991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling a little foolish and weird for spending $150k on a car

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017 | 10:00 PM
Jzips
Instructor

This thread is awesome. Love it, profoundly. Basically, there are four stages of economic condition. The first is where the vast majority of humans live--where the notion of buying a new 911 is so unthinkable it's not even a fantasy. The second is where it is a fantasy. The third is, for a very rare few, where it is a possibility, but where the financial impact is real. This would probably be your average one percenter for whom buying a new 911 is a reality, but feels "weird" like for the OP because it's ultimately a financially meaningful decision that is being made for pleasure over prudence. The last category is the true baller (or for some, the lucky sperm club), where you can buy a 911 and not even give a **** about the chump change you're spending on it.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (10-18-2020)
Old 09-01-2017 | 12:53 PM
TJ911
Track Day

Gus, as someone who spent 25 years as a money manager, including the last ten managing assets for high-net-worth clients, I'd be inclined to say that you can afford this purchase better than probably 90% of Porsche buyers.

You would be shocked at the number of folks with 8 and even 9-figure portfolios whose spending was rapidly eating into their net worth. Our investment advisors would pull me in to meetings as a last resort, not to talk about the client's portfolio, but rather to explain the real world in terms of likely returns, risk of market pullbacks, etc.

Bottom line is some folks are genetically programmed to live on the edge, i.e. will spend 105% of their income no matter what it is. You have been spared that mutation. That's why you are feeling a tad guilty and started this thread. You should feel great about your financial situation and fiscal discipline. Buy that sucker!
Als992 (01-03-2022)
Old 09-03-2017 | 08:09 PM
amelen
Pro

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Depending on your finances, this topic may mean nothing to you. Conversely, I imagine that if I posted it just about anywhere else, I'd get figurative rocks thrown at me for wasting money.

Yesterday I signed up for a sapphire blue manual GTS 4 cabriolet, which should theoretically get delivered around December. The dealer doesn't actually have the allocation yet, he's waiting on an allocation reimbursement for having sold a GTS 4 cab with European Delivery this month.

The total cost of the new car, less discount but including taxes and fees, is $155k. 4% discount, but 6.25% sales tax. Net cost to me is $80k after trading in my 2014 C4S cab.

I can afford this. Total income for the last 12 months was $210k, spending was $62k except for this silliness on my part.

I do feel like I'm being ridiculous, though, spending this much on a car. I got where I am today by being careful with my money. When I was working, we lived on my wife's salary and saved all of mine. We had a few big-ticket expenses along the way, but not like this.

I am, technically, still Living Within My Means. I can do this because my means are rather more than they were 10 years ago. My spending reflexes are still geared toward a lower income, so it feels vaguely wrong.

Anyone sympathize with this? Please keep any rotten tomatoes unthrown, I'm aware this is First World Problem.

Oh, and I'm without my C4S for 3-4 months , because the dealer offered me $5k more if he could have the car now rather than in December, and I couldn't pass that up.
Congrats! I'm in a similar position, still on the fence, but almost ready to pull the trigger. I'd get ~$50-60k trade-in for my current car, so it would similarly be a $80k cost. I'd also go with the sapphire blue.
Old 09-04-2017 | 09:23 AM
Highyo
Pro

Finance the car and spend a portion of your upfront lower outlay on psychoanalysis and xanax. Win win.
Old 11-02-2017 | 10:07 AM
zboot
Intermediate

Good for you. You've come back every other page to post something to this effect. Me thinks the troll is posting from inside the house!

Originally Posted by Penn4S
First no war intended at all with this post.
I am a little surprised by the amount of doubt and perceived guilt I am reading about on this forum. I have owned a dozen Pcars and have met many owners and I sure didn't read any of this doubt I am seeing here. Most were real enthusiasts, confident, successful men and women even if slightly older like myself.
I have worked like a dog most of my life coming from immigrant Italian parents who worked much harder than I do for very small amounts of money. I really learned the value of money and hard work. I'm still trying to be as good as my dad was as a father and man.
I paid for my kids education so they could start real life without that burden, saved money for retirement and treated my wife like the treasure she is and helped less fortunate whenever I could.
When it came time to buy my first or last Porsche I didn't have doubt or guilt as I would not have even gone to the dealer if I was going to have internal or social norm struggles. I also did not ask strangers if they thought I should when I knew most would say sure, jump off that building I'm sure you will be fine. If I thought I could or could not afford it that was all I needed I wasn't looking for anyone else to give me an excuse for my decision.
Again I stress that I am not slamming anyone's process but I am just a bit surprised by the amount of doubt.
Old 11-02-2017 | 10:52 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

I'm feeling better now about getting my first Porsche. I can afford it, but have been hesitant about spending $35,000 to $45,000 for used 911, Cayman or Boxster. Reading the post and a lot of the responses, I will probably pull the trigger on a 2013 Boxster that has been on my mind lately. Thanks to all who contributed. RJ

P.S. Just buy it and enjoy it.

Update: Bought a 911 and glad I did.

Last edited by SoCal RJ; 12-12-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Straight Shooter (12-18-2019)
Old 11-02-2017 | 11:29 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

I couldn't originally afford my 991 so I threw my wife in to clinch the deal.

Win win.
Old 11-02-2017 | 02:14 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tse

Win win.
Good idea. Did they send her to the wholesaler, or she is on the lot with a warranty sticker/price tag?
Old 11-02-2017 | 03:07 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Good idea. Did they send her to the wholesaler, or she is on the lot with a warranty sticker/price tag?
She was quickly picked up by collector who specializes in vintage whine...
maschinetheist (10-18-2020)
Old 11-02-2017 | 06:14 PM
R_Rated
Banned

The warranty on them always seems to become void the moment you mod them; with a diamond.
Old 11-02-2017 | 10:12 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by R_Rated
The warranty on them always seems to become void the moment you mod them; with a diamond.
That’s why I just lease, it’s much cheaper than renting or buying. The only risk is the occaisional interrim period while you wait for a new one if they get upset with you not buying and won’t extend the lease.
Old 11-02-2017 | 10:41 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Originally Posted by tse

Win win.
Originally Posted by tse
She was quickly picked up by collector who specializes in vintage whine...
Originally Posted by Dewinator
That’s why I just lease, it’s much cheaper than renting or buying. The only risk is the occaisional interrim period while you wait for a new one if they get upset with you not buying and won’t extend the lease.
OMG.....Priceless responses.

Awesome
Old 11-03-2017 | 02:28 AM
See U n RearView
Instructor

Exclamation

My NA GTS is worth it weight in GOLD...

I'm just glad Porsche doesn't realize it because I'd pay $500,000.00 for it every day of the week...

So, yes we are all wierd...and I do Bleed Burgundy and Gold...
Old 11-03-2017 | 07:13 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I agree but the "occasional interim period" you speak of occurred monthly with mine...
Old 11-03-2017 | 08:02 AM
phx991
Racer

Originally Posted by See U n RearView
My NA GTS is worth it weight in GOLD...

I'm just glad Porsche doesn't realize it because I'd pay $500,000.00 for it every day of the week...

So, yes we are all wierd...and I do Bleed Burgundy and Gold...

The same GTS that smells moldy inside, and can't be driven because it doesn't pass emissions?

Quick Reply: Feeling a little foolish and weird for spending $150k on a car