Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any regrets upgrading from NA to Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Making more than 100 HP/litre reliably out of an NA engine isn't bad. I've had enough experience with those BMW 3.2s to know that they have a ton of issues and, unlike the Porsche, always struggled to make rated power.

And because Porsche was comfortably getting them to the power level they didn't want to exceed, there's more power (and particularly torque) there if you want to go and find it.

At the end of the day, of course it can't match what a turbo engine can do in terms of raw figures. It's not hard to find old turbo engines making more out of less displacement than the 3.0 flat six is doing now either, but none of that matters. Porsche's reasons for going turbo aren't that they really wanted or needed to, but rather that regulations forced their hand along with that of other European car makers. There's more to enjoying a car and its engine than power and torque, and some people will prefer the low RPM shove that turbos provide where others get giddy from the power gradually building to a crescendo with an NA. Whatever floats your boat, but figures are never going to be the whole story.
100 hp per liter in NA form from a six cylinder is fantastic. BMW was doing it in 1995.

I mean no offense but I probably have more experience with the S54 and I saw incredible consistency to the dyno's and output putting them at a 15% drivetrain loss right on the money. Care to post proof of your assertion they don't make power?

Where is the more power and torque from Porsche and their 3.4? I can show you 350+ whp naturally aspirated examples of BMW's 3.2. I can't find one of the Porsche 3.4 in that range.

Exactly, it's not just about raw output but the 9A2 is providing its output with great spool, a linear curve, and clean emissions. Not to mention more power, torque, and greater headroom. That is probably why it is rated the best 3.0 liter powerplant in the world in 2017.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:22 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
That Camaro is beating you, easily. Not even counting the ZL1, again, beating you easily. Not even counting the CTS-V, again, beating you easily. Then you have the Corvettes, again, beating you easily.

The amount of cars to list that are faster would take too long. Suffice it to say, the list is long enough that a 991.1 is simply not for me. The 991.2 on the other hand...
I'd imagine most everyone here would just go buy a Dodge Demon if they were so lacking in gentleman sausage that the list of cars "beating them easily" kept them up at night. 911s have never really been a bang for your buck kind of car.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:27 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

I have a 991.2 C2S and it definitely has turbo lag, I don't think there is a way to eliminate it unless they come out with a hybrid to fill the gap...

Personally I think the additional power and torque is amazing and makes the fun to drive. however I own a GT3 so I get my n/a kicks when I want to. if I could only have one, i would own a 991.1
Old 08-19-2017, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I'd imagine most everyone here would just go buy a Dodge Demon if they were so lacking in gentleman sausage that the list of cars "beating them easily" kept them up at night. 911s have never really been a bang for your buck kind of car.
Well, the 991.2 sure offers tremendous bang for the buck IMO and is going to be the most popular Porsche tuning platform. I guess I'll have to show you so you understand.

It's a tremendous achievement.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:45 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,575 Likes on 603 Posts

100 hp per liter in NA form from a six cylinder is fantastic. BMW was doing it in 1995.
And they still were at 100 HP in 2005 with their V10, with nowhere near Porsche reliability, what's the point?

15% drivetrain loss right on the money. Care to post proof of your assertion they don't make power?
Not interested in guessing at drivetrain loss percentages which are inherently flawed as loss doesn't scale with power. The MAHA dyno is the best there is for estimating flywheel power. My best friend's 2002 M3 never made more than 320 stock - but did respond well to modding and remap. But as well as stuff like VANOS is when it actually works, and the throttle bodies, they aren't particularly reliable. Neither is my Audi's 4.2L V8 with its 100hp/L for that matter. In any case ou need a lot more than exhaust and tune to get to the big numbers it's a matter of what you want to spend at that point so let's keep it about stock engines. With enough money you can get 150 horsepower per litre out of just about any NA engine.

Pointless argument.
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
I have a 991.2 C2S and it definitely has turbo lag, I don't think there is a way to eliminate it unless they come out with a hybrid to fill the gap...

Personally I think the additional power and torque is amazing and makes the fun to drive. however I own a GT3 so I get my n/a kicks when I want to. if I could only have one, i would own a 991.1
Great perspective, thanks. And now that I have the 360 for my revvy NA fun I'd probably be a lot less opposed to having a .2 for my DD instead of the .1 too. The .1 and .2 are definitely both amazing cars they just sort of scratch different itches. One being amazing doesn't make the other any less so.
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,606 Likes on 1,619 Posts

In the 997.2 and 991.1 eras I would have never considered a Carrera or Carrera S due to how weak they are. What's strong about it?

Now that Porsche gave the Carrera a pair of *****, game on.
The sad look on the face of a 991.1 or 997 owner after reality sets in is the priceless look I love.
Then you really don't understand the appeal of a 911. Seems like you should go get a Corvette or maybe a Camaro ZL1.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:51 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,606 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Translation: Whoops, caught in a lie so I'll resort to personal attacks.

An adult would apologize, not throw a tantrum.
I literally LOL'd at this post since 50% of what you have written in this thread is a personal attack.

We get it. You say the 991.2 is superior. You are correct. Feel better now?
Old 08-19-2017, 05:56 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

The GTS is faster because the GT350 is manual only. I'm guessing your car is PDK? The GT350 even loses to an automatic 6th gen Camaro SS: http://www.****************/content.p...utomatic-makes

That Camaro is beating you, easily. Not even counting the ZL1, again, beating you easily. Not even counting the CTS-V, again, beating you easily. Then you have the Corvettes, again, beating you easily.

The amount of cars to list that are faster would take too long. Suffice it to say, the list is long enough that a 991.1 is simply not for me. The 991.2 on the other hand...

Yes, the M4 is faster is as well. As is the Performance Package M4.

Let's not act like the 991.2 is going to blow up from a tune. Porsche gives it a range of 370-450 hp themselves with plenty built in there. It's a Porsche tuning value and the best one they ever offered in their history. If you're into power, it's no discussion.

Go with whatever makes you happy but let's not pretend the 991.1 can keep up with much of anything these days.

Your are truly delusional. I have had no problem with a Camaro outside of a ZL1, have no issues with Corvettes outside of a Z06.
It will take a true 991 Turbo to beat those, a 991.2 may tie.

M4s are not even anywhere close, nada, nil.....don't let the "terrrbo" word sway you from the facts. CTSVs are just pigs, fast in a straight line only, one curve and the 4K lb car is history.

Simply go to this page OF VALID PRINTED ROAD TESTS and see what actual times are out there (Camaro, Corvette, all the ones you mentioned) One example.....

https://www.0-60specs.com/

Go look at Porsche first for 991.1 GTS

RWD 7A 3.6 sec 11.9 sec @ 118 mph

BMW M4 Comp Package

Competition Package Coupe RWD 7A 4.0 sec 12.1 sec @ 118 mph

Not the trouncing you were expecting? Now go look at all the others you brought up (even a new ZL1, etc), then come back and correct your statements. You are discounting a 991.1 a bit too much. They are not slow by any means. 991.2s are faster, but so are a lot of other cars.

Also, please, please.....if you have the funds, go buy a 991.2, mod it and come back with incredible stories, the entertainment value will be unmatched.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Then you really don't understand the appeal of a 911. Seems like you should go get a Corvette or maybe a Camaro ZL1.
I don't need you to tell me how to enjoy my car.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Your are truly delusional. I have had no problem with a Camaro outside of a ZL1, have no issues with Corvettes outside of a Z06.
It will take a true 991 Turbo to beat those, a 991.2 may tie.

M4s are not even anywhere close, nada, nil.....don't let the "terrrbo" word sway you from the facts. CTSVs are just pigs, fast in a straight line only, one curve and the 4K lb car is history.

Simply go to this page OF VALID PRINTED ROAD TESTS and see what actual times are out there (Camaro, Corvette, all the ones you mentioned) One example.....

https://www.0-60specs.com/

Go look at Porsche first for 991.1 GTS

RWD 7A 3.6 sec 11.9 sec @ 118 mph

BMW M4 Comp Package

Competition Package Coupe RWD 7A 4.0 sec 12.1 sec @ 118 mph

Not the trouncing you were expecting? Now go look at all the others you brought up (even a new ZL1, etc), then come back and correct your statements. You are discounting a 991.1 a bit too much. They are not slow by any means. 991.2s are faster, but so are a lot of other cars.

Also, please, please.....if you have the funds, go buy a 991.2, mod it and come back with incredible stories, the entertainment value will be unmatched.
That's adorable, you're magazine racing.

The 991.2 has slips showing 11.5@120 stock.

Show me a 991.1 GTS slip anywhere near that. I'll wait.

This is a STOCK F80 M3:

Plenty of them in the 10's too.

Camaro SS? Stock 11.9:

Where are the 991.1's? Magazine racing on forums.

What do you mean if I have the funds? My modded 991.2 is sitting in my garage. Worry about the funds for your own.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:45 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

That's adorable, you're magazine racing.

The 991.2 has slips showing 11.5@120 stock.

Show me a 991.1 GTS slip anywhere near that. I'll wait.

This is a STOCK F80 M3:

Plenty of them in the 10's too.

Camaro SS? Stock 11.9:

Where are the 991.1's? Magazine racing on forums.

What do you mean if I have the funds? My modded 991.2 is sitting in my garage. Worry about the funds for your own.
Why do you keep referring to drag racing? The M4 would beat a 991.1 base in a drag race - who cares?
Old 08-19-2017, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Why do you keep referring to drag racing? The M4 would beat a 991.1 base in a drag race - who cares?
People who don't like having slow 911's when a newer one is available, like the one in the topic, that is turbocharged and quite quick? How else do you intend to show just how big the difference is?

Isn't the 991.2 already running 11.1 and on the verge of 10's? Isn't that unheard of for a Carrera?

Why do we even have a Carrera, S, and GTS if the power doesn't matter?
Old 08-19-2017, 06:52 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

People who don't like having slow 911's when a newer one is available, like the one in the topic, that is turbocharged and quite quick? How else do you intend to show just how big the difference is?

Isn't the 991.2 already running 11.1 and on the verge of 10's? Isn't that unheard of for a Carrera?

Why do we even have a Carrera, S, and GTS if the power doesn't matter?
Because power doesn't help you stop or turn.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Because power doesn't help you stop or turn.
Well you should tell Suncoast to delete their 991.2 X51 upgrade thread and tell people buying it they should worry more about stopping and turning.

Quick Reply: Any regrets upgrading from NA to Turbo