Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 02:55 AM
DanishAmerican
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess it’s a matter of taste. I like the integrated look in the existing PCM much better.

Also, NM Automotive’s unit is very well integrated with the physical buttons of the PCM. Much easier to use while driving compared to using the touch screen (advance to next song, pick up phone, switch to navigation, etc)
The following users liked this post:
Lee Turner (01-29-2021)
Old 09-08-2018, 10:20 AM
SeymourButts
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Curious as to why you guys don't just go aftermarket and install an aftermarket unit like the Alpine iL-07 which has wireless Carplay by the way. Suncoast now sells what looks like a very nice kit which is plug in play with your OEM Porsche system (both BOSE and non-BOSE) for aftermarket kits which they say is also reversible so say if the car is sold you just replace your PCM back into the car. Seems like this would probably be cheaper and work better and you wouldn't have to worry about upgrading out of the unit at some point by Apple as continued compatibility with an aftermarket unit from Alpine or Kenwood is probably more certain. I realize you loose some OEM-ness by doing this but from what I can see it doesn't look that bad. Opening up the PCM is probably not a great thing as far as Porsche is concerned and likely also giving most installers in you guys areas a moment of pause if not outright terror thus the denials and turn aways. Thoughts folks?
Wireless CarPlay alone would make this worth it for me.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:05 PM
gforcealt
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

By going with an after market stereo, you also lose control of some of the car features only accessible via the PCM, don't you? I can't recall what's all in there that isn't on the dash menu, but aren't there some climate climate settings (I know there are with my BMW)? Those with sports Chrono would lose the data logging capability.
The following users liked this post:
Lee Turner (01-29-2021)
Old 09-09-2018, 02:28 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by SeymourButts

Wireless CarPlay alone would make this worth it for me.
Yes that is avail with the Alpine iLx-07 model. Hear it works pretty well and is so far the only aftermarket one out there with that function. Getting good reviews.

Originally Posted by gforcealt
By going with an after market stereo, you also lose control of some of the car features only accessible via the PCM, don't you? I can't recall what's all in there that isn't on the dash menu, but aren't there some climate climate settings (I know there are with my BMW)? Those with sports Chrono would lose the data logging capability.
I looked around a bit and I don't think so depending on the model as that's a concern too for me. Most of the PCM functions are duplicated in the third small LCD in the dash as far as the trip meter functions go and as for sport chrono and data logging...I've had three Carrera's with SC 997.1, 997.2 x2, and now my 991.2 as well as my 981.1 and have NEVER used it to be honest. Just saying. None of the climate controls go thru the PCM...that is a different set of controls in the 991 at least. So theoretically you wouldn't lose alot outside of the phone and OCM mike and you'd get that via aftermarket but should be able to run most of the same items including backup camera...(I have NAVTEC module anyway). Its a thought if I ever want to clean up my display and upgrade maps and go to Carplay. Depends likely on how long PCM 3.0 gets in the tooth as I keep my car...still a young 2013.5 model!
Old 09-09-2018, 09:27 AM
astolfor
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Yes that is avail with the Alpine iLx-07 model. Hear it works pretty well and is so far the only aftermarket one out there with that function. Getting good reviews.

I looked around a bit and I don't think so depending on the model as that's a concern too for me. Most of the PCM functions are duplicated in the third small LCD in the dash as far as the trip meter functions go and as for sport chrono and data logging...I've had three Carrera's with SC 997.1, 997.2 x2, and now my 991.2 as well as my 981.1 and have NEVER used it to be honest. Just saying. None of the climate controls go thru the PCM...that is a different set of controls in the 991 at least. So theoretically you wouldn't lose alot outside of the phone and OCM mike and you'd get that via aftermarket but should be able to run most of the same items including backup camera...(I have NAVTEC module anyway). Its a thought if I ever want to clean up my display and upgrade maps and go to Carplay. Depends likely on how long PCM 3.0 gets in the tooth as I keep my car...still a young 2013.5 model!
you would lose all the data logging, if you have the chrono, which I use. I wish I could find an installer in the Seattle area

Last edited by astolfor; 09-09-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:19 PM
pnd4pnd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please let me know if someone finds a Bay Area installer for this! - Eric
Old 09-13-2018, 07:41 AM
beach981
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2013CarreraS
I installed the system about 3 weeks ago and overall it's awesome. I found a shop near me (Orlando, FL) who did the whole install. Nick has been awesome and is very proactive with working with the manufacturer on updates to take care some some small annoyances - mostly the volume of CarPlay and Siri needing to be increased.

Another thing that I was just made aware of - backup camera! My car did not have factory backup camera so I had the NavTV system installed about 2 years ago. Nick told me that this system also includes all the functionality for that, so I should be able to remove the NavTV system and plug the camera into the CarPlay controller.

The installers mounted my microphone under the steering column so it is invisible, and it works great when I'm driving around town, but at highway speed the road noise is overpowering and Hey Siri doesn't work very well - I would recommend mounting the mic somewhere other than where mine is (I'll be moving it).
2013CarreraS: I also live in Orlando and have a NavTV backup camera system installed. Can you tell me what shop installed your CarPlay system? I would like to use the same shop for my install. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2018, 12:35 PM
Yuan Li
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I added CarPlay to my panamera PCM3.1 ,it's same with 991.1
Details here https://gpsadapter.us/blogs/news/pcm3-1-add-carplay
Old 09-14-2018, 04:18 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by pnd4pnd
Please let me know if someone finds a Bay Area installer for this! - Eric
I live in the Bay Area and just ordered a kit from direct from the manufacture in China. I am going to try this install myself. It looks pretty straightforward, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:56 AM
wizard263789
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

For info, beware of the majority of the kits direct from China, they generally dont allow you to maintain Sirius XM which depending on which system version of PCM3.1 you have will result in you losing all radio sound functionality, the later pcm versions and the Cayenne/Panamera are more problematic.

Last edited by wizard263789; 09-14-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:31 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Car play install

Originally Posted by Joec500

I live in the Bay Area and just ordered a kit from direct from the manufacture in China. I am going to try this install myself. It looks pretty straightforward, I’ll let you know how it goes.

Pls take pics on you install. I want to do this also. Thanks
Pla take many pics.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:24 PM
kpnphoto
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm considering purchasing the unit from NM Automotive or unichip/alibaba. Has anyone used either of these units since the IOS 12 update?
Old 09-20-2018, 02:57 PM
wizard263789
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, we tested the kit right from the initial beta in June. All is good including the new Google Maps

Cheers
Nick
NM Automotive

Originally Posted by kpnphoto
Hi,
I'm considering purchasing the unit from NM Automotive or unichip/alibaba. Has anyone used either of these units since the IOS 12 update?
Old 09-23-2018, 11:12 PM
DanishAmerican
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kpnphoto
Hi,
Yes, it works great
Old 09-26-2018, 08:41 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,009 Likes on 600 Posts

So I received my Unichip Carplay retrofit and it was relatively easy to install. But it seems to have a ton of bugs. Has anyone else here installed this particular unit? It randomly turns on and off and does funky things like turn on after the car has turned off.

Anyways, I am waiting on the manufacture to see if they might have updates. It's possible I just have a defective unit.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a CarPlay retrofit / Headunit replacement for 991.1