Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any daily driver advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 10:34 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

I own a RAV4 (mule), 981 Boxster and a Lexus IS350 (Fairly luxury Sedan). I recently replaced my Lexus with a 991.2 as my daily driver. I'm not sure why the 911 doesn't work as a daily driver. I think it is fantastic unless you are car pooling or hauling stuff.....but I haul firewood in my 911 too......not kiddin. It works.

As for driving......I prefer my 981. The 911 is turning into a Luxury cruiser and not a sports car.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:35 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by gearboxtrouble
I've spent a lot of seat time in the F10 M5 at the BMW M driving school. Its a seriously fast car but the engine is somewhat lacking in character compared to the AMGs. The M6 Grand Coupe is a better option that's also come way off in price and its much nicer looking than the M5. Only problem with that is my boss at work has one in the color I want (black) and it would be really awkward to buy one myself. I would literally never hear the end of it ... he just won our fantasy football league and this would be the cherry on top of his cake!
M6 Grand Coupe is a HORIFFICLY packaged car. It's loooooong and has terrible headroom and legroom. A CLS beats it all day, as does a Panamera. The M6 Cabrio has way less rear seat space than the 4 Cab.

Honestly, the F Chassis BMW's are not that great. I owned one almost 3 years. There are a lot of compromises.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:40 PM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 263 Posts

F150 raptor.....
Old 12-28-2017, 10:50 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,795 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

M6 Grand Coupe is a HORIFFICLY packaged car. It's loooooong and has terrible headroom and legroom. A CLS beats it all day, as does a Panamera.
But it looks 10x better than both the CLS or Panamera (the new 2018 iteration).
Old 12-28-2017, 10:51 PM
dsh
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 737gdog
F150 raptor.....
Not a bad option. GMC Denali 2500 HD Duramax crew cab is my DD. 😃
Old 12-28-2017, 10:57 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Go test drive a P100D.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:13 PM
gearboxtrouble
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by urbanscribe
Go test drive a P100D.
I did test a P90D a while back. Its insanely quick off the line but thats about it. Engine noise is a big factor for me and i'm ICE for life as long as I can get away with it. To add to that the build quality was horrifying - more like a kit car built in a chop shop than a mass manufactured car. Anecdotally, they also seem to have a lot of reliability issues - a friend's model X was in the shop so much he got rid of it for a hybrid 5 series.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:14 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Forgive me, Hawkeye, but I have to pick on the SUV meme. Outside of the US and China, does anybody besides posers buy "luxury" SUV's? And for everyone who thinks they are fun to drive, have they compared them to mid or large size sedans, especially hot-rod versions? And for SUV owners in the US, how many ever use any of the "utility" capabilities beyond what an AWD sedan or wagon can provide (or just any of these "rugged" capabilities at all)?
I'll bite. Wagons don't sell in the US, and there aren't any fun ones that I know of. Also I think they look like crap, so they wouldn't be in the picture anyway. As for sedans, I love them but I have three kids and we go on road trips all the time. With an SUV I can stack a bunch of luggage, beach umbrellas, chairs etc in the back. And I can carry pieces of furniture, exhaust systems, wheels, etc in the back as well. So yes I use the cargo space a lot.

Could I do that in an SUV that didn't have 700hp? Sure, but life is too short not to have as much fun as you can afford. Hence why we're all here on a Porsche forum.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:15 PM
gearboxtrouble
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 737gdog
F150 raptor.....
This was definitely on the list until I borrowed a Tundra from a friend and found it a really tough squeeze in my garage next to my Porsche. I'd rather not park on the street or in my drive.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:21 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

VW Arteon or Kia Stinger GT. Half the cost of all these other options with proper touch screens.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:22 PM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Fair enough. I've had a P90D as my DD for two years and can't imagine going back. My dealer lent me a 2017 Panamera GTS which is a beautiful trim and beautifully laid out (except maybe for buttongasm) but simply hated how it drives. The killer for me is that the T has a full on operating system so I can customize / control everything and visualize everything about my drive and the environment. Nav is second to none and integrated to voice and my calendar and my phone. My key sets up my whole setup (seating, music, homelink settings) and autopilot makes traffic tolerable. So the pinnacle of luxury is that my Daily Driving is assisted, simplified, enhanced. Yes the leather and interior feels sparse but this cockpit for lack of better word is genial. I can pass anyone and the car handles well any daily occasion. And that's not faint praise given it sleeps next to a Turbo S. Anyway enough for the commercial but that car is much much more than 0-60 in 2.28s.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:25 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Gearbox,

I see your point on a CTS V. I went to have a cappuccino at the Cadillac Houde in NYC the other day (very good coffee) and they had a blue one. I've had AMG before, and tend to like them. But I was favorably impressed with the one hey had on the floor. Owes (almost) nothing to an E63S. No way I would buy any Tesla for the same money, needless to say more money than that. With a lease and warranty, there is nothing to worry about. Cadillac conducts a driving school, sometimes at COTA, and that might be a good opportunity to really test the car, obviously at a cost. Depending on price differential, I would go CTS V instead of E 63S. For not much of a difference, the AMG is still AMG

May I ask what kind of deal there is in a CTS V?
Old 12-28-2017, 11:30 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Why not stick to DD your GTS?
Seriously, I have been DDing my 997 CS for years and then when time came to decide on what would be my next DD car I looked at my options. With all the new trends and new manufacturer's philosophies I dislike I narrowed it down to two choices only. So for me it was either <2015 Mercedes c62 AMG due to the last legendary NA AMG 6.2L V8 engine (preferably Black series or at least a 507) or another 911. At the end after a few month of low mile c62 amg hunt I went with 991.1 CS and do not look back.
As for SUVs and trucks, I do not use my SUVs and trucks as DDs. They serve ski vacations, longer trip purposes as well as utilitarian expeditions
Old 12-28-2017, 11:36 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Forgive me, Hawkeye, but I have to pick on the SUV meme. Outside of the US and China, does anybody besides posers buy "luxury" SUV's? And for everyone who thinks they are fun to drive, have they compared them to mid or large size sedans, especially hot-rod versions? And for SUV owners in the US, how many ever use any of the "utility" capabilities beyond what an AWD sedan or wagon can provide (or just any of these "rugged" capabilities at all)?
You are forgiven.

Great question and I know first hand cultures definitely vary.

A lot of drivers in the US like both the size and the higher seating position of SUV’s. The roads here are much easier to navigate than many other regions, so the size is not as daunting. SUV’s also allow more capability with transporting cargo.

I agree most drivers never use the off road capability (although, when living in Northern environments the AWD/4WD and ride height is great in the winter).

I’ve driven some very exotic cars - including coupes and sedans - and would argue your point on the “fun to drive”. I recommend you take a test drive of a new X5M or X6M and then compare to other sports cars. The latest X6M beat the old version of the M3 around Nuremberg... they are definitely sporty.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:45 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

As for the wagons we here still have options like Panamera Sport Turismo, AMG E63S wagon, Jag XF Sportbrake Audi Allroad etc.

Quick Reply: Any daily driver advice?