Sponsored by:

Any daily driver advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:11 PM
gearboxtrouble
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Any daily driver advice?

I've started looking for a new daily driver to replace my BMW M4. The starting point was something more practical (4 drs), V8 and big FI horsepower - I have a NA 991.1 GTS that I intend to keep for a long time. As much as I've enjoyed my BMWs I feel like I need to change things up a bit and I don't want to own a Panamera on top of my existing 911. I'm now looking closely at the new E63 AMG and the Cadillac CTS-V. I'll have to wait a year or so for depreciation to work its magic with the new E63s but there are plenty of nearly new CTS-Vs around at great values (you'd have to hate the idea of money to buy a car in this class new).

I like the idea of a 640 hp RWD sedan that's 400 lbs lighter than the competition and I think the car looks pretty awesome. I've had a short test drive in one and my driving impressions were very favorable (this was expected). Initial impressions of the interior and tech were also positive (my expectations were low on this front). Does anybody here have anything they can share about the ownership experience? What's reliability like? How does the build quality hold up after a couple of years? These are really my areas of primary concern - Cadillac doesn't do well at the JD Power surveys at all and that's definitely a cause for concern.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:15 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

I vote AMG. I have a E400 wagon (not AMG, I know) but I love the chassis, onboard systems, and build quality.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:20 PM
dknj23
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you looked at new bmw m550xi? I ordered mine back in Sept and was delivered around thanksgiving for my DD. Smooth and powerful with great torque and it’s faster than my ‘15 S convertible.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:24 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Jaguar xfr. Love that car. Driving it never gets old. Father had one that I stole for a weekend. Incredible car.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:26 PM
gearboxtrouble
Advanced

Originally Posted by dknj23
Have you looked at new bmw m550xi? I ordered mine back in Sept and was delivered around thanksgiving for my DD. Smooth and powerful with great torque and it’s faster than my ‘15 S convertible.
I'm kinda tired of BMWs atm. I've owned M3/4 for the past 12 years. Heck, I'll probably end up buying the next m3 whenever its released. Its nothing bad - I just want to change things up for a bit.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:28 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

The new M-B sedans look like interchangeable bars of soap, interiors with the gear stalk feel like lazy boys. The new 5 is also a step back from its predecessor imo. Nothing really exciting coming out in the sedan world to me.

But you alreay have a 911, so who cares. Therefore you have a bunch of good options to choose from. As you said, just avoid new as nothing depreciates like a high performance M-B or BMW.

If you can stand the cheapo interior, I’d say get something more interesting like the Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:31 PM
gearboxtrouble
Advanced

Originally Posted by K-A
The new M-B sedans look like interchangeable bars of soap, interiors with the gear stalk feel like lazy boys. The new 5 is also a step back from its predecessor imo. Nothing really exciting coming out in the sedan world to me.

But you alreay have a 911, so who cares. Therefore you have a bunch of good options to choose from. As you said, just avoid new as nothing depreciates like a high performance M-B or BMW.

If if you can stabd the cheapo interior, I’d say get something more interesting like the Giulia Quadrifoglio.
I'm not brave enough - the reports of cars breaking down in the middle of road tests etc are kinda scary. Italian engineering with after sales service provided by FCA. Thats like a horror movie tagline. Agree with you about the m-b looks. They're a bit anonymous. The engine more that makes up for it though.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,786 Likes on 4,775 Posts

i3
Old 12-27-2017, 11:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Just picked up a Golf R 6 speed as my DD. Initial impression is very positive.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:06 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

I'd go with an amazing NA Mercedes AMG M159 6.2L V8 lastly seen in (up to 2014) C63 AMGs. It's shame it's no more.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:13 AM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

X6M....?

Best of all worlds - Sporty, Roomy (4 doors) and SUV so you have at least some versatility.

My wife jokes because more folks notice her X6M than my TTS Cab.

Great for road trips. Also, has serious get up and go if you ever need it.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:34 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Hawkeye911
X6M....?

Best of all worlds - Sporty, Roomy (4 doors) and SUV so you have at least some versatility.

My wife jokes because more folks notice her X6M than my TTS Cab.

Great for road trips. Also, has serious get up and go if you ever need it.
I love my X5M! 700hp with a tune makes even a heavy SUV move. It also handles really well and is actually very fun to drive. I drove it over 20 hours to Disneyworld with the kids and I was smiling the whole way.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:41 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I love my big Jag. Well, I hate that it is an auto, but great car, great sound, and supercharged not turbo.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:54 AM
dsh
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

AMG CLS63 S. 577 hp, gutsy low-end torque, 4 doors, fast and fun with a nice exhaust note. More sporty than the E63, and the rear seats are very comfortable for full sized adults. I have one and my dad has a Panamera. Very similar with respect to room inside.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:54 AM
socalpcarfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gearboxtrouble
I've started looking for a new daily driver to replace my BMW M4. The starting point was something more practical (4 drs), V8 and big FI horsepower - I have a NA 991.1 GTS that I intend to keep for a long time. As much as I've enjoyed my BMWs I feel like I need to change things up a bit and I don't want to own a Panamera on top of my existing 911. I'm now looking closely at the new E63 AMG and the Cadillac CTS-V. I'll have to wait a year or so for depreciation to work its magic with the new E63s but there are plenty of nearly new CTS-Vs around at great values (you'd have to hate the idea of money to buy a car in this class new).

I like the idea of a 640 hp RWD sedan that's 400 lbs lighter than the competition and I think the car looks pretty awesome. I've had a short test drive in one and my driving impressions were very favorable (this was expected). Initial impressions of the interior and tech were also positive (my expectations were low on this front). Does anybody here have anything they can share about the ownership experience? What's reliability like? How does the build quality hold up after a couple of years? These are really my areas of primary concern - Cadillac doesn't do well at the JD Power surveys at all and that's definitely a cause for concern.
Ferrari FF

you’ll probably end up selling the Porsche lol

Quick Reply: Any daily driver advice?