Sponsored by: Road Spy

Gixxer's Turbo RS build

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 10:10 AM
Gixxerboy63
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SocalTouring
Looking forward to seeing the gt3 and rs wheel combo fitted with tires. Are you going 255/325?
Currently researching tires.
My first consideration was Michelin Cup2 tires in 265/35/20 fronts and 325/30/20 rears... but I am currently discussing options with another forum member who happens to be an engineer with extensive tire and suspension knowledge with a 991 Turbo (he also has owned a GT3 RS and a GT2 RS). We are considering suspension changes as well. The goal is to meet or exceed 991.2 GT3RS levels in terms of crisp handling, grip and steering feedback.

Last edited by Gixxerboy63; 03-24-2020 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:41 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Nope

Originally Posted by Gixxerboy63
My first consideration was Michelin Cup2 tires in 265/35/20 fronts and 325/30/20 rears... but I am currently discussing options with another forum member who happens to be an engineer with extensive tire and suspension knowledge with a 991 Turbo (he also has owned a GT3 RS and a GT2 RS). We are considering suspension changes as well. The goal is to meet or exceed 991.2 GT3RS levels in terms of crisp handling, grip and steering feedback.

nope, you cannot get GT2 RS handling in a TTS no matter what you do because that car weighs 500 lbs less...and it’s not all wheel drive which affords different suspension geometries that you simply cannot achieve with AWD...I went down that rabbit whole...

my advice...Lowe it on Techart Springs, do those Cup 2 Sizes...and enjoy...when you actually get to drive your car in Sport Plus mode I promise you will enjoy the stunningly crisp handing

if you must do more alterations on the Suspemsion then Bilstein makes a badass setup that still allows for computer control while lowering and stiffening.

but remember...this car is literally almost perfection as set up after 70 years of tinkering by Porsche....it shockingly well balanced between just the right amount of comfort mixed with a degree of traction and road feel that you’ll never reach its limits as a none professional race car driver....lowered on slightly stiffer springs with those Cup 2’s was perfect for my tastes but I daily drive mine and track 3 to 6 times a year....the car is was more capable than I am driver and I’m not such a bad driver....the car as set up is capable of much faster lap times than I will ever get out of it lol...that’s true with most people.

my strong advice is to do the visual mods, then do the cup 2’s on Techart Springs..drive that for a month after you get it out of the shop and then if you aren’t completely happy start tinkering more with the suspension.
The following users liked this post:
Gixxerboy63 (04-01-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 03:43 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Gixxerboy

285's won't fit on the fronts. They are several ways on going regarding suspension (i have pretty much done all of them).

1- First started with lowering springs and DSC Box. (this worked well and was an improvement from stock)
2- Then went and change all of the control arms, added camber, camber plates, solid bushings etc. (this made the handling worse in my opinion) Simialr times but very twitchy
3- Through everything away and went with
a) Front 991 GT3 Cup Lower Control Arms from Porsche Motorsports
b) Added axle spacers from TPC Racing (this allows you to add camber by widening the wheel base rather than just pulling the wheel in with camber plates)
c) ALL Bushings are solid. No rubber
d) Front and Rear sway bar from TPC
e) Tractive Shocks with Eibach Springs. (works flawlessly with DSC) (I'm running more aero so went with a higher spring rate)
f) Front and Rear Toe Links
g) Went back to ALL stock control arms other than front as mentioned and solid bushings (including rear active steering control arm)

Setup is huge. All my previous shops tried lowering the car like a 3RS. This screws all of the suspension geometry. Still lower than stock but probably less than with lowering springs. TPC raised the car quite a bit, running tons of caster and -2.7 front and -2.8 rear on street tires, -2.9 front and -3 rear slicks.

I'm running faster times than very well driven 3RS's around Sebring with similar if not lower speeds on the straights (have had some issues on engine setup and heat soak) and faster than any other 2RS out there (but this might just be do to driver so hard to tell). Sebring is not a tack where the Turbo shines like PBIR. This says a lot about how well the setup in working. Car needs to be driven different than a 3RS or 2RS. Pretty simple the 2RS and 3RS are lighter and 2 wheel drive. I can send you data if you want. I'm hitting 2G peak with 1.6G sustained both cornering and breaking.

Another huge upgrade on the car, was the brakes. I'm breaking at the same spots and in certain cases of not further than a 3RS with carbon ceramic brakes (A LOT lighter). I upgraded to PFC brakes (same as a cup car).

Hope this helps. Regarding tires i like:

- Street Tires P -Zero
- Street / Track: Trofeo R by far the best. Dunlop's are really good but they do not come on our sizes (21" rear)
- Track only: Pirelli Slicks 275/680DH and 315/705DH You can by scrubs for $600 a set of four and last you two days with similar performance if not better than a brand new set of trofeo R and much more consistent.

The following 3 users liked this post by Pdtp#16:
Gixxerboy63 (04-01-2020), mr965 (07-23-2020), SocalTouring (03-25-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 04:17 PM
Gixxerboy63
Racer

Hey steven3137, pdtp-16
Thank you for chiming in with your experience and input. I can’t even pretend that I can drive my car anywhere near it’s capibilities, even in stock form, but I have driven an GT3 and have noticed the difference in ”feel” and I LIKE it! I am/was planning on running 265 fronts, not 285.... but your responses are very helpful.

I’m currently running 21”, but my RS fronts /GT3 rears are a 20” setup with H&R springs (PASM active).

Last edited by Gixxerboy63; 03-24-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Steven31371 (03-24-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 04:55 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Hey steven3137, pdtp-16
Thank you for your input. I can’t even pretend that I can drive my car anywhere near it’s capibilities, even in stock form, but I have driven an GT3 and have noticed the difference in ”feel” and I LIKE it! I am/was planning on running 265 fronts, not 285.... but your responses are very helpful.

I’m currently running 21”, but my RS fronts /GT3 rears are a 20” setup with H&R springs (PASM active).

typos corrected

that FEEL that your talking about comes mostly from the much lighter weight and slightly better steering rates...you don’t feel a lot of the suspension geometry improvements until you reach close to the absolute limit of these cars which you will rarely if ever reach on the street and maybe not on the track if you aren’t an every weekend track rat....and nothing you do is gunna reduce your car weight to GT RS levels and still leave the car livable...but what you will do if your not careful is make the car far less comfortable and so darty that you actually drive slower

unless your a real at the limits track rat what makes you drive faster is increased CONFIDENCE...and Porsche is maybe the best in the world at tuning the suspension in such a way that the average Joe feels more confident about driving faster. The Nissan GTR guys did that brilliantly too....tweek it a bit but trust me, unless you plan to track several times a month you will likely mess with it so much that you increase ultimate grip at the absolute limits of grip, but then you will be ever further away from ever reaching those limits in real life driving because you made the car feel scarier and less confidence inspiring.

if a car’s limit is 8 and you are confident enough to drive it at 7....your faster than if your car’s limit is 10 but you are only confident enough to drive it 6.

i get it man, it’s just nice knowing it can do 10 even if you can only drive it at 6...but that’s kinda the mindset of guys who have garage queen cars and don’t actually drive and enjoy them...Porsche’s, unlike many other Super Cars are meant to be driven daily and thoroughly enjoyed...and wow if Porsche didn’t get THAT recipe nearly perfect.

your money will be better spent in doing full bolt on and tuning upgrades for more power imo....or even going all out with upgraded turbos single mass flywheels etc....for street driving that extra HP and Torque combined with how well these cars already put the power to the ground and handle on canyon runs is way more thrill for the buck

Last edited by Steven31371; 03-24-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Gixxerboy63 (04-01-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 06:46 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Originally Posted by Steven31371
that FEEL that your talking about comes mostly from the much lighter weight and slightly better steering rates...you don’t feel a lot of the suspension geometry improvements until you reach close to the absolute limit of these cars which you will rarely if ever reach on the street and maybe not on the track if you aren’t an every weekend track rat....and nothing you do is gunna reduce your car weight to GT RS levels and still leave the car livable...but what you will do it your not careful is make the car far less comfortable and so darty that you actually drive slower

unless your a real at the limits track rat what makes you drive faster is increased CONFIDENCE...and Porsche is maybe the best in the world at tuning the suspension in such a way that the average Joe feels more confident about driving a bit faster. The Nissan GTR guys did that brilliantly too....tweek it a bit but trust me, unless you plan to track several times a month you will likely mess with it so much that you increase ultimate grip at the absolute limits the car car run around but then you will be ever further away from ever reaching those limits in real life driving because you made the car feel scarier and less confidence inspiring.

if a car’s limit isn’t 8 and you are confident enough to drive it at 7....your faster than if your car’s limit is 10 but you are only confident enough to drive it 6.

i get it man, it’s just nice knowing it can do 10 even if you can only drive it at 6...but that’s kinda the mindset of guys who have garage queen cars and don’t actually drive and enjoy them...Porsche’s, unlike many Super Cars are meant to be driven daily and thoroughly enjoyed...and wow if Porsche didn’t get THAT recipe nearly perfect.

you money will be better spent in doing full bolt on and tuning upgrades for more power imo....or even going all out with upgraded turbos single mass flywheels....for street driving that extra HP and Torque combined with how well these cars already put the power to the ground and handle on canyon runs is way more thrill for the buck
If you are not seriously tracking, i would agree with this 100%. As i mentioned on my previous post, i spent quite a bit of money buying aftermarket suspensions and setting the car like a 3RS only to make the car twitchy and darty. With that said, while my car is comfortable on the street, my suspensions and aliment setup is not how i would set it up for street driving even spirited driving.

i also agree that the you will not get the FEEL of the 3RS. Just different car, weight, better suspension geometry, spring rates, etc as mentioned here. Stephen i also agree 100000% regarding the confidence factor. This is one of the main reason i stuck with the turbo and did not switch (probably the main). With what i have spent i could have bought a 2RS. But having owned many race cars and high performance cars, some that where scary on the track, what i like most about my car is how confident i am on it. The last two cars i tracked where notorious for snap oversteer under breaking. Took all my confidence away. Ultimately it this is a personal thing for every driver.

Also agree that unless you are seriously / mainly tracking this car, the modifications above would be a waste and probably not desirable for street driving. Better spend those $$ on good engine mods, safety. Specially since lowering springs and DSC box do a very good.

The following 2 users liked this post by Pdtp#16:
Gixxerboy63 (04-01-2020), Steven31371 (03-24-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 02:35 PM
Gixxerboy63
Racer

Default Suspension upgrades

Hey steven3137, pdtp-16
Thanks again for sharing!

Since my engineering background is limited, I have to rely on feedback and advice from the experiences of others who have already gone down the rabbit hole. I do want to improve the "Feel", but the last thing I want to do is go backwards and make my car feel twitchy and less confidence inspiring!
My H&R ride height may be too aggressive, especially since adding the RS front spoiler lip, so I am considering an H.A.S. Kit (It would be really cool if I could also incorporate an aftermarket front end lift for areas where my angling skills aren't enough to overcome excessive speed bumps and driveway transitions). The H.A.S. kit would also allow for ride height adjustment, corner balancing and I would still be able to maintain the advantage of the PASM system, which I think is a no-brainer.

I think you may have already covered this, but should I still consider switching to solid bushings, camber plates and GT3 front control arms
....or is this what made the car feel twitchy?

Last edited by Gixxerboy63; 03-28-2020 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 01:09 AM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Hey steven3137, pdtp-16
Thanks again for sharing!

Since my engineering background is limited, I have to rely on feedback and advice from the experiences of others who have already gone down the rabbit hole. I do want to improve the "Feel", but the last thing I want to do is go backwards and make my car feel twitchy and less confidence inspiring!
My H&R ride height may be too aggressive, especially since adding the RS front spoiler lip, so I am considering an H.A.S. Kit (It would be really cool if I could also incorporate an aftermarket front end lift for areas where my angling skills aren't enough to overcome excessive speed bumps and driveway transitions). The H.A.S. kit would also allow for ride height adjustment, corner balancing and I would still be able to maintain the advantage of the PASM system, which I think is a no-brainer.

I think you may have already covered this, but should I still consider switching to solid bushings, camber plates and GT3 front control arms
....or is this what made the car feel twitchy?
My personal opinion::

- since it looks unlikely that you will be using slicks, i would not bother with camber plates. You can get enough camber from your stock setup for street tires
- If you the GT3 lower control arm it will allow you to widen the front suspension (which helps a a lot) If you do so, make sure you get some axle spacers. The worst thing you want to do is widen the front suspension and then create issues with your front axles. You can get these from TPC or Tarett Engineering
- As far as changing all of your bushings to solid they help a lot but you will probably not notice the difference unless your are really pushing very hard. Very unlikely you will achieve this on the street. At least on a safely manner.
- Regarding springs / shocks, i believe A/S here in the forums had a pretty good setup of a combination of adjustable springs over stock shocks similar to the HAS. You might want to reach out to him. Otherwise you can go with a pair of KW's that work with your PASM (i have no experience with them) or if budget is not a problem the Tractive Coil Overs with the DSC Combo are off the charts. Also you will get custom maps from Mike who has been racing his car in the Optima challenge but still his daily driver.

The most important factor here than a lot of this aftermarket parts is having a shop that sets your car right. A stock properly setup car will handle much better than one with a bunch of aftermarket parts but setup incorrectly. These cars need to be setup differently than a 3RS or a 2RS. In my experience in the past, several very reputable companies, tried to setup my car like a 3RS and it made it worst. Unfortunately there are not a lot of us tracking these cars, therefore the shops do not have that much experience with them and setting it up as such (so you can't blame them). I would reach out to Tom and or Mike at TPC they are always very helpful. Also the guys at Orbit down in FL now work on my car and can tell you what has worked and what has not.

Either way good luck she will be a beauty once complete. Keep us posted on your process

Gixxerboy63 (04-01-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 09:22 AM
Gixxerboy63
Racer

Thanks Pdtp#16
I acquired my Kline Inconel from A/S and have been speaking with him about his suspension setup, which is what I have been considering all along. He seems to have it worked out to meet to my objectives.

The other consideration is simply installing a set of Techarts. Many Porsche owners swear by them... not as low as my H&Rs (which would likely help me), but still no adjustability.

Suspension modifications beyond lowering springs is largely unknown territory for me. I have experienced first hand how a well known shop installed and setup KW coilovers on a vehicle to only make it handle worse! The vehicle was so sloppy after the setup that it felt like I was driving around in a bowl of soup! It was apparent that they had no clue and the car was not very confidence inspiring to say the least.

Decisions
🤔

Old 03-31-2020, 02:32 PM
Gixxerboy63
Racer

Default Naked Pictures!!! 😳

fully exposed for all to see... 😂

The following 4 users liked this post by Gixxerboy63:
Agentorange (05-20-2020), Steven31371 (03-31-2020), tourenwagen (09-20-2022), wawrecker (04-04-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 02:35 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,478 Likes on 793 Posts

nice
Gixxerboy63 (04-01-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 02:50 PM
Steven31371
Pro

😂😂😂 Mod **** LoL

Gixxerboy63 (04-01-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 03:04 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,025 Likes on 3,062 Posts

On its way to being a post apocalyptic battle wagon...
Gixxerboy63 (04-01-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 07:39 PM
jsbihn
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Damn brother, I actually like it like this.
I know the finished product is going to look awesome, but this is something else too

Old 04-12-2020, 12:06 PM
Gixxerboy63
Racer

Making a little progress....

Steven31371 (04-12-2020)

Quick Reply: Gixxer's Turbo RS build