Any regrets upgrading from NA to Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 10:59 AM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 655 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Can we see some more dog pics?

Sometimes he goes like a turbo, sometimes he sounds NA, but I can tell you this, he is definitely equipped with FBSE (French Bulldog Sports Exhaust!)
Old 08-24-2017, 11:14 AM
trayvon
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
doesn't matter. It's like telling someone about jazz or reading about music. Interesting at best but irrelevant to how good something sounds.

some of you are too smart... data and graphs don't mean anything in an emotional discussion. It's like trying to use facts to tell a liberal that the perceived rich can't pay for everyone to have a Porsche.
Yeah, not sure why Fourier analysis is being brought up. I actually did my undergrad degree in statistics, so I'm the first to want to bring numbers into any discussion, but sound is too subjective for any of that to matter.

Obviously Porsche hires engineers to design an exhaust system that creates the sound they want to create, and recording artists in the studio use expensive equipment to engineer the perfect sound for their music too. Doesn't mean anyone will like it. Could not possibly give any less of a crap about the amplitude or frequency of the sound of the exhaust. If the 991.2 sounds good to someone, they're in luck! They like the sound of the faster car.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:36 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Old 08-24-2017, 01:44 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 260 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Looks like a slow underpowered NA motor, at least it has a nice bark!
Old 08-24-2017, 03:30 PM
Chozzer
4th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I owned the 991.1 GTS which I sold c. a year ago, and recently took delivery of a 991.2 GTS.

Without any doubt in my mind whatsoever, the .2 feels the much faster car, especially around that max torque range between 2K and 5K.

Equally, without any doubt whatsoever, I feel the 991.1 sounded better.

However the .2 sounds great still to my ears and still "sounds like a 911" no question. No regrets at all.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Looks like a slow underpowered NA motor, at least it has a nice bark!
Actually, I'm fairly certain she's turbocharged, based on the fart sounds that come out of her rear end. She is fast though.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:48 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by trayvon
Yeah, not sure why Fourier analysis is being brought up. I actually did my undergrad degree in statistics, so I'm the first to want to bring numbers into any discussion, but sound is too subjective for any of that to matter.

Obviously Porsche hires engineers to design an exhaust system that creates the sound they want to create, and recording artists in the studio use expensive equipment to engineer the perfect sound for their music too. Doesn't mean anyone will like it. Could not possibly give any less of a crap about the amplitude or frequency of the sound of the exhaust. If the 991.2 sounds good to someone, they're in luck! They like the sound of the faster car.
A fast fourier transform is not a statistical tool its a mathematical algorithm often applied to digital data analysis.

In essence it allows one to transform data from different domains and then analyse them e.g. collect sound with digital recorder and transform into a visual sound map. In turn, this can be viewed in the same space as other maps from a variety of different cars, as digital overlays, for comparative purposes for example.

Frequency, wavelength and amplitude define sound. You may not give "a crap about them" nontheless, they define the sound output of your car.

As I have said previously, I no longer post data as its no longer possible to have a meaningful and mature discussion. However and remarkably, race pipes are the great leveller - no need to say more.

The view as to what constitutes a good sound is completely subjective ipso facto largely irrelevant e.g. You either like it or you don't like it. Alternatively you can swap the exhaust system to give you the sound level you want or like. Thats an easy decision to make.

If you don't like the sound a car makes, you don't have to buy it - again an easy decision. However, in the real world the vast majority of people that buy cars assess a range of variables before making a purchase - this even applies to Porsche owners.

Last edited by randr; 08-24-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:19 PM
VWfamily
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, so many topics on this site are so helpful.

Then there are topics like this. . . . . .
Old 08-24-2017, 10:57 PM
trayvon
Instructor

Lol I know what a Fourier transform is... Statistics majors generally include a lot of fundamental mathematics courses too; calculus 1 through 3, combinatorics, etc..

But, it actually is a valid statistical tool, useful in signal processing, which I would say is a close relative of time series analysis (which we spent a lot of time on).

I'm also a bit of a math nerd and I think Fourier transforms are pretty cool
Old 08-25-2017, 03:59 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 207 Posts

Lol I know what a Fourier transform is... Statistics majors generally include a lot of fundamental mathematics courses too; calculus 1 through 3, combinatorics, etc..

But, it actually is a valid statistical tool, useful in signal processing, which I would say is a close relative of time series analysis (which we spent a lot of time on).

I'm also a bit of a math nerd and I think Fourier transforms are pretty cool
Wow, you are so smart(?) but no one gives a ****. You need to get a life or a Rennlist membership and look at the I.H.I. thread and check out everything you've been missing out on in life.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:50 PM
trayvon
Instructor

Originally Posted by KenTO
Wow, you are so smart(?) but no one gives a ****. You need to get a life or a Rennlist membership and look at the I.H.I. thread and check out everything you've been missing out on in life.
lol that seems a little harsh, I'm sorry you are having a bad day (or maybe just really hate math?) but I am not trying to pass a bachelors degree off as some sort of certificate of brilliance. just discussing math with someone who was also discussing math

I figured since we went from 991.1 vs 991.2 ----> dog pictures, pretty much anything is on topic at this point

PS you should not assume that anyone talking about math is trying to be a pompous douche... It can be hard to talk about math concepts without sounding like an ***.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:56 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,245 Posts

I figured since we went from 991.1 vs 991.2 ----> dog pictures, pretty much anything is on topic at this point

PS you should not assume that anyone talking about math is trying to be a pompous douche... It can be hard to talk about math concepts without sounding like an ***.

100% True.

Quick Reply: Any regrets upgrading from NA to Turbo