Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 01:41 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,025 Likes on 3,062 Posts

I used that sexy type of passive aero on my STi and ultimately removed it because the car was never really constantly driven at a speed where it would be useful, versus the agro associated with it when simply trying to change the oil.

On a TTS, it would seem most of the upset air would be coming off the engine...

In less than ten seconds you car was running what, 145mph...? Then, you lifted.

If you're not running those speeds in a sustained manner you may just be adding weight....
Old 12-07-2020, 01:42 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
And, the odd child...

The small neighborhood children have learned to scatter to avoid the 3 foot flames that shoot out the back end of the car 😈
Old 12-07-2020, 01:47 AM
Steven31371
Pro

I used that sexy type of passive aero on my STi and ultimately removed it because the car was never really constantly driven at a speed where it would be useful, versus the agro associated with it when simply trying to change the oil.

On a TTS, it would seem most of the upset air would be coming off the engine...

In less than ten seconds you car was running what, 145mph...? Then, you lifted.

If you're not running those speeds in a sustained manner you may just be adding weight....
I’m mostly doing it to maintain stability at high speeds ...I love that this car can brake from 180 mph no problem and stays stable at those speeds....and I’m going to go 200 mph in it so for safety maintaining that stability is a must for me...at that airstrip speed event I saw too many cars that just seemed nuts to be running at those speeds because they weren’t built for it the way Porsche’s are...and I’m not re-inventing the wheel on all of Porsche’s millions of dollars on aero research, I’m basically taking what they use on their other cars and homolgating it onto mine

and I’m removing the mechanical rear wing so I need to replace that down force too.

Last edited by Steven31371; 12-07-2020 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 03:11 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Originally Posted by rodsky
So as you can see above - had a few things done. Oh my what a difference - obviously i have new tires, DSC and new wheels so I am not sure how much of the difference is attributable to each individual component, but the ride and handling is a transformational difference. I drove home up the 405 and ordinarily even in normal suspension mode the ride is a bit jarring on the uneven surface. With DSC and the other new stuff - it just soaks up the bumps - just so much better. Sorry, I am not a car journalist but the ride is a pretty big difference from before. My old tires are still in good shape - so i don't believe that the tires were the bulk of the difference. I'd have to go the DSC the credit. Drove around on winding roads too and i am very happy with where the car is at right now. Obviously i am very happy with the HRE's - I personally think they look good and saved a little weight. And finally the Carbonlution vents - a little bling- actually fit well and look decent.

So after doing these mods - I am really enjoying the car that much more. I was starting to get car ADD and started to think about the 992 TT/S. I am now thinking that this car is almost perfect as a DD / sporty cab / all arounder. With the extra power and TQ, its a medium-beast. There could be more power to be had but for right now 600+HP/TQ is a big difference from stock. Plus with DSC and wheels - the ride / handling is up a level. I have the Burm - I am set for now. Maybe the 992 will have to wait - we shall see.

And a big shout out and thanks to Sambo TT, ByDesign and the guys at World. Sam met me there and the job was done while we chatted about car stuff. Outstanding service and just a great group of guys. Responsive and no pressure and at your fingertips should you need it. Saw some other fun projects in progress at the shop to include an XR build a GT3RS a 2009 manual 997 Turbo etc. Kinda like Disneyland for Porsche guys.

Anyways, I'm a happy camper.
a good tune, that DSC, some Techart Springs, some nice wheels, and an exhaust upgrade is all you need to make an already nearly perfect car perfect on these things. The Techart are debatable but they firm up the handling without compromising the ride and go really well as a compliment to the DSC.

Those 4 mods transform the car, really wake it up and you really don’t need anything more than that.

Visually I’d through in the RS side skirts as a cheap mod that makes a huge difference visually.

If I didn’t have an addiction to just absurd speeds I would have very happily stopped at those 4 or 5 mods and been happy with the car forever lol

Last edited by Steven31371; 12-07-2020 at 03:19 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steven31371:
Big Swole (12-07-2020), rodsky (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 11:28 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steven31371
I’m mostly doing it to maintain stability at high speeds ...I love that this car can brake from 180 mph no problem and stays stable at those speeds....and I’m going to go 200 mph in it so for safety maintaining that stability is a must for me...at that airstrip speed event I saw too many cars that just seemed nuts to be running at those speeds because they weren’t built for it the way Porsche’s are...and I’m not re-inventing the wheel on all of Porsche’s millions of dollars on aero research, I’m basically taking what they use on their other cars and homolgating it onto mine

and I’m removing the mechanical rear wing so I need to replace that down force too.
Sorry, I forgot you had access to runways and the ability to hit 200+ mph...

Do you find at speeds of 180+ the car becomes unstable? You think that is the cabrio effect?
Old 12-07-2020, 11:48 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Sorry, I forgot you had access to runways and the ability to hit 200+ mph...

Do you find at speeds of 180+ the car becomes unstable? You think that is the cabrio effect?
no not if the tires are inflated properly. So far it remains stable at every speed I’ve had it at.

but to hit 200 mph in a cabriolet in a 1/2 mile is so hard that no one has actually done it yet that I know of...high 190’s yes, but 200 is hard...the last few mph it’s like your trying to push the car through molasses

So I have to make the car as slippery as possibly to compensate for the extra 300 pounds and aero drag from the rag top. Meaning I have to remove some of the aero that came with the car that gives the car it’s amazing stability at very high speeds.

So in order to recoup some of the stability we may be losing from shedding aero on top of the car I’m adding some aero underneath instead....it’s a trick that Ferrari has been doing for years...take the aero off from on top of the car where it causes more drag abs put it underneath the car instead...that’s why you don’t see big wings on Ferraris
Old 12-07-2020, 11:51 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

A hardtop may help, albeit a little heavier - I can only imagine the noise of the soft top at speed, you'd probably pick up a little slipperiness as well.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:00 PM
Steven31371
Pro

A hardtop may help, albeit a little heavier - I can only imagine the noise of the soft top at speed, you'd probably pick up a little slipperiness as well.

i thought about that, and it’s not like there are ‘Class Rules’ for Cabriolets lol...a hardtop would be a lot lighter and slippier than the rag top....

but honestly I think for me and my goals that would be cheating ...I want to build a 200 mph true daily driver where the only thing different on it when I get to the track versus how it’s driven everyday as a daily driver is a bolt in bar for safety on track days.

I want to drive to the event, pull off the highway onto the airstrip, go 200 mph just as I drive it there and every other day, then drive it home lol

poor Sam,I’m asking him to pull off an engineering feat that no one has ever done before lol

Easy to put crazy tunes on these cars where they get down the track with a huge trap speed but would brake if you ran it like that every day...or replace the cars factory ECU with a new system that eliminates all the modern Porsche software that makes it a Porsche and essentially turn it into an 80’s garage built hot rod from a software perspective.

But to keep it a Porsche with almost all the functionality, bells, and whistles it came with from the factory and go straight from the highway to the track and do 200 mph then drive home...to literally be driving comfortable around town or to work everyday in a 200 mph 1/2 mile reliable car...I’m not sure it’s ever been done, in a Cabriolet anyway.

Last edited by Steven31371; 12-07-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 12-07-2020, 01:37 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think the beauty of the 911 has always been, 'race on Sunday, drive to work Monday...' (Although I believe that adage was applied to another marque...)

Think of adding a lightweight hardtop as a safety measure more so than cheating - it would be most unpleasant for the fabric roof to come apart at speed, going with a hard top removes that risk.

Or, go real hairy chested and don't run with a roof at all... some years ago, I had a girlfriend that had a VW Cabriolet. I took it apart (could not restrain myself...) and when I put it back together, it would go 200km/h, with the roof down...
Old 12-07-2020, 02:25 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Bummer. You just pushed me into a winter project. Looks great !
It won't be a substantial one; I had the whole thing done in about half an hour, with no damage!
Old 12-07-2020, 02:29 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,324 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven31371
I want to drive to the event, pull off the highway onto the airstrip, go 200 mph just as I drive it there and every other day, then drive it home lol

Hey brother.... Let me just say, PLEASE be careful and take all precautions you can. Have you see the vid of the guy in the GTR that lost control and died (mentioned in that Pissing Match thread you are in with some of the haters). ?????
I have the vid if you haven't seen it. Not to brag but to just give you a reality check on what can happen (not that you don't know of course).

It's not pretty and from a friend of mine that raced with him (Did 241+ mph in ha E-gear record holding Gallardo), it wasn't pretty...

Rolling at those speeds, a "BAR" / "CAGE" isn't going to help...

Chase your dreams and records, but be safe brother!!

David

Old 12-07-2020, 02:31 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That sounds very unpleasant.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:33 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

That sounds very unpleasant.

Head still in helmet, many many many yards away from the scene.

Tragic!
Old 12-07-2020, 04:04 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Head still in helmet, many many many yards away from the scene.

Tragic!

no I haven’t seen it...don’t want to...seen enough of that stuff in real life for a lifetime....did he have a HANS device?

in my road course days I only ever spun off the course one time, abs that’s because if suspension issue not from pushing it, I’ve always built speed slowly and cautiously rather than cross the line to find the line then dial it back.

in any case...almost every 5 mph above 195 changes the physics of the whole situation.

so far at around 180 things feel very under control in this car...I’ll just keep adding 5 mph until one if three things happen...

1. I feel unsafe or it gets sketchy at any of those 5 mph increments.

2. I touch 200 mph in the half

3. It just gets too hard to do in this car technically.

but no matter how you do it, it’s always going to be what I call a low risk but high consequence activity.

meaning we can make it statistically a very low risk activity, but it has extremely high consequences if things go sideways beyond a certain speed

i have a fire suite, a 6 point bar being made to supplement the built in rollover protection and airbags etc...fire extinguishers within reach at several locations, a belt cutting tool, helmet and 6 point harness, and a HANS device

Last edited by Steven31371; 12-07-2020 at 04:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 04:08 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

All good man... Just wanted you to know I / we care,...

Have fun out there.
The following users liked this post:
Steven31371 (12-07-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?