Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Front hips as wide as the rear hips of a C4

Old 08-20-2017, 10:52 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Carrera white C4. Naturally aspirated with a mean growl if she doesn't get premium (ice cream).
Attached Images  
Old 08-20-2017, 12:57 PM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 144 Posts

I'll play!

RWB (reverse wide body) and EFS (extended front spoiler)...

Name:  photo53.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  1.70 MB
Old 08-20-2017, 01:07 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
You forgot one thing,.....a GTS is NOT a GT3, huge differences. You may play with one for a race or two until yours breaks. GT3s are built for the track, GTSs are not. Don't even compare the two.
You do have a point. I don't know about breaking down or what not, but GT3 comes with a lot of stuff you'll eventually need to put on your Carrera if you're serious about track, including but not limited to, R-comp tires, bucket seats (optional but hey, who does not get it), better suspension (you can run proper camber in front), much more options w roll bars since Euro cars can be optioned w one, so easier to install bars/harnesses etc.

But after building a super fast 991.2, one could definitely install racing seats, harness, cage, GT3 control arms etc -- if money is no object. Poor man's GT2RS I guess. Numbers would rack up quickly though.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:18 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
LOL, you boys are gonna get schooled at the track one day. Racing your magazine articles....<tsk>

Here's a true story. I was Instructing at a HPDE event at Summit Point, Shenandoah Circuit. Two guys I didn't know pulled up in their trailered GT3's all set up for track work with sticky tires, livery, HANS devices and Sparco color-coded racing suits. They were instructors, too. The brought some serious hardware to play with, and i made a mental note to give them room during the Instructor session and watch my mirrors - they were likely to barnstorm the entire Instructor cadre and there was no point in hindering them. Frankly, i thought their cars would be far too fast to run with the rest of the Instructors.

By the third lap of the first Instructor session I passed them both and they never caught up . My car at the time was a 100% stock Boxster S on street tires. And that Boxster never broke.
Yeah the more gear/money than skill cliche always shows up (also in other sports too, all the time). There is a super well prepped red GTS I ran into a few times in my run groups - huge wing, all the aero in the world, cage, seats, harnesses, no interior, looks to have serious suspension & engine work done, runs slicks. The slowest guy ever though somehow, almost lapped the guy a few times. Several GT3 RSs in higher run groups, they look menacing, but my buddies who are running regular 981 Caymans told me they were kind of slow, who knew.

Every now and then though the people w gear also happen to have skill, and then it's no contest - as you've kind of expected in the beginning I guess, when you made that mental note. I'm not sure what's up w this negative correlation of gear and skill though. It must be related to how the more "real" guys build their skills the hard way, learn their way through tracking air cooled cars/944s etc me thinks.

I'm surprised you can run street tire in instructor run group btw. Congrats on holding that frontier. I did a few passenger rides w instructors and in our region it seems like you'd have a tough time without Hoosiers. People were hauling.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:32 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 331 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by paxton
I'll play!

Attachment 1243331
Love the ball reflection in the glass table top. Pretty much summarizing what this thread had turned into.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:37 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Love the ball reflection in the glass table top. Pretty much summarizing what this thread had turned into.
/\ that!!
Old 08-20-2017, 01:42 PM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Received 455 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Aha, good catch!
Old 08-20-2017, 01:59 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

Camaros, Corvettes and Cadillacs. Ugh, officially the dumb troll thread now I am bowing out.

It is clear the .2 cars have brought out the "most hp wins" crowd. Sad but change is inevitable.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:59 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
It is clear the .2 cars have brought out the "most hp wins" crowd. Sad but change is inevitable.
The good news is, eventually as newer cars come out those people will move on and we'll be left with people who appreciate the .2 for the things that are really worth talking about like the suspension updates.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:01 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Camaros, Corvettes and Cadillacs. Ugh, officially the dumb troll thread now I am bowing out.

Eventually, it's the "most torque wins" and the electric crowd will be rejoicing.
Inevitable, time marches on.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:02 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by paxton
I'll play!

Attachment 1243331
Love that dog.

To all you folks with the real serious attitudes of .1 vs .2, when the dogs come out- I think we're done. For the record- this .2 owner could have gone either way. Just how the cards were dealt and I'm happy with how it turned out.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:03 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
The good news is, eventually as newer cars come out those people will move on and we'll be left with people who appreciate the .2 for the things that are really worth talking about like the suspension updates.
Agreed on suspension. I'd take my previous .1 engine and happily drop it into my .2. Thank you very much.

Last edited by Boulder Mike; 08-20-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-20-2017, 04:58 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
Let's put this to rest.... if the turbo platform was so magical, then why is the new GT3 an in house 4.0 naturally aspirated engine? An in house move to make a limited production engine is very expensive. We've discussed how "easy" it is to make GT3 level power with the 3.0 turbo engine. Why wouldn't Porsche just do that? It would be cheaper and have way more torque.

Stop bench racing and get out to drive your car. People on this forum aren't impressed with how new yourcar is. If you like the turbo - get it. If you like to drive get the 991.1.

Originally Posted by sticky
The 991.1 3.4 and 3.8 are not GT engines. If any of you guys actually believed in your 'sound' and 'response' nonsense you would have a new GT3 which is the best execution of the naturally aspirated flat-6 ever built.

You don't. There's a reason for that.
You're missing the whole point of the GT cars and Porsche's in general. The majority of Porsche owners don't care about drag racing so drag racing stats mean nothing.... although the sub 4 sec 0-60 in the "underpowered" 991.1 is still competitive...

The point I was making is that while we all agree power is more easily made and readily available - there are reasons Porsche spent so much $$$ on a low torque, high revving, naturally aspirated engine on the new GT3. If everything about the turbo platform was so superior and cut and dry then you'd also see a boosted GT3. Cause boost is faster - right? So why not make the Gt3 faster if magazine stats were all anyone cared about.

Nobody thinks their non GT3 is a GT car nor have they ever stated such a thing.

Also - I'd rather drive an S2000 than a new mustang - the mustang is clearly faster.

Lastly - There is a reason that Miata's are the #1 most raced cars in the world.... it's not because they are really fast 0-60.

Quick Reply: Any regrets upgrading from NA to Turbo