991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling a little foolish and weird for spending $150k on a car

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017 | 06:03 PM
LexVan
Banned

Why so low a % for children? They are all moved out, and don't count "per household"?
Old 08-30-2017 | 06:14 PM
Ryan_G
Advanced

Where are they getting this data from? Is it self reported survey data? That may not be all that reliable as high earners with an ego are much more likely to respond. I am sure I could find the source if I was willing to look but I'm not. It just seems incredibly high to me considering the number of P-cars I see in my area. I know many are bought used but someone is buying them new and Tampa isn't exactly known to have a glut of 1%.
Old 08-30-2017 | 06:16 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Well according to those charts....I guess I should be walking...

Old 08-30-2017 | 06:20 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

These stats and numbers don't mean a whole lot to me. When you are on your death bed (or just seconds before you take your last breath), will all this matter? So much of life is out of our hands. I leave it to the good Lord.
I've always wanted a 911, more specifically, a turbo. I don't spend a lot of money on myself. My wife...that's a whole new forum. If you are able to maximize retirement savings, able to pay monthly bills, put the kids through college, have emergency funds, and help your fellow human beings out when the need arise, then what's your excuse?! Cost of toys can never be justified and falls in the fool's category IMO; it just can't be justified monetarily. I've been chipping away at saving for my toy and when I write that 6 figure check, I won't regret it nor will I feel guilty. Enjoy it because your spine and joints won't wait!
Old 08-30-2017 | 06:21 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Well according to those charts....I guess I should be walking...

Me too, brotha!
Old 08-30-2017 | 08:00 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

I read through the first 6 or so pages of this thread. I'm a CPA and on my fourth Porsche. I understand finance and saving for retirement. The only one I ever purchased new was my first, a Boxster. I think you can afford the car. As I am approaching 60 and see and hear of friends and acquaintances, clients etc getting sick, cancer, heart surgery etc, I say screw it...YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE. Get the damn Porsche, there is no substitute. We all know that here. You can't take it with you and this will probably be your last one you buy.
Old 08-30-2017 | 08:06 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Originally Posted by KenTO
You will be fine. While the new car is a depreciating asset it will never be worth 0. Your initial outlay is about $ 80,000. If you trade/sell in 3 years the car will be worth that much. I think the key is that you have NO KIDS. My net worth is over 10x more than yours, but with 3 kids I feel poor.
Yoursare Canadian dollars, thats only about 7x more...LOL
Old 08-30-2017 | 11:27 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Thanks Gus for starting a thread where we all get to second guess our purchase or to rationalize it. I completely understand the weird feeling, lets face it- you have finite financial resources but your car passion needs to be satisfied. They ying and yang are battling.

Funny thing for me- as I've owned about 35 cars, I've had buyers or sellers remorse on much, much less expensive cars. While my C2 was a lot less money than your incoming GTS, I have zero, absolutely zero regrets on the purchase. While I expect to work for another decade, retirement is getting real for me.However, I found that if working all these years can't support that little Porsche, it was all a waste.

Try to enjoy the wait.
Old 08-31-2017 | 08:06 AM
freeman727
Racer

Originally Posted by joedjr

The age and income averages really do surprise me. I would have thought $200,000 less and a decade younger. I guess Porsche really does target rich old men!
Old 08-31-2017 | 08:34 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

First no war intended at all with this post.
I am a little surprised by the amount of doubt and perceived guilt I am reading about on this forum. I have owned a dozen Pcars and have met many owners and I sure didn't read any of this doubt I am seeing here. Most were real enthusiasts, confident, successful men and women even if slightly older like myself.
I have worked like a dog most of my life coming from immigrant Italian parents who worked much harder than I do for very small amounts of money. I really learned the value of money and hard work. I'm still trying to be as good as my dad was as a father and man.
I paid for my kids education so they could start real life without that burden, saved money for retirement and treated my wife like the treasure she is and helped less fortunate whenever I could.
When it came time to buy my first or last Porsche I didn't have doubt or guilt as I would not have even gone to the dealer if I was going to have internal or social norm struggles. I also did not ask strangers if they thought I should when I knew most would say sure, jump off that building I'm sure you will be fine. If I thought I could or could not afford it that was all I needed I wasn't looking for anyone else to give me an excuse for my decision.
Again I stress that I am not slamming anyone's process but I am just a bit surprised by the amount of doubt.

Last edited by Penn4S; 08-31-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-31-2017 | 08:45 AM
911sTO
Advanced

Originally Posted by freeman727
The age and income averages really do surprise me. I would have thought $200,000 less and a decade younger. I guess Porsche really does target rich old men!

I think the averages are thrown off by the top end - the median number would be more interesting
Old 08-31-2017 | 09:12 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

One other little thing to add:. It's not as if you're throwing the total amount of $ down the drain. The car still has value and is actually quite liquid. Yes, it's a depreciating asset, but it doesn't all vanish on day 1. Even after 5 years and a fair amount if miles, it probably will still be worth 50% of sale price. Need $? Drive it down to CarMax and walk away.
Old 08-31-2017 | 12:15 PM
beaudawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911sTO
I think the averages are thrown off by the top end - the median number would be more interesting
Agreed. To quote someone far more eloquent than myself:

Originally Posted by Mark Twain (maybe)
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Old 08-31-2017 | 12:17 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

I agree that the median would be a better number. Like for BMW you have rich people buying and college kids leasing them that can't afford them.
Old 08-31-2017 | 01:48 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911sTO
This-^

I'd like all the stats (e.g. low, high, medium, std dev, etc.) and a histogram or three.

Remember Ben Disraeli.
There are three kinds of lies:
Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Quick Reply: Feeling a little foolish and weird for spending $150k on a car