Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling a little foolish and weird for spending $150k on a car

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 12:00 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I didn't pore over all the posts in this thread, but Gus, you are a breath of fresh air in these forums.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:41 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 68 Posts

Interesting thread having just bought a used 991.1 GTS, I feel guilty and elated. Can I afford it, well yes I guess so. But it's down to justification, that's a lot of holidays, something toward the pension and so on. The question I ask myself is will I enjoy it, I mean really enjoy it and the answer is yes. There will be a cost, but if the reward is there it's worth it.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:03 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude174
Not to mention a loaded king ranch diesel 4x4 is $80 plus!
Can probably get $15,000 off of that! Pick up business is crazy. List on my Pals F150 was $61,000.....they came right down to $49,000 before he opened his mouth! We get 2-3% MAX off on new order 911 up here.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:20 AM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Obturate
I didn't pore over all the posts in this thread, but Gus, you are a breath of fresh air in these forums.
Thanks. The tone of this thread definitely seems to have improved from the early days, when I had people claiming I was outright lying. Though why I would be lying completely escapes me.

Meanwhile the car arrived at the dealership yesterday.

(Actual closing price was $150,537, plus state fees, document fees, and tax).
Old 12-09-2017, 10:41 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Congrats! Gus, we're going to need a lot more pics of that beauty, though. Gorgeous car!!!

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
Thanks. The tone of this thread definitely seems to have improved from the early days, when I had people claiming I was outright lying. Though why I would be lying completely escapes me.

Old 12-09-2017, 12:01 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Congrats Gus! You are a breath of fresh air. More pics please! And a review when you have time!
Old 12-09-2017, 12:13 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Well done Gus- that was pretty fast. Terrific spec, don't think I'd change anything. Good going on the Alcantara delete. You'd miss the ventilated seats,
As soon as you drive it, you won't miss the money, guaranteed. . Enjoy it in the best of health.
Old 12-09-2017, 01:07 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
...don't give out personal information like that on a public site. It's no ones business but yours...
^^^^

I wouldn't give out your personal information like that - only you yourself can decide whether you are comfortable with this purchase or not, do not let us decide that for you or judge you for this purchase

There is no net worth or income threshold to purchase any Porsche so long as you can cut the check when it's time and live with the consequences

I am sure there are some people who are stretching to purchase some of the high end exotics I see on social media (or have big big parental support), but I don't think you see the people who have the means or want the car but don't get it and then regret it... so it's up to you to decide where in that spectrum you fall and whether it will be money well spent for you or not

You can always unload the car at a loss if necessary in those God-forbid moments to at least recover some of the cash outlay

I do know that life is short, too short, and if it makes you smile, you are comfortable with it, and your gut is telling you to do it (which I assume was the case), just don't look back and enjoy it and drive the car while you still can with your good health
Old 12-09-2017, 01:08 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Didn't see that the car came in.... Congrats and enjoy in good health, just enjoy the damn thing!
Old 12-09-2017, 01:59 PM
bikerlee
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

That picture takes me back....awesome feeling picking it up after such a long wait.
I would suggest getting some sort of ceramic coating or sealant on the wheels right away. I found brake dust just gets stuck into the black satin paint and they look dirty/rusty even after a good clean. I ended up having to remove the wheels to get the barrels cleaned up before using Kamikaze Stance and then applying Carpro Reload. Now just cleaning with regular car soap is enough to get most of the brake dust off with very little effort
Old 12-09-2017, 02:10 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,029 Posts

It's all good Gus. The internet is the internet and it is easy to be rude or mean anonymously.

Congrats on your car! Wow!
Old 12-09-2017, 02:27 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats, enjoy!
Old 12-09-2017, 02:28 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Gus, we're going to need a lot more pics of that beauty, though.
I'll make a point of it, though at this point it looks like I won't be picking it up for another week.

Title comes in Monday or Tuesday, but the real issue is that I want my wife's name on the title as well as mine, and she's pretty busy this week so it's hard to do so on a workday. Office Christmas stuff and meetings.

The delay is highly irritating, even though the car is here 3 weeks early. I know it's silly to chafe at the delay, given that it's one week out of future years of ownership.

Originally Posted by bikerlee
I would suggest getting some sort of ceramic coating or sealant on the wheels right away. I found brake dust just gets stuck into the black satin paint and they look dirty/rusty even after a good clean.
Hadn't thought about that. I'm planning on paint protection film. I should probably do that sooner rather than later, but there's that whole delayed gratification thing again.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:55 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I find this advice completely without basis. My retirement salary was infinitely less than $210k. Yet, I have purchased six Porsches new since 1974. I even paid cash for the last four. I also have an estate that is worth far more than most of my fellow college professors. That is because I invested wisely, owned wisely,sold wisely and purchased wisely. I also performed wisely in my discipline. I tried to time my purchases of Porsches wisely. My only misstep was the1995 993 that I picked up in Stuttgart and owned for 18 years and reluctantly sold for a new 991 in 2013 . I have owned new Porsches for as little as 15 or 24 months. My mantra has always been: IF I CANNOT AFFORD TO PAY CASH FOR IT, DO NOT BUY IT. At this date this is serving us well. My family will be left well and I have negotiated for my undergraduate institution to receive about $2M when I step off the curb.The bottom line is that I have accomplished my goals: my family is well taken care of, I have left a significant amount to an academic institution that made me successful and I have owned several Porsches and traveled the world and I have contributed to society. What more can you ask of your life?
Old 12-09-2017, 04:53 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

delete

Quick Reply: Feeling a little foolish and weird for spending $150k on a car