Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 01:12 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 194 Posts

^^^^

It would be useful if other members could advise their canbus version so we can see if all Porsche model variants use the same one as mine: Porsche17-All_0x115_00. Thanks,
Old 01-20-2024, 01:45 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

So I've just come in from the garage where I have been trying out the CAN options as Zed describes:
  • I have the same canbus version as in the pic above
  • FWIW I am on Android 13
  • I also tried the "360" variant that was in the list without success
  • I found Porsche listed under another of the top level options - it began with a Q and offered something for the Cayenne I think, so I didn't try it
  • I didn't try the Illumi wire - will see if Chuck has any success, or try that tomorrow
I pulled the quadlock connector out with the ignition on and the bright displays instantly dimmed to their expected level

One minor victory today - I connected the factory DAB antenna to the adapter in my earlier post and connected it to the Erisin USB DAB radio and it works a treat

I also have discovered I have the relay clicking issue that is described in the Planet9 thread - exact same sypmtoms and stops as soon as the key is removed. Not a deal breaker by any means, I can live with it if we can find a fix to the display issue

Old 01-20-2024, 02:02 PM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

I am attempting to get support from the Seller (my unit is ZHOHONG brand) - I am contacting them through Aliexpress so let's see what happens, you never know...
The following users liked this post:
ZedZed (01-20-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 02:27 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andy2111
So I've just come in from the garage where I have been trying out the CAN options as Zed describes:I pulled the quadlock connector out with the ignition on and the bright displays instantly dimmed to their expected level

One minor victory today - I connected the factory DAB antenna to the adapter in my earlier post and connected it to the Erisin USB DAB radio and it works a treat
Good info - thanks Chuck. Useful info too re the bright displays instantly dimming when the quad connector is removed. Shows us definitely where the problem lies!

I wonder if the illumi wire trick might work after all? Something in the HU is actively preventing the dimming from working it seems. Maybe what is preventing it is the lack of 12v on that wire? Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part?

Last edited by ZedZed; 01-20-2024 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2024, 03:00 PM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I am attempting to get support from the Seller (my unit is ZHOHONG brand) - I am contacting them through Aliexpress so let's see what happens, you never know...
I think that between us, we have exhausted pretty much every menu option which might yield a solution. It's starting to look as though we may need a firmware update. I hope your seller is responsive. I'd ask my seller, but from previous experience, they will be willing but not a lot of use.
Old 01-20-2024, 04:26 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

More to follow but a quick update for those watching for smoke over PV, you can stop: connecting the illum wire to + didn't blow-up my car. And didn't solve our problem: it just controls the HU buttons lighting in a basic on/off. No dimming either in the HU or the AC, etc... panels. So, was worth the try but this path is also ending.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:48 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Same canbus version despite the update that I downloaded when I installed the HU a few weeks ago. I forgot to note the name of the upload at that time so it may have been an update for another canbus type than the default one for our cars.

Top level: Porsche17-All_0x115_00
Canbus Type: 0x115_Porsche17_lzkj

Also, the version of the HU software is: A007_C56_HA22_U701-13-EN-D_2023-11-23-1201

Last edited by Chuck245; 01-20-2024 at 07:57 PM.
ZedZed (01-21-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 07:50 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

Re: Good info - thanks Chuck. Useful info too re the bright displays instantly dimming when the quad connector is removed. Shows us definitely where the problem lies!

=>> Credit goes to Andy not me ​​​​​​​ And this is a very good finding.
Old 01-20-2024, 08:05 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

RE: I wonder if the illumi wire trick might work after all? Something in the HU is actively preventing the dimming from working it seems. Maybe what is preventing it is the lack of 12v on that wire? Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part?

=>>
While I had the illumin wire connected, I tried all the brightness controls I could find on the HU and none changed the brightness of the displays. Note that there are so many different settings in this unit and the naming is not always telling so I may have missed the right one.

Last edited by Chuck245; 01-20-2024 at 08:06 PM.
ZedZed (01-21-2024)
Old 01-20-2024, 08:20 PM
Chuck245
Rennlist Member

@andy2111
RE: I am attempting to get support from the Seller (my unit is ZHOHONG brand) - I am contacting them through Aliexpress so let's see what happens, you never know...

=>> My seller didn't answer my questions or with cryptic answers that I couldn't make sense of. Did you also send the description of the issue directly to Erisin? From Planet9, their email contact is ali@erisin.com. If not, I would suggest that you send Erisin the same request or let me know and I can do it.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:15 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

Just had a reply via Aliexpress to say they'll check with an engineer and reply on Monday- let's see...

I doubt Erisin will speak to me, assuming I'd need to provide an order reference number, because I didn't buy from them and the memory/storge spec of my unit is larger then the ones they sell. Chuck can you try Erisin and I'll try Zohong?

Given we all have different brands, that may mean a fix for one unit is not compatible with another, depending on where in the system the fix is.

That said, we know we all have the same CAN software, so perhaps what we need is a fix from "LuZheng" - I did a quick search and didn't find anything obvious for them, but it's worth another look later

Last edited by andy2111; 01-21-2024 at 06:39 AM.
Chuck245 (01-21-2024)
Old 01-21-2024, 07:33 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chuck245
Re: Good info - thanks Chuck. Useful info too re the bright displays instantly dimming when the quad connector is removed. Shows us definitely where the problem lies!

=>> Credit goes to Andy not me And this is a very good finding.
Ooops - sorry @andy2111 But thanks also to you too, Chuck, for your perseverance with this. ​​​​​​​
Old 01-21-2024, 07:43 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

That said, we know we all have the same CAN software, so perhaps what we need is a fix from "LuZheng" - I did a quick search and didn't find anything obvious for them, but it's worth another look later
Good point. The notion of building the canbus directly into the HU is good in the sense that it helps keep costs down/value higher, but it makes it more difficult to resolve the kind of issue we are discussing. My Panamera unit comes with separate canbus box, so it would be real easy to swap this for an updated one if required.

TBH, my wife isn't on my case about this at all. I stuck that DIM sticker over the high beam indicator light (I know, it's ghetto, but you can't see it *at all* and it works, and both of us had even forgotten I did this) and she hasn't once mentioned the digital speedo, odometer or centre console AC display, so that can't be an issue for her. I haven't dared tell her about the latter in case it then 'becomes' a problem. I must say that I have driven her car at night and have not been aware that the speedo and odo are brighter than I'd expect them to be. The high beam light was a real issue, but the DIM solved that (sort of). But I like things to work properly and I would really like to get to the bottom of this if we can. If not, well, if my wife is happy, I am happy.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:48 AM
andy2111
Rennlist Member

I ordered some of the stickers so I can see how they look - I definitely need them on the digital speedo and odometer as they really are quite bright

When I get a minute I'm also going to create a specific post in an appropriate electronics forum, because there may be people out there who know a lot more about Canbus than we do who might be able to offer some advice - Probably "What do you expect - put your PCM back in the car"!
Old 01-21-2024, 09:11 AM
ZedZed
Burning Brakes

I ordered some of the stickers so I can see how they look - I definitely need them on the digital speedo and odometer as they really are quite bright
I wonder why yours are really bright, and mine are just a bit bright? (Other than the high beam indicator, which is supernova).

When I get a minute I'm also going to create a specific post in an appropriate electronics forum, because there may be people out there who know a lot more about Canbus than we do who might be able to offer some advice -
Excellent idea. I did try to plough through what I thought might be relevant on the XDA Developer Forum (Android devs) but 90% of all the discussions went

Probably "What do you expect - put your PCM back in the car"!
Haha. Yes, shall we have a bet on how long it takes?

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1