Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 12:28 PM
IainC
Track Day

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you mean for wireless android auto, or just generally via bluetooth? If the former, not possible without buying an adaptor (my activation is for wired connection). If it's a general connection issue via BT, there is a known issue for S22's (not just for the connection to the car), but Samsung claim this is fixed with the latest software update
Old 06-05-2022, 12:41 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,025 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Just generally, when I first got the phone it would connect wirelessly and play music, but now, it will only connect the phone and no music...

As far as I can tell, nothing changed with my phone, but repeatedly re paring it has not helped.
Old 06-05-2022, 12:49 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 653 Posts
Default Yes!

Originally Posted by IainC
Today's action: enabled android auto (dead easy as it turns out) and updated the maps to the 2022 versions on my 991.2 2017 TT. If anyone wants any pointers on how to do this, I'd be happy to help (no $ involved!)
Do tell! Would like to get android auto working (wired connection is great) and with updated maps too!
Old 06-05-2022, 07:52 PM
IainC
Track Day

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
Do tell! Would like to get android auto working (wired connection is great) and with updated maps too!
OK, the short version first. There is a software tool called MIB (https://mibsolution.one/wl/?id=ct7tZ...YYGa&mode=list), which is (1) free (so don't let anyone charge you for using it) and (2) seemingly a bit daunting but actually quite easy to use. You can install the software on an SD card and then use this to 'patch' your PCM4.

I would be happy to provide a step-by-step if people are interested in this (maybe in a new thread?). Having spent the last month to-ing and fro-ing with Porsche Germany to get my maps updated, I ended up doing it all myself (and got Android Auto along the way), so would be happy sharing my experience. I have no vested interest here, but the many threads, guides, links and dead-ends deserve a somewhat more consolidated approach.

In short, download the MIB software, download the MIB patches, get yourself a suitable SD card, and identify the exact version of the software you currently running in your car (something starting with MHI2). Once you have those files and info, you can create an SD card to enable android auto, unlimited map updates, in-car WLAN and many more things.

As above, I am happy to provide some detailed guidance if there's a call for it (there are tons of instructions on other forums, but I ended up following about 10 different guides to actually succeed). I'll spend some time consolidating a guide if folks think this would be helpful
Old 06-05-2022, 08:14 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 653 Posts
Default Wow!

OK, the short version first. There is a software tool called MIB (https://mibsolution.one/wl/?id=ct7tZ...YYGa&mode=list), which is (1) free (so don't let anyone charge you for using it) and (2) seemingly a bit daunting but actually quite easy to use. You can install the software on an SD card and then use this to 'patch' your PCM4.

I would be happy to provide a step-by-step if people are interested in this (maybe in a new thread?). Having spent the last month to-ing and fro-ing with Porsche Germany to get my maps updated, I ended up doing it all myself (and got Android Auto along the way), so would be happy sharing my experience. I have no vested interest here, but the many threads, guides, links and dead-ends deserve a somewhat more consolidated approach.

In short, download the MIB software, download the MIB patches, get yourself a suitable SD card, and identify the exact version of the software you currently running in your car (something starting with MHI2). Once you have those files and info, you can create an SD card to enable android auto, unlimited map updates, in-car WLAN and many more things.

As above, I am happy to provide some detailed guidance if there's a call for it (there are tons of instructions on other forums, but I ended up following about 10 different guides to actually succeed). I'll spend some time consolidating a guide if folks think this would be helpful
I think a consolidated guide would be a tremendous public service!
Old 06-05-2022, 08:30 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I also think this should be a dedicated thread, there have been others that have had issues, so if you'd be so inclined, I am sure everyone would appreciate it.

Cheers,
Old 06-06-2022, 04:30 AM
IainC
Track Day

Thanks for replies- I will compile a guide and try to post by the end of the week
The following users liked this post:
21forever (06-06-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 05:04 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just reached out to Tom at TPC to find out where my DSC is, and what is wrong with it...

Old 06-06-2022, 05:13 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Another great drive last Wednesday.

The following 3 users liked this post by Big Swole:
damage98MO (08-14-2022), Nikolov (06-07-2022), rodsky (06-07-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 04:16 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,053 Posts

After action report and BDA.

After 2200 miles

A teaspoon or two of oil accumulated in the "catch can hose." So, it would appear that "filling" the right-side turbo output hose with oil after 20k-miles may be "normal." For, now, I'm going to just add draining that hose to my yearly maintenance list.

In other news DDG won the "Best Modified 928 Award."

But, she also collected a bumper cover crease in the hotel parking lot between 13:15 and 14:45 on Friday. Not due to any of the attendees. No dash cam. No security cams in back of hotel parking lot. Sucks, but I'm glad it wasn't one of my 928s.

Last edited by worf928; 06-08-2022 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:45 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Congrats on the win; body pain is horrid... hopefully not to bad to fix.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:59 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
But, she also collected a bumper cover crease in the hotel parking lot between 13:15 and 14:45 on Friday. Not due to any of the attendees. No dash cam. No security cams in back of hotel parking lot. Sucks, but I'm glad it wasn't one of my 928s.
Mine had a bumper cover gash under its previous owner. He saw it and was able to get the perpetrator to admit guilt and filea claim against the other guy's insurance claim for a new one.
The other guy's insurance paid, and the replacement and paint are perfect and undetectable. No damage is visible under the bumper.
But because of a police report and insurance claim, my Turbo has a dirty mark on its Carfax for life now. 🤨
So I recommend that you or anybody else in a similar situation pay out of your own pocket rather than make a claim like this for a cosmetic repair.

Last edited by PCA1983; 06-09-2022 at 07:07 PM.
Old 06-10-2022, 10:17 AM
IainC
Track Day

Thanks for replies- I will compile a guide and try to post by the end of the week
Post made for AA activation. Hope it works for everyone!
The following users liked this post:
Pb Pedis (06-10-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 12:04 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
… the replacement and paint are perfect and undetectable. No damage is visible under the bumper.
I have prior experience with the Porsche Certified Body Shop in the Beantown area. They will fix it perfectly.

But because of a police report and insurance claim, my Turbo has a dirty mark on its Carfax for life now. 🤨
As far as private party sales are concerned, before, under, during, and after pictures of minor damage like this will result in no, or very-minimal diminished value.

So I recommend that you or anybody else in a similar situation pay out of your own pocket rather than make a claim like this for a cosmetic repair.
As for insurance… if the body shop can match without blending then the repair will be lower than my $2k deductible. However, if they must blend, then they have to do the hood and fender. That means PPF comes off and then has to be put on, and the front re-ceramic coated. That will result in $5k total minimum. I don’t care about the carfax. I have zero plans to sell DDG. I don’t car about the repair dollars. I’m p1$$ed about the time I’m going to have to sink into this. I may remove and disassemble the front cover(*) myself because of the pneumatics. And then there’s the principle of the insurance company getting my premium money for nothing. If I could do a $5k or $10k deductible I’d do it. The $2k deductible pays for itself in under two years.

In either case DDG’s off the road for months while the paint cures before PPF is reapplied.

(*) One reason I’m glad it wasn’t a 928: It takes many hours to R&R the cover and as far as I can tell no body shop in the world has ever done that job correctly on a 928…
Old 06-10-2022, 01:41 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 574 Posts

Dave - does it really take months for the paint to cure? What does DDG stand for? Sucks - why don't you fix it over the winter so keeping her off the road isn't as painful?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?