Sponsored by:

Any daily driver advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 02:05 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
It's exceptional on the freeway too. Ultra smooth, fast and a fantastic suspension. Ride quality is superb, yet also very responsive. And the seats are fantastic.
Well, I'm tired of your posting. Your signature is just too much.

Your stable choices are my ideal scenario... just not obtainable with my finances. Makes me so jealous!
Old 12-31-2017, 04:43 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 197 Posts

This thread is too long, you already own a DD, it’s called a Porsche 911. Your car is not special enough to be anything but.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:52 AM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Audi RS5 Sportback. Same 2.9 TT engine as the Panamera 4S (another good choice). Hasn’t been officially announced by Audi that it’s coming to NA but all indications are that it will be coming. Forget about the “but Audis have fwd bias” garbage. That cliche come from BMW forums. All the MLB platform cars have longitudinal engines and 60/40 rear torque split bias. The engines are mounted quite far forward but Audi has been able to engineer most of the understeering tendency out of the platform. Any Audi S/RS car will be better dynamically than a BMW SAV.
Old 12-31-2017, 07:47 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 524 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by speed_kills
Agree, I find the Macan a very fun to drive SUV despite sharing its platform with Audi/VW. Even the base Macan has worked well for me in the last 3 years as it ticks all the boxes of my DD needs.

The 991 is of course an excellent all around sports car but depending where you live, there are potential issues like public parking security, ground clearance, usable interior space, etc. So I tend to reserve mine on special occasions or for weekend fun.
Funny to hear others so in love with the Macan. We've had two '15 Turbos and both have had numerous major issues, one lemon lawed and the other - we were given an incentive to keep - is up for sale as we've just had enough of the car and the Bay Area P-car dealers are not people you generally want much contact with. Maybe we're an anomaly but... it is also a small car storage wise and if you have long legged passengers. We're waiting on our Velar to arrive in a month or so...

As to Op: Great suggestions here! If you don't need the status go with the Golf R new...or If you do used XM5/6.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:20 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

I’ll throw love the Macan’s way. Loved mine.

Like having some 911 in your lifted 4 door grocer getter.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:06 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Like having some 911 in your lifted 4 door grocer getter.
That's exactly how I describe mine. Plus, EVERYBODY whos's been in mine absolutely love it - can't say that about any other car I've owned.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:41 PM
amelen
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by gearboxtrouble
Audis are nice but the only model they sell that fits the bill is the RS7. I'm sure its a rocketship in a straight line (pretty much a Panamera Turbo under the skin) but I've never liked Audis FWD bias. Theres an all new RS7 imminent in europe so this is probably not the right time to buy one anyway.
I have an Audi S6 now - great car, I like it more than the S7 I've had previously and the 2016 refresh fixed a lot of issues with the original version of both cars. The S6 pushes 550hp/600tq with a stage 1 tune and feels lighter and more agile than the RS7. At the time, I compared it to the Mercedes and BMW options listed here and liked the S6 a lot more. Having said that, the new M5 would be a good choice too, especially since it's now AWD. I'm also keeping an eye on the upcoming 8-series that should be released in less than 6 months.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:39 PM
gearboxtrouble
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amelen
I have an Audi S6 now - great car, I like it more than the S7 I've had previously and the 2016 refresh fixed a lot of issues with the original version of both cars. The S6 pushes 550hp/600tq with a stage 1 tune and feels lighter and more agile than the RS7. At the time, I compared it to the Mercedes and BMW options listed here and liked the S6 a lot more. Having said that, the new M5 would be a good choice too, especially since it's now AWD. I'm also keeping an eye on the upcoming 8-series that should be released in less than 6 months.
I just have a case of BMW fatigue I guess. I've owned M3/4s for 12 years now, most of the time as my only car. Nothing wrong with them and I've really enjoyed owning them these years. The new M5 looks nice (better than the F10 tbh) but something about it just seems less exciting than the new E63 and the CTS-V. I'm sure its as fast or faster than the competition but for some reason, I don't feel like I need one at the moment. I'm also not looking to buy something in this category new - depreciation on all these cars is hilariously bad and I'd rather let somebody take a 1 year hit and then pick up a lightly used example for 70c on the dollar. Its going to take till late 2019 to see those kinds of M5s so I might as well try something different in the interim and go back to BMW if I'm not impressed.

The S6 is nice and its a shame we don't get an RS6 here in the US. I'll check one out and see what its like. I do like Audi's interiors and the reliability is allegedly much better than it used to be. I'm not keen on modding my cars though and would ideally like something with more power out of the box. 550+ hp V8 cars might not be easily available 15 years from now and just once I'd like to own one.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:50 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

My 911.2 GTS Coupe w SPASM will be my daily driver except for snow/sleet/salt days, and sketchy parking lots and unpaved roads. For winter/back road duty I have been using my 2005 AWD BWW 3 series, but at over 100K miles it is getting time to be put down. I am thinking about getting a stripper 718 Cayman for those duties, with 18" wheels and no PASM. I would just need to get a set of serious snow tires, Blizzaks if I they make the correct size, and not performance snows. It would be great if you could spec it with PTV and LSD (for traction), but you need to also get PASM for that, and lowering it 20mm wouldn't make sense. And yes, I'd put up with the 4 pot sound.

I don't enjoy driving non sports cars, and I want MT, so not many options. My wife has a 2017 Golf R (MT and AWD) but it is not a sports car, even if it is competent. Seating position too high, turbo lag. Can't stand SUVs with autos, not fun (for me).
Old 01-01-2018, 11:11 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

5 pages and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Acuras. My DD is a 2015 MDX - the 6-Speed, not the 9-Speed atrocity - (Sport package). It's not a Porsche, but it's fun and fits perfectly for everyday traffic. Don't worry about it in any situation. Plus SH-AWD is the real deal.

sean
Old 01-01-2018, 11:48 PM
pprj
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an S4 as a daily. Traded the car with 42k miles and drinking a quart of oil every 500 miles.
Audi refused to look at it as the car was out of warranty.
Great car, great engine, ridiculous reliability.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:49 PM
pprj
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the car. Did you bypass the smart cylinder tech that shuts off 2 cil? That drove me nuts.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:24 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

PPRJ, I don't know if that was directed at me, but if it was, VCM in my MDX has been totally invisible. No issues at all.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:02 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
This thread is too long, you already own a DD, it’s called a Porsche 911. Your car is not special enough to be anything but.
I agree 100%. I have a crap suv with snow tires to take skiing & boarding or if I need to pick up something large at the store, but smaller cars like the 911 make much better DDs. Easier to park, more fuel efficient, etc. Driving a large car and having a comfortable rock-solid reliable new or newish 911 sitting in the garage bleeding money whether you drive it or not is ridiculous. Buy an old exotic if you want to learn what a true weekend car is.
Old 01-02-2018, 01:20 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Always funny how these thread devolve into people telling other people what they should like.

Quick Reply: Any daily driver advice?