Any daily driver advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 11:49 PM
gearboxtrouble
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by br911
Gearbox,

I see your point on a CTS V. I went to have a cappuccino at the Cadillac Houde in NYC the other day (very good coffee) and they had a blue one. I've had AMG before, and tend to like them. But I was favorably impressed with the one hey had on the floor. Owes (almost) nothing to an E63S. No way I would buy any Tesla for the same money, needless to say more money than that. With a lease and warranty, there is nothing to worry about. Cadillac conducts a driving school, sometimes at COTA, and that might be a good opportunity to really test the car, obviously at a cost. Depending on price differential, I would go CTS V instead of E 63S. For not much of a difference, the AMG is still AMG

May I ask what kind of deal there is in a CTS V?
Not sure about deals on brand new cars because you only buy a brand new car in this category if you haven't heard of depreciation and don't care about having money. I was mainly looking at preowned (or certified) ones listed in the high 70s. These would be fully loaded 2017MY cars with <10k miles and I'm pretty sure theres room to negotiate that lower. My M4 trade in should make it a pretty small check all in. Good idea with the COTA school, might go check it out. Its barely 2 hours from me and I love that track. I'm not really concerned about the way it drives though - I think theres enough out there to suggest its pretty much the best drivers car in its segment. It is really the way it holds up over time thats the question mark. The interior in the car I tested was nice with good materials, good tech and no discernible squeaks and rattles. I'd want to know if that would still be the case in say 2020. Mercedes/Audi/BMW/Porsche/Lexus have enough of a track record that I wouldn't even think twice about that with them. Independent (non cadillac forum) information on the internet is pretty much not available right now.

On the new E63 I have no idea. Its too new to see what depreciation is like but I'm pretty sure residuals will stay true to AMG tradition and sink like a rock dropped in a lake. Brand new I've heard most transactions are around the 125k mark (minus taxes etc) and the few nearly new used listings I've seen were around the 115k mark. In around a years time I'd expect them to be in the 85-95k range or ~10-15k more than the equivalent model year CTS-V. I don't mind waiting for 10-11 months as long as I'm getting a much better deal and more cars to choose from.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:57 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by gearboxtrouble
I did test a P90D a while back. Its insanely quick off the line but thats about it. Engine noise is a big factor for me and i'm ICE for life as long as I can get away with it. To add to that the build quality was horrifying - more like a kit car built in a chop shop than a mass manufactured car. Anecdotally, they also seem to have a lot of reliability issues - a friend's model X was in the shop so much he got rid of it for a hybrid 5 series.
Not to derail this thread, but Tesla made the electric car sexy, but I'm beginning to think that Tesla can't make electric cars. Your experience about Tesla quality is not unique and just look at the production ramp up trouble they are having with the Model 3. How on earth are they going to manufacture the Model Y, the Roadster and new Semi? They need to sell out to world class manufacture.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:59 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,795 Likes on 4,779 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Forgive me, Hawkeye, but I have to pick on the SUV meme. Outside of the US and China, does anybody besides posers buy "luxury" SUV's? And for everyone who thinks they are fun to drive, have they compared them to mid or large size sedans, especially hot-rod versions? And for SUV owners in the US, how many ever use any of the "utility" capabilities beyond what an AWD sedan or wagon can provide (or just any of these "rugged" capabilities at all)?
But how many 911 owners actually use even 50% of the car's capabilities? Navigating the Starbuck drive-thru, and parking adjacent to another 911 at Cars and Coffee does not count.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:18 AM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a single visit to Tesla service other than annual maintenance in two and a half years and 30k miles. Fleet wide 98% owner satisfaction. They may run out of cash but the product ain't the problem with Tesla.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:27 AM
kilster
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Gearbox and br911, I was able to drive CTS-V and ATS-V at the COTA. Wonderful cars and I had a blast. One of my friends recently swapped AMG C63 for a CTS-V. Interestingly I preferred the ATS-V because it was lighter by ~500 lbs with just enough power, but the 640 ponies are addictive.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:47 AM
Loft23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My definition of a daily driver is a car that I won't obsess about and have peace of mind when parking it on the street, great ground clearance for retarded driveways, practical, and comfortable. Right now my daily driver is Uber The 991.2 is my weekend car as I live and work in San Francisco. If my condo in the city had more than one parking space, I would get a "beater". By that I mean a less expensive and more practical entry-level luxury car. It really depends where you live, but in San Francisco, there are plenty of construction, driveways designed in the 1960s where my previous M5 would bottom out and so would any other modern cars, and the streets are littered with homeless people that you can never relax when parking on the street. Also, don't forget the idiotic drivers who can't park and could care less of other people's properties. City living is not ideal for fancy cars.

"Beater" options:
  • Lease / own a moderately optioned BMW X3
  • Lease / own a Lexus IS, 3 series, C-Class
  • Hot hatches: GTI/Golf-R, Ford Focus RS, WRX
Fun / Sport Luxury:
  • Alfa Guilia Quaddrifolio
  • M3 or C63
  • Audi RS4 Avant - I have my eyes on this one and willing to consider purchasing a nearby parking space to own one.
  • Porsche Macan Turbo / GTS
If you must maintain your executive status
  • M5 / E63
  • CLS63
  • RS7
  • Panamera
Old 12-29-2017, 06:03 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 618 Likes on 249 Posts

Didn't read the thread . Hands down for me the best daily driver has been the Macan . I've owned both GTS and Turbo and both are spectacular. They have space , great drivability in any weather , fit in any parking space , are fun to drive , and are priced very nicely. It's the most driven car in my house . During Hurricane Irma it became my ONLY vehicle used for at least a month and it drove through all the drama that a bad storm can leave like a champion.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:54 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

After only a couple of weeks I am over the electronic gear lever on the column on my E400--which has nice and intuitive manual shift levers on the wheel. IMO, a "gear shift" on the center console for an automatic is just a pretend manual transmission.
Personally, after 2 years of it, the M-B column shifter felt way too “old Caddy” geriatric and I was craving something with a cooler vibe and tactile feel. It may be more logical, but what fun is logical?

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
But it looks 10x better than both the CLS or Panamera (the new 2018 iteration).
I like the new Panny for the most part, but yeah the recent and brand new CLS look horrible to me.

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Why not stick to DD your GTS?
Seriously, I have been DDing my 997 CS for years and then when time came to decide on what would be my next DD car I looked at my options. With all the new trends and new manufacturer's philosophies I dislike I narrowed it down to two choices only. So for me it was either <2015 Mercedes c62 AMG due to the last legendary NA AMG 6.2L V8 engine (preferably Black series or at least a 507) or another 911. At the end after a few month of low mile c62 amg hunt I went with 991.1 CS and do not look back.
As for SUVs and trucks, I do not use my SUVs and trucks as DDs. They serve ski vacations, longer trip purposes as well as utilitarian expeditions
The W204 C with the last N/A 6.2L is seriously a good buy. That engine alone is more exciting than anything Merc puts out now, imo. You can also get it in the 2010-2011 E63 for a good (read: nothing depreciates like a Merc) value.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
But how many 911 owners actually use even 50% of the car's capabilities? Navigating the Starbuck drive-thru, and parking adjacent to another 911 at Cars and Coffee does not count.
It humors me when urban lifers (or anyone who putts around on public roads) talk about 600whatever HP. 400 HP cars in my environment are a frustrating enough chore as I can’t get near exploiting their capabilities. My .1 C2 is WAY too fast itself to get near even a fraction of limits without being a menace. Frustrating enough to try exploring my powerband without doing constant math as to how high I can rev up, how quick I have to shift, then let off. That takes away the fun of driving. The most fun car I’ve driven through the canyons is the new Miata RF. Flat out through turns and still going a respectable speed. Or take a turn at 25 MPH and being that you don’t know where the car ends and you begin (feels like you can grip the front and back with your hands.... or like you’re such an extension of it, you’re running instead of driving) it’s msssive grin inducing joy. That’s what driving is all about. Though, luxury cars cater to a different feeling (isolation).
Old 12-29-2017, 11:47 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I'll bite. Wagons don't sell in the US, and there aren't any fun ones that I know of. Also I think they look like crap, so they wouldn't be in the picture anyway. As for sedans, I love them but I have three kids and we go on road trips all the time. With an SUV I can stack a bunch of luggage, beach umbrellas, chairs etc in the back. And I can carry pieces of furniture, exhaust systems, wheels, etc in the back as well. So yes I use the cargo space a lot.

Could I do that in an SUV that didn't have 700hp? Sure, but life is too short not to have as much fun as you can afford. Hence why we're all here on a Porsche forum.
Reacher, I certainly endorse satisfying your individual needs and tastes. And the uses you describe can justify an SUV (or, god forbid, a minivan). But I still suspect that in the US, most owners of SUV's never leave the pavement, never deal with adverse conditions like deep snow that an AWD sedan could not handle, and buy more based on fashion. And since fashion is maleable, I could imagine most buyers switching preferences if manufacturers and other influential car people (us!) promoted other options.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:13 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Reacher, I certainly endorse satisfying your individual needs and tastes. And the uses you describe can justify an SUV (or, god forbid, a minivan). But I still suspect that in the US, most owners of SUV's never leave the pavement, never deal with adverse conditions like deep snow that an AWD sedan could not handle, and buy more based on fashion. And since fashion is maleable, I could imagine most buyers switching preferences if manufacturers and other influential car people (us!) promoted other options.
​​​​​​
That is 100% true, and I know that's a common criticism. However, that's capitalism for you, and to be honest I don't really see anything wrong with it. The owners of the cars are happy even if they don't use them to their full potential, the manufacturers are happy because they get to design cool cars and keep lots of people employed, and so on.

I was born and grew up in Europe and in a lot of ways car choices are more utilitarian and pragmatic there. I think it really just comes down to things being more expensive and there being less money to go around. Relatively speaking, cars are really cheap in the US, as is gas, and there are a lot of people with high incomes. Car choices reflect that.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:03 PM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
Didn't read the thread . Hands down for me the best daily driver has been the Macan . I've owned both GTS and Turbo and both are spectacular. They have space , great drivability in any weather , fit in any parking space , are fun to drive , and are priced very nicely. It's the most driven car in my house . During Hurricane Irma it became my ONLY vehicle used for at least a month and it drove through all the drama that a bad storm can leave like a champion.
Agree, I find the Macan a very fun to drive SUV despite sharing its platform with Audi/VW. Even the base Macan has worked well for me in the last 3 years as it ticks all the boxes of my DD needs.

The 991 is of course an excellent all around sports car but depending where you live, there are potential issues like public parking security, ground clearance, usable interior space, etc. So I tend to reserve mine on special occasions or for weekend fun.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:47 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Wuss. DD the 911. I DDed an Elise, Snow, ice, Home Depot etc.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Name:  photo828.jpg
Views: 1393
Size:  90.6 KB
Old 12-30-2017, 01:52 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
This - I do a lot of highway cruising so I have a 528 MSport. I'd love an R or even a GTI for around town. It's my second favorite car
Old 12-30-2017, 02:03 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

It's exceptional on the freeway too. Ultra smooth, fast and a fantastic suspension. Ride quality is superb, yet also very responsive. And the seats are fantastic.

Quick Reply: Any daily driver advice?