Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feeling a little foolish and weird for spending $150k on a car

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:36 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Couple of days late but yes I totally get where OP is coming from. I had every intention of ordering a GTS in January when I turn in my 2016C2.

Was looking at $160,000 OTD.

I can afford that. I wouldn't need to make sacrifices in other areas to either pay a monthly or simply write a single check and be done with it.

But the more I thought about it the less I wanted to drive around in a $160,000 car. I love the GTS but I love the idea of most of that money continuing to grow in my investments.

I picked up a 964 instead and Im glad I did. I love this car, even more than my 2016C2 and it was less than a third the cost of that GTS.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:47 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
...This is indeed an emotional thing.
It's also an art thing, and a support
of people who make something we
enjoy for a living. Porsche may not
be the romantic company it once
was in our rose-colored glasses,
but I've met a lot of people who
design, engineer, and built these
cars—and am very glad to support
them and their families. I think
their products present very good
value for money...if one can stay
away from the options!
Well stated, Pete! Good to see you
contributing so frequently to this forum.
I am hopefully getting a '17 .2 991 S
Coupe on Tuesday...in part because
of the intelligent & thoughful things
you have been posting here re: the
.2 991! Your views were also were
instrumental in my decision to order
a '12 987 Boxster Spyder in 2011!
You were a big supporter of that
model too. I still remember well
our conversation at David Mohlman's
pool deck during the Monterey Historics
Car Week many years ago! So hopefully,
I will be joining you soon here on this
forum to continue a thoughful conversation
re: our hobby & these fascinating .1 & .2
991 models!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Old 08-28-2017, 12:17 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,782 Likes on 5,143 Posts

If you have to ask the question, then it's most likely not the right purchase for you.

These things are purely emotional purchases; reason and logic are about as necessary to such a decision as raw broccoli is in a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (10-18-2020)
Old 08-28-2017, 12:17 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Well stated, Pete! Good to see you
contributing so frequently to this forum.
I am hopefully getting a '17 .2 991 S
Coupe on Tuesday...in part because
of the intelligent & thoughful things
you have been posting here re: the
.2 991! Your views were also were
instrumental in my decision to order
a '12 987 Boxster Spyder in 2011!
You were a big supporter of that
model too. I still remember well
our conversation at David Mohlman's
pool deck during the Monterey Historics
Car Week many years ago! So hopefully,
I will be joining you soon here on this
forum to continue a thoughful conversation
re: our hobby & these fascinating .1 & .2
991 models!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale
Ah, congratulations, Eduardo! Knowing you, it will be a Carrera S tastefully set up. Can't wait to see it, and please do share some pics and your thoughts. I went back and forth between Carrera with special options, Carrera S with a minimum of options, and Carrera GTS with essentially no options. It wasn't easy, but then, this is only because it's hard to go wrong within this lineup.

P.S. I hate seeing typos in my ramblings, but maybe the bar is lower here on RL and I can just hang out?
Old 08-28-2017, 12:35 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

OP, if you do read this thread again, I think your feeling indicates a positive thing. It shows a connection to normal reality. I've felt it too and it was actually strongest with a far cheaper car due to inferior financial circumstances. I wondered if I was being selfish. I decided I wasn't but I had to work through to the conclusion.

I feel once first your personal needs/goals are met and second you are doing things for others to your satisfaction, you're in the right place. A personal luxury is the icing on the cake of a life well led. From the picture you've painted, it sounds like you've earned a few luxuries for yourself. I think you owe it to yourself to let go of that feeling and enjoy the car.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:57 AM
FirstF80InSpace
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
You will be fine. While the new car is a depreciating asset it will never be worth 0. Your initial outlay is about $ 80,000. If you trade/sell in 3 years the car will be worth that much. I think the key is that you have NO KIDS. My net worth is over 10x more than yours, but with 3 kids I feel poor.
Damn! Baller in the house!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:19 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by FirstF80InSpace
Damn! Baller in the house!
I'm rich in love
I'm rich in love
I'm rich in love

ok - I feel even richer!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:33 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus_Smedstad
My liquid net worth is $1.7 million. Which is not a figure I normally discuss
Don't worry, your secret is safe here.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Don't worry, your secret is safe here.
LMFAO
Old 08-28-2017, 12:53 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Firstly,don't give out personal information like that on a public site. It's no ones business but yours. Secondly,IMHO, your gross income is way too low to justify a car that expensive. Talk to your accountant. Keep the one you have unless there is a problem with it. Yes, yolo but as you approach retirement you may regret the purchase. Of course , all bets are off if you are expecting a large inheritance. And no, you don't have to tell us your fathers net income.
Was waiting to see if there was a post like this before I said anything.

I don't think anyone should put their personal info on here. Also, the original question of whether it is feasible or "foolish" as the original title said to purchase a product of pleasure or service should be one addressed to their accountant or financial adviser if one has one.

With that said, you got a dynamite car - and you're going to love it. Some say that emotional connection to the pleasures of life are priceless.

You'll know whether it was worth it soon enough.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:16 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,724 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Funny you should mention that because my Uber account was taken over by Russians last month. I started getting ride reqests notifications in Russian followed by credit card charges. Uber took care of it.

I would bet that the vast majority of Rennlisters in the 991 forum have net worths over $1 million. I guess we are all targets then?
Anyone who has anything of value can be a target. Poor old ladies who get hit with randsomware and are asked to fork over $300 are a target.

That said, $1MM is liquid worth is totally different than $1MM in net worth.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:05 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As for this thread's purpose in general - it was never my intent to ask anyone if I could afford it. The calculations a few threw out in that regard struck me as ridiculous, ignoring a few basic facts. I have the money, it's coming out of this year's surplus rather than savings from prior years, yes I can afford it.

No, I just wanted to talk about how I felt weird despite being able to afford it. Which is largely about reflexively saving money all my life, and starting off, well not poor, but lower middle class, and like many just getting by in my 20's.

Some buyers here won't be able to relate since they've always had money, or just have an order of magnitude more money than I've ever seen, but I thought some people here could relate, and would appreciate talking about it.
I can relate and do enjoy reading the entire 11 pages, good or bad. We are all different. I grew up with gov't assistance, my parents were very poor, like dirt poor. I'm fortunate enough to afford two Porsches now but do feel a bit guilty about it sometimes. Did I do the right thing? My money is probably better invested somewhere else other than depreciating assets. But from your post, I can see that you are very proud and want to let the world know, what better way to do this than to a group of enthusiast that doesn't know you. I post about my cars on the forum but in real life I rarely talk about it. I don't drive it anywhere with a lot of people. I certainly don't talk about it much, especially with people I grew up with still collecting their welfare checks. You did the right thing, no need to feel bad. Congrats on your new purchase, enjoy it in good health.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:59 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I just wanted to talk about how I felt weird despite being able to afford it

I must feel guilty on a subconscious level as well... whenever anyone asks about my car I always find myself pointing out that is preowned, that it was not so expensive... and back in Spain only close family or friends that have visited here know about it, I haven't even told most of my close friends fearing they would not understand it.

Fact is, if I was still in Spain I wouldn't have considered owning one, it would have been considered a total show off thing (and the cost would have been higher as well).

In Miami, they are a dime a dozen and nobody cares, and I definitely can afford it (specially since it is preowned), but I still have to remind myself from time to time that it is OK to enjoy life a bit while you can.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:00 AM
DarenB68
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moderators, please move this thread to the appropriate forum:

http://www.ferrarichat.com

Old 08-29-2017, 02:30 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 396 Posts

It's a MT, so it's money well spent. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Feeling a little foolish and weird for spending $150k on a car