Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any daily driver advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 07:53 AM
Lebo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had this dilemma and tested everything (approximately) over 400 hp+ mercedes , porsche or bmw .
Good candidates for me were ; CLS500 , C63s AMG coupe ( even though suspension too stiff ) , BMW X6 and BMW M550i x drive ... ended up with the M550i
Old 12-28-2017, 09:46 AM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by socalpcarfan

Ferrari FF

you’ll probably end up selling the Porsche lol
That's what I did in the past. But once problems started with the car out of warranty, defects that you don't normally see in Japanese, German, heck even Korean cars, and when visiting the Ferrari workshop you realize that it's not only you with such issues, I had to get rid of it. And now I appreciate Porsche even more.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Via Huerto
Track Day

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gearboxtrouble
I've started looking for a new daily driver to replace my BMW M4. The starting point was something more practical (4 drs), V8 and big FI horsepower - I have a NA 991.1 GTS that I intend to keep for a long time. As much as I've enjoyed my BMWs I feel like I need to change things up a bit and I don't want to own a Panamera on top of my existing 911. I'm now looking closely at the new E63 AMG and the Cadillac CTS-V. I'll have to wait a year or so for depreciation to work its magic with the new E63s but there are plenty of nearly new CTS-Vs around at great values (you'd have to hate the idea of money to buy a car in this class new).

I like the idea of a 640 hp RWD sedan that's 400 lbs lighter than the competition and I think the car looks pretty awesome. I've had a short test drive in one and my driving impressions were very favorable (this was expected). Initial impressions of the interior and tech were also positive (my expectations were low on this front). Does anybody here have anything they can share about the ownership experience? What's reliability like? How does the build quality hold up after a couple of years? These are really my areas of primary concern - Cadillac doesn't do well at the JD Power surveys at all and that's definitely a cause for concern.
I'd go for a CPO 2015 BMW M5 with low mileage. RWD, a little heavy but a beast and a blast to drive. Prices have come way way down. Understand 100% BMW fatigue but the Mercedes look characterless and the gear lever on the stalk is deal breaker for me. Cadillac has terrible interior build quality which would drive me insane. If I was going to choose American I'd go all in on a Chevy SS. No pretense with the Chevy.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:42 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
The new M-B sedans look like interchangeable bars of soap, interiors with the gear stalk feel like lazy boys. The new 5 is also a step back from its predecessor imo. Nothing really exciting coming out in the sedan world to me.

But you alreay have a 911, so who cares. Therefore you have a bunch of good options to choose from. As you said, just avoid new as nothing depreciates like a high performance M-B or BMW.

If you can stand the cheapo interior, I’d say get something more interesting like the Giulia Quadrifoglio.
The only bad thing about the MB's is that they look alike. The good thing is that they look good. The interiors are really nice and they are well put together. Quantum leap above the previous gen.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Via Huerto
I'd go for a CPO 2015 BMW M5 with low mileage. RWD, a little heavy but a beast and a blast to drive. Prices have come way way down. Understand 100% BMW fatigue but the Mercedes look characterless and the gear lever on the stalk is deal breaker for me. Cadillac has terrible interior build quality which would drive me insane. If I was going to choose American I'd go all in on a Chevy SS. No pretense with the Chevy.
F10 M5 is a huge letdown, IMO. Fast.,.and that's about it.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:45 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gearboxtrouble
I've started looking for a new daily driver to replace my BMW M4. The starting point was something more practical (4 drs), V8 and big FI horsepower - I have a NA 991.1 GTS that I intend to keep for a long time. As much as I've enjoyed my BMWs I feel like I need to change things up a bit and I don't want to own a Panamera on top of my existing 911. I'm now looking closely at the new E63 AMG and the Cadillac CTS-V. I'll have to wait a year or so for depreciation to work its magic with the new E63s but there are plenty of nearly new CTS-Vs around at great values (you'd have to hate the idea of money to buy a car in this class new).

I like the idea of a 640 hp RWD sedan that's 400 lbs lighter than the competition and I think the car looks pretty awesome. I've had a short test drive in one and my driving impressions were very favorable (this was expected). Initial impressions of the interior and tech were also positive (my expectations were low on this front). Does anybody here have anything they can share about the ownership experience? What's reliability like? How does the build quality hold up after a couple of years? These are really my areas of primary concern - Cadillac doesn't do well at the JD Power surveys at all and that's definitely a cause for concern.
The Caddy is definitely a cool choice and a serious piece of kit. Lease one and you won't get burned by any issues with it. It's been out a few years so should be sorted by now.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:27 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I've never owned one but can't help but notice... are the Audis of today just not that good? This thread has a lot of mentions of BMW and Mercedes with a few sprinkles of Jaguar and Cadillac but nobody mentions Audi.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:45 PM
Via Huerto
Track Day

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Audis have a FWD bias.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:11 PM
gearboxtrouble
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ace37
I've never owned one but can't help but notice... are the Audis of today just not that good? This thread has a lot of mentions of BMW and Mercedes with a few sprinkles of Jaguar and Cadillac but nobody mentions Audi.
Audis are nice but the only model they sell that fits the bill is the RS7. I'm sure its a rocketship in a straight line (pretty much a Panamera Turbo under the skin) but I've never liked Audis FWD bias. Theres an all new RS7 imminent in europe so this is probably not the right time to buy one anyway.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:15 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
The only bad thing about the MB's is that they look alike. The good thing is that they look good. The interiors are really nice and they are well put together. Quantum leap above the previous gen.
I really don’t like the direction M-B has gone in. Never mind that you can’t keep track with how many are out there and they’re about as ubiquitous as Toyota. Their designs inside and out don’t do it for me (several I find flat out ugly). Inside they are class leaders in the luxury dept, most likely. But the vibe is way too “futuristic old geezer” for my tastes.

They also still have the least sorted chassis’ out there in non-AMG form, imo.

BMW has also dropped the ball (but at least MB is trying). Like they’ve just become corporate drones who have no fun. The new 5 lost the sexiness the F10 had. Looks like a 3 from behind. And I agree the F10 M5 is a huge letdown. Feels like a massive executive car, not an “M.” Engine is powerful but lacks any character, it’s crazy fast but you’re so isolated that it manages to make you always feel like you’re on a ho hum Sunday cruise.

I never loved Audi’s, but lately out of the “big 3” they’ve been getting more of my attention.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:16 PM
gearboxtrouble
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've spent a lot of seat time in the F10 M5 at the BMW M driving school. Its a seriously fast car but the engine is somewhat lacking in character compared to the AMGs. The M6 Grand Coupe is a better option that's also come way off in price and its much nicer looking than the M5. Only problem with that is my boss at work has one in the color I want (black) and it would be really awkward to buy one myself. I would literally never hear the end of it ... he just won our fantasy football league and this would be the cherry on top of his cake!
Old 12-28-2017, 09:05 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

After only a couple of weeks I am over the electronic gear lever on the column on my E400--which has nice and intuitive manual shift levers on the wheel. IMO, a "gear shift" on the center console for an automatic is just a pretend manual transmission.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:23 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Audi

Originally Posted by ace37
My guru Audi repair shop said stay away from the brand. It's mostly what they work on. The old ones were great but new are disposable. They said buy a Porsche. Did that.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:25 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye911
X6M....?

Best of all worlds - Sporty, Roomy (4 doors) and SUV so you have at least some versatility.

My wife jokes because more folks notice her X6M than my TTS Cab.

Great for road trips. Also, has serious get up and go if you ever need it.
Forgive me, Hawkeye, but I have to pick on the SUV meme. Outside of the US and China, does anybody besides posers buy "luxury" SUV's? And for everyone who thinks they are fun to drive, have they compared them to mid or large size sedans, especially hot-rod versions? And for SUV owners in the US, how many ever use any of the "utility" capabilities beyond what an AWD sedan or wagon can provide (or just any of these "rugged" capabilities at all)?
Old 12-28-2017, 10:32 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Audis have a FWD bias.
Not the newest ones. They do have a front weight bias because of how Quattro is built. But this gen of S/RS 4/5 has much more aggressive RWD power bias and less understeer.

Quick Reply: Any daily driver advice?