Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 T Ordering & Allocation Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 10:56 PM
mpwww
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 11 Posts

Okay so here’s another one. Lava Orange vs. GT Silver. Discuss.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:13 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 129 Posts

I was set on ordering the LWB seats for my T, but luckily my dealer had a GT3 in the showroom with the LWB. I got to try them before placing my order. I am glad I did. It is not that they were uncomfortable, they were fine, although a little come convoluted to get in and out with the doors fully open. But I had two problems with them:

First, they were too upright for me. Although they were comfortable for a short time, I could not imagine feeling the same way after 2 hours in the same position. I felt too confined. I'm 5'7 and 165 lbs.

Second, getting out of the car with the 4-way seats is challenging enough if you can only open your door two clicks (out of the 3 clicks maximum), so I can just imagine the frustration of doing this every single day in my garage, as I can't swing the door wide open when the two cars are in.

In short, glad I tried it before ordering, and very happy with the 4-way seats!
Old 06-02-2018, 02:36 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,282 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by mpwww
Okay so here’s another one. Lava Orange vs. GT Silver. Discuss.

I'm a fan of brightly coloured 911s. Lava Orange is nice, but I prefer my Racing Yellow. Some people have said that LO can look a bit like Salmon Pink in some lights. But colour preference is a very personal thing, and the 911 is an awesome machine in any colour.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:38 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts

Cant go wrong with silver on a Porsche. I do wish I could get a PTS color like Yachting Blue on my T but such is life and I cant complain. Here's the schedule for my order:
  • Order Lock Date: 06/29/2018
  • Vehicle Entry to Body Shop: 07/20/2018
  • Vehicle Completion: 07/27/2018
  • Entry Port Emden: 08/03/2018
  • Exit Port Emden: 08/24/2018
  • Entry Port Benicia, CA: 09/21/2018
  • Exit Port Benicia, CA: 10/01/2018
  • Dealer Inventory: 10/05/2018
Old 06-02-2018, 11:53 AM
mpwww
Rennlist Member

I really think it looks great in GT Silver. No doubt about it. If they had Mexico Blue I’d be on the fence. Not a fan of Miami Blue. Is there any chance there are different color selections for 2019? Or since the 992 is going to be a 2019.5 car it’s going to just be 2018 colors?

Lastly, if I can’t see the color on a car, how do I get a Lava Orange sample?
Old 06-02-2018, 12:27 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

I went with GT Silver because it is my fav color (besides red) and it was one of the first available T’s in the country. But (3 months in), given how this is a weekend car... I can see the allure of a red/yellow (orange isn’t my thing)... or Viper Green (saw a local at the grocery store with a VG GT3RS. Man, I was sold). For a car you are going to play with on the weekend, why be safe (with white/black/silver).

Mpwww - search carguru’s and look around. I just saw a Lava Orange 911 (cabriolet) is listed in Parsippany. There are five LO’s within 100 miles of you.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:31 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,282 Likes on 473 Posts

+ pretty much every Porsche dealer should have samples (painted metal panels) in most colours. You can look at them inside the showroom and then take them outside to see how the appearance differs in different lighting conditions.
Old 06-02-2018, 12:49 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

What can I say, I love GT Silver and went for it.

The T is my daily driver, and as such take it to work every day. It is already very attention grabbing as it is, so I would not want to attract any more unnecessary attention to my car.

Lava Orange is a little polarizing. In some light it looks awesome, in other it looks pinkish.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:11 PM
mpwww
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
Mpwww - search carguru’s and look around. I just saw a Lava Orange 911 (cabriolet) is listed in Parsippany. There are five LO’s within 100 miles of you.
Given how frequently I'm on CarGurus I'm surprised I didn't just realize this.

This car will be my daily. But I also drive a Chief Blue Jeep Wrangler (very similar to Mexico Blue). I'm not opposed to loud colors!
Old 06-04-2018, 09:33 PM
mpwww
Rennlist Member

Okay I tried out the LWBs in a local GT3. They also had a few Lava Orange cars. I can say the Lava Orange is out. If I had a GT3 or a Turbo or something that moves as fast as the paint I’d consider it but this is supposed to be my daily. Back forth to train station and once and a while 20 miles.

After all the reading I did on the LWBs, I really thought sitting in them was going to be their nail in the coffin. But that wasn’t the case — they feel great. They’re setup how I’d set seats. They’re snug. They don’t feel much more cumbersome in/out verses the 4-way or 14-way. I’m 6’2” and 34” waistline. But also late 30s. Maybe the last stat is the most important?
Old 06-04-2018, 09:37 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Okay I tried out the LWBs in a local GT3. They also had a few Lava Orange cars. I can say the Lava Orange is out. If I had a GT3 or a Turbo or something that moves as fast as the paint I’d consider it but this is supposed to be my daily. Back forth to train station and once and a while 20 miles.

After all the reading I did on the LWBs, I really thought sitting in them was going to be their nail in the coffin. But that wasn’t the case — they feel great. They’re setup how I’d set seats. They’re snug. They don’t feel much more cumbersome in/out verses the 4-way or 14-way. I’m 6’2” and 34” waistline. But also late 30s. Maybe the last stat is the most important?
I think initially it's not so bad. It's after you have to get in/out of them more than twice in a day or you've had to deal with them for months on end that LWBs start to show their impracticality. Also, the bolsters wear down really quick and start to crack and looked aged. When new, they do look freakin awesome though!
Old 06-04-2018, 09:42 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

I think the LWB look fantastic, are really cool, and for a weekend car I would be all over them. My main issue is trying to get out of them when you can't get the doors fully open. That was the dealbreaker for me, along with the thought of longer drives (2+ hours).
Old 06-04-2018, 09:46 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you actually had LWBs and observed this sort of wear? I’m not having any problem with mine?

I’m also an old fart and get in and out of the car with very little gracefulness. The bolsters are pretty darn tough actually. I love the LWBs though because they are very well suited for their intended use.

Inability to open doors fully. Yep, that could cause some problems LOL!
Old 06-06-2018, 10:27 PM
mpwww
Rennlist Member

Maybe LO is back in. LWBs are in. What am I going to do with myself?
Old 06-06-2018, 10:59 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 396 Posts

Re LWBs leaning too far forward, AutoQuest Motorsport has developed a reasonably priced kit to enable them to lean back a bit (I am fumbling the articulation of this but check out its website for more info--I plan to buy and install them).

Re LWBs wearing on the bolsters too much, CrazyEddie developed and sells OEM-lookalike bolster covers, which I bought for my GT4.

Re LWBs in general, for me they are perfectly comfortable, even for long drives, but ingress and egress is usually a PITA.

But there's NO denying their cool-look factor. I am on the fence whether I would spec them on a T, cool as they look and all.

Quick Reply: 911 T Ordering & Allocation Discussion