to install those APKs? It may be worth reflashing it to start over.
Old 08-29-2024, 01:23 AM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by StanfordBear
The 7862 supports both front and rear cams. If you have trouble setting them up, just ask here. All the great guys on this thread will help you out like they did for me
I suppose you finally got your camera working? What was the problem?
Old 08-29-2024, 03:14 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by stapleton87
This is the first time I have heard of the fix not working. That said, the fix was supplied by Erisin for a different unit so there may come a point where it loses compatibility with the Chstek software.

I applied the fix to mine a few months before the updates were available in the Chstek store, so it was applied to the software that shipped with the unit.

I also did not have the bright lights return after updating the software, but I know someone else did and they reapplied the patch and it worked. So in theory it should work on any version of the Chstek system software.

You could try a factory reset before considering reflashing the unit. And I'd recommend pulling the fuse after a reset and before applying the patch.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Old 08-29-2024, 12:47 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 39 Posts

wtf dude, just return it. Didn't you have 90 days?
I dont disagree. But alot of the time i have to pay for shipping back and thats costly to china. Ill look into it but id rather give someone on here a good deal than loose money sending it back and waiting for the return process.
Old 08-29-2024, 01:00 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Originally Posted by RwdConnor
I dont disagree. But alot of the time i have to pay for shipping back and thats costly to china. Ill look into it but id rather give someone on here a good deal than loose money sending it back and waiting for the return process.
Oh, that sucks. I have returned stuff from AE and it has been free so far except for in the past where I didn't know how to weed out dodgy sellers. It clearly states that it's "Free Returns". When I submit a return request, they generate a prepaid label. But anyway, so as long it works out, let's look forward to your new install 😀
Old 08-29-2024, 01:07 PM
RwdConnor
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 39 Posts

Oh, that sucks. I have returned stuff from AE and it has been free so far except for in the past where I didn't know how to weed out dodgy sellers. It clearly states that it's "Free Returns". When I submit a return request, they generate a prepaid label. But anyway, so as long it works out, let's look forward to your new install 😀
I just started the return. Lets see how it goes. I wonder if its Ali that processes it or CHSTEK haha. I already paid for the new unit so maybe they wont care. Im not going to wait on their "developers" to fix my "issue"

Last edited by RwdConnor; 08-30-2024 at 11:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bmxtreme (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 01:25 PM
stapleton87
5th Gear

​​​what errors are you getting when trying to install those APKs? It may be worth reflashing it to start over.
When I tried to sideload the older APKs from the repository I get an error saying "App not installed" which is a little strange.

Originally Posted by andy2111
This is the first time I have heard of the fix not working. That said, the fix was supplied by Erisin for a different unit so there may come a point where it loses compatibility with the Chstek software.

I applied the fix to mine a few months before the updates were available in the Chstek store, so it was applied to the software that shipped with the unit.

I also did not have the bright lights return after updating the software, but I know someone else did and they reapplied the patch and it worked. So in theory it should work on any version of the Chstek system software.

You could try a factory reset before considering reflashing the unit. And I'd recommend pulling the fuse after a reset and before applying the patch.

Good luck and keep us updated!
I just tried a factory reset followed by a fuse pull and still no luck on the patch. I think the next step will be a reflash because the reset didn't seem to fully remove everything on the unit though it did revert the factory apps to their original versions. Since I haven't seen it apply successfully, what is the bright dash fix supposed to look like? On my unit after I select the .bin file and hit start I hear the sound of the amp cutting off (I assume that's what it is, it's the same low bump I hear if I mute the audio) and then the screen goes blank along with the backlight on the buttons. Then the buttons will light up and the screen will come on for a few seconds every so often so I can see the canbus update screen but it never does anything and the progress meter stays 0/100. And it'll continue like that with the screen cycling on and off for as long as I leave it until I either pull the fuse or quickly restart the unit during a moment the screen is on.

Edit to add: I did reach out to the seller (CHSTEK Car Radio Store on Aliexpress) and they stated that the bright screen issue will be resolved in a future update on the app store. If that does happen it will be awesome because everything else is working perfectly!

Last edited by stapleton87; 08-29-2024 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 01:41 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

When the fix works you can see the update progressing and it either automatically reboots the head unit or it asks you to press a button to restart. Sometimes after the restart you need to pull the fuse to ensure a full cold restart.

Just checking that you definitely do suffer from the bright lights problem... just in case you are only applying the fix as it is recommended in the guide?

Last edited by andy2111; 08-29-2024 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-29-2024, 01:54 PM
stapleton87
5th Gear

That helps confirm things, clearly mine is doing something very different lol. And yeah, unfortunately I do have the bright dash display as well as climate panel when the headlights are on. I originally thought my launcher or some other app might be interfering with the update process but I think I've ruled most of that out after doing a factory reset. I just bought the unit, I wonder if I have a slightly different firmware version than previously purchased units. Here's the about page of my unit if anyone else wants to compare

Old 08-29-2024, 02:59 PM
bmxtreme
Racer

Those with CHSTEK, how long does it take for your rear camera view to popup when you switch to reverse?
Old 08-29-2024, 03:02 PM
stapleton87
5th Gear

Those with CHSTEK, how long does it take for your rear camera view to popup when you switch to reverse?
I've got an aftermarket camera and my unit sleeps when the key is off so I get a rear view within 1-2 seconds even when I just started my car. If your unit has to boot up instead of waking from sleep that wait may be more like 15-20 seconds.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1