Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 12:28 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Wish I had known...was around Danbury

PS I see you did the Kent Falls run with the local chapter, fun one indeed
Yes, amazing day. Great group of people too.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:39 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by pdutta2000
+1. Seriously.

Which thread on RL was so amazing before this little spat erupted? The one about which interior to get or the one about which PPF to buy? The move to forced induction on the base Carrera line is huge and should be challenged. When Porsche eventually releases a hybrid or all electric 911 will you just sit and accept it? I won’t. At some point the changes are so big that the 911 is not a 911 anymore. That doesn’t make it better or worse but it’s worth discussing. When I bought my first Porsche they were about ready to go out of business cause of bad decisions. They released the Cayenne and re-used 911 parts on the Boxster to stay in business. Porsche is not immune to making bad decisions and almost going out of business. As people that have spent a ton of money of their product it’s worth debating. The insults can be ignored but this is the internet and it’s gonna happen. There’s only been 3 threads that I’ve seen devolve and this single thread is a great way to eliminate others threads devolving.

First of all it’s not a debate. It’s model shaming. If your issues are with Porsche and their direction then write them a letter or start a campaign. Slamming another’s persons choice of car as a way to make a statement to Porsche is childish.
After 13 Pcars myself I have seen the good and the bad the brand has had to offer and still stayed and bought the models that suited me best. I did this while not having to slam others for their model choices.
Debate, conversation about the the cars, I welcome it but this ride into grade school ranting and bullying is bull—-t.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:22 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Eh, never mind.
Yep
Old 11-05-2017, 08:13 AM
pdutta2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
First of all it’s not a debate. It’s model shaming. If your issues are with Porsche and their direction then write them a letter or start a campaign. Slamming another’s persons choice of car as a way to make a statement to Porsche is childish.
After 13 Pcars myself I have seen the good and the bad the brand has had to offer and still stayed and bought the models that suited me best. I did this while not having to slam others for their model choices.
Debate, conversation about the the cars, I welcome it but this ride into grade school ranting and bullying is bull—-t.
Please post where I’m slamming/insulting people. I’ve only got 100 posts total so it shouldn’t be hard to find. I’ll wait.

Second this is the internet. RL is not some magical place. I mentioned that the insults are pointless but impossible to avoid. Again it’s that whole internet thing. If this is new to you I have suggestions of scary places to avoid.

Third Companies do in fact read/follow these types of boards. It’s the reason they have Facebook accounts and twitter feeds, so posting to the internet is way more effective than writing a letter. This isn’t the 1980s. How many times have you heard about someone only getting help once “social media” gets involved? A message board is the definition of “Social Media”.

Finally, the whole point of this thread is to have a place where that childishness can happen without destroying other threads. It’s also clearly in good fun. It’s making a joke of the stupidity that happened in other threads. It’s brothers that went a little too far saying their Mea Cuplas.

Last edited by pdutta2000; 11-05-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:49 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

Second this is the internet. RL is not some magical place. I mentioned that the insults are pointless but impossible to avoid. Again it’s that whole internet thing. If this is new to you I have suggestions of scary places to avoid.
This.

It astounds me how people in this day and age can't understand that it's virtually impossible to always temper human nature and be civil (to their personal standards no less) on a public forum.

The truly sad part is that they don't realize how close this place is to being "magical" when compared to the norm.

I guess everyone has different thresholds...
Old 11-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Trust me nothing on here scares me. I’m not frightened that easily by bad behavior. It’s a shame it has to happen. Have your fun and you’re I’ll just avoid the playground when I don’t like the people playing there.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:59 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

Wish I had known...was around Danbury

PS I see you did the Kent Falls run with the local chapter, fun one indeed
Bemo, your GTS is a stunner. And instant classic. Hold onto it, or give it to me. Your choice.

Third Companies do in fact read/follow these types of boards. It’s the reason they have Facebook accounts and twitter feeds, so posting to the internet is way more effective than writing a letter. This isn’t the 1980s. How many times have you heard about someone only getting help once “social media” gets involved? A message board is the definition of “Social Media.”
This.

Many of us (me, at least) hope that with data showing tepid market reaction, enough data showing N/A markups, and a chorus of people who don’t “approve of” the new FI engine sounds (which is not only on Porsche boards btw, every .1 vs .2 YouTube video is filled with comment sections vastly stating strong auditory preferences for the former and relative upset with the latter, “romanticizing” N/A qualities, etc.), Porsche maybe, just maybe might give us another N/A variation. Of course, it’d be akin to the R, and get bid up to catastrophic amounts, but one can dream.

I know it sounds weird, but when we “criticize” certain elements of the .2, it isn’t about you guys (owners). It’s not directed *at* you. It’s just being put out there by an empassioned following who longs for a replacement automotive option that fulfills their emotive hunger. Just like much else that makes the Internet go round and round.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:15 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,309 Likes on 609 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
First of all it’s not a debate. It’s model shaming.

If your issues are with Porsche and their direction then write them a letter or start a campaign. Slamming another’s persons choice of car as a way to make a statement to Porsche is childish.

^ Actually, I think you were spot on, and said it well.

"Traded cars with a friend for some short commutes today.... He LOVED my old car and did mention that if he could have 2 that he would sell his #2 today and have a #1 as a weekend toy... ...but needs something more mindless to drive while he's on conference calls. - his words not mine."
"I truly am not trying to “troll or offend” .2 owners, but whenever I hear that distinct whistle with the now-faint remnants of a flat 6 thrum behind it, I can’t help but dry heave a bit."
"Porsche has become legendary based on their low-torque, stretchy powerband flat 6’s that always won comparisons against cars with gobs of torque that were far faster."
"Of course the transition will and should be hostile (to Porsche and in ideology)! Air cooled vs water cooled was way worse and that’s not even as big a deal as going from N/A to turbo."
"For the street rats, we care about more than torque and acceleration."
"PS the wife told me today that she “likes turbo†motors and is considering buying another new 911. It so happened that I was dropping off some stuff at the local hazardous materials collection place today and asked if they accept wives. Everybody laughed but the wife"
If the above isn't trolling, however poorly disguised or couched, I don't know what is. And it's the same 4-5 people, over and over and over again. They waste bandwidth, and apparently can't recognize what they're (still) doing…

Yes, this is the internet. We all know that. Some of us, like RL, have been here a lot longer than the issues some of us are pointing out. RL will be here well after the issues are solved, and it will still be here if some of us choose to disassociate.

And I guess that's just it. Whether we're users or paying members, we're all guests here. If posts are getting flagged because some of your fellow community members feel they're inappropriate, purposely inflammatory, and/or a load of poppycock, that makes more work for our hosts and chases members away. If threads are getting locked and people are getting timeouts from mods, that should also say something.

Originally Posted by K-A
Many of us (me, at least) hope that with data showing tepid market reaction, enough data showing N/A markups, and a chorus of people who don’t “approve of” the new FI engine sounds (which is not only on Porsche boards btw, every .1 vs .2 YouTube video is filled with comment sections vastly stating strong auditory preferences for the former and relative upset with the latter, “romanticizing” N/A qualities, etc.)...
Poppycock, broad statements, and vivid example to support your never-ending criticism of 911s that a number of folks here enjoy.

I like the 991.1, and tested it in every form.

I love the 991.2 in every form I've tried so far, and my increased enjoyment has to do with more than how the car sounds—which isn't at all bad, in my opinion.

You've got your opinion, and that's okay! But please stop ramming it down our throats. It's tiresome.

Originally Posted by K-A
I know it sounds weird, but when we “criticize” certain elements of the .2, it isn’t about you guys (owners). It’s not directed *at* you. .
I think we're big enough to recognize that. It's the tone, the videos, the belittlements, etc. You don't put it out there as "I prefer my car for this reason." You put it out there as "your car sounds like s--- and makes me throw up a little bit whenever I hear it."

I'll be curious to see what the mods do here.

Last edited by stout; 11-05-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:26 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

If the above isn't trolling, however poorly disguised or couched, I don't know what is. And it's the same 4-5 people, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. They waste bandwidth, and apparently can't recognize what they're (still) doing…

Yes, this is the internet. We all know that. Some of us, like RL, have been here a lot longer than the issues some of us are pointing out. RL will be here well after the issues are solved, and it will still be here if some of us choose to disassociate.

And I guess that's just it. Whether we're users or paying members, we're all guests here. If posts are getting flagged because some of your fellow community members feel they're inappropriate, purposely inflammatory, and/or a load of poppycock, that makes more work for our hosts and chases members away. If threads are getting locked and people are getting timeouts from mods, that should also say something.
Well said Gents...Penn4S/Stout- spot on. Sticky didn't help things with his " .2 tune, tune, tune- your .1 is slow and you can't do a thing with it".
No real Porsche person should ever put down another owner's car.
Ever. Personally, there is no Porsche I wouldn't own, just a matter of it being worth the money to me.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:32 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 94 Posts

If the above isn't trolling, however poorly disguised or couched, I don't know what is. And it's the same 4-5 people, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. They waste bandwidth, and apparently can't recognize what they're (still) doing…

All due respect, while some of that could be considered “trolling” on a thread as we understand is meant to consolidate playground banter, it seems like part of your problem is with strong opinions or views you don’t see eye to eye with. Shutting up empassioned/colorful verbiage doesn’t really serve a forum justice.

Why would you quote the “water cooled vs air cooled” or “911’s always beat cars with gobs of torque” comments? What’s wrong with those? Those are factual statements and if you find them inflammatory, then it appears discussing the two cars against each other is off limits. Which just isn’t realistic, considering their scope of shift.

Most came into this thread assuming this is where they can be tongue in cheek and let it fly. And it seems pretty civil to me, no personal insults, etc.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Stout - I’m sorry that this thread upsets you. It was an attempt at consolidating general sentiments and thoughts that tend to derail other dedicated topics. I’d like to think of it as the communal table at the local library where the young at heart hang out and socialize. Much better than running through the isles and knocking books off the neatly organized shelves, which inevitably earns the ire of the fastidious Librarians, which is the part you tend to play extremely well.
Keep tongue lashing us all you want as long it’s all contained in this thread.
As for the wife comment, we are enjoying a great relationship, filled with love, laughter and healthy doses of humor. Lighten up a little.

K-A - I’m keeping the GTS for now and scheming on how to optimize the finances and add another one to the stable. It will be used and likely a .1 but the wife wants a turbo...let’s see who wins this one. I’d say there are no losers
Old 11-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,603 Posts

I like the 991.1, and tested it in every form.

I love the 991.2 in every form I've tried so far, and my increased enjoyment has to do with more than how the car sounds—which isn't at all bad, in my opinion.
Pete, considering the sheer amount of 911’s you’ve driven, I’m curious for you to expand on this.

While I love my 991.1, I keep feeling like something is missing, getting in the way of me truly enjoying the car. Having driven the .1 back to back with the .2, I found the .2 to be more subdued and tied down. Which I would not think is what I’m missing....the opposite actually. But maybe not?

I know, blasphemy. Should I hand over my keys?
Old 11-05-2017, 02:48 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Most came into this thread assuming this is where they can be tongue in cheek and let it fly. And it seems pretty civil to me, no personal insults, etc.
Which is exactly why the mods haven't done anything here.
Old 11-05-2017, 02:54 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K-A
it seems like part of your problem is with strong opinions or views you don’t see eye to eye with.
Wrong. Also sounds like projection to me. I've never minded vigorous, intelligent debate, and my history on RL backs that up. Intelligent debate is a great way to learn things, and have fun.

Originally Posted by K-A
Shutting up empassioned/colorful verbiage doesn’t really serve a forum justice.
It's a matter of tone and pure volume. Impassioned and colorful doesn't have to be abrasive.

Originally Posted by K-A
Why would you quote the “water cooled vs air cooled” or “911’s always beat cars with gobs of torque” comments? What’s wrong with those? Those are factual statements
Okay, let's look at those as good examples—because they're anything but factual statements.

"Porsche has become legendary based on their low-torque, stretchy powerband flat 6’s that always won comparisons against cars with gobs of torque that were far faster."
First part is a blatantly false statement. Porsche also became legendary based on the 356-based engines in pushrod and four-cam form, flat eights and flat twelves in 908s and 917s, turbo and twin-turbo sixes in 935s/936s/956s/962s/GT1s, and the list goes on and on.

Second part is also blatantly false. There are plenty of tests where 911s have lost against other cars for any number of reasons that may or may not be due to the flat six that happened to be on duty in that model.

"Of course the transition will and should be hostile (to Porsche and in ideology)! Air cooled vs water cooled was way worse and that’s not even as big a deal as going from N/A to turbo."
Opinion stated as fact.

Originally Posted by K-A
I think the reality is we'd probably enjoy a beer or a coffee together. Maybe someday we'll get that chance. The current problem on the 991 forum is probably a matter of timing and tone-deafness on the part of a handful of people.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:01 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Stout - I’m sorry that this thread upsets you. It was an attempt at consolidating general sentiments and thoughts that tend to derail other dedicated topics. I’d like to think of it as the communal table at the local library where the young at heart hang out and socialize. Much better than running through the isles and knocking books off the neatly organized shelves, which inevitably earns the ire of the fastidious Librarians, which is the part you tend to play extremely well.
Keep tongue lashing us all you want as long it’s all contained in this thread.
As for the wife comment, we are enjoying a great relationship, filled with love, laughter and healthy doses of humor. Lighten up a little.

K-A - I’m keeping the GTS for now and scheming on how to optimize the finances and add another one to the stable. It will be used and likely a .1 but the wife wants a turbo...let’s see who wins this one. I’d say there are no losers
All good, Bemo. I understand the original intent of this thread, but let's just say the cuts are still fresh.

Ah, and good to hear your marriage is awesome. I read that quip above and felt sorry for your wife. From this, it sounds like all is better than good.

Quick Reply: 991.1 vs 991.2 Fight Club Thread