Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

What did you do to your 991 turbo today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 01:46 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,025 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Only a short drive today, but it was very fruitful...

Some years ago, when oil and gas development was going full bore up in the Beaufort, we had some guys working out of a camp. One day, when the cook was preparing lunch, he heard a knock at the back door so he went to open the door and have a look. A polar bear was sitting on the roof of the ATCO, so when the cook came outside, the bear took his head off and then proceeded to eat him, and everything it could get its hands (paws) on.

When the local guys caught up with the bear and killed it, they opened up the bear to get the cooks remains out and when they found his arm, his Rolex Submariner was still attached, working and keeping accurate time...

I thought it would have made a good ad 'Forget about Timex and that it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' - buy a Rolex and when you get eaten by a bear, have no fear your watch will survive...' The suggestion was not well received.

Nice watch, though.

Last edited by 2fcknfst; 10-13-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:15 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Some years ago, when oil and gas development was going full bore up in the Beaufort, we had some guys working out of a camp. One day, when the cook was preparing lunch, he heard a knock at the back door so he went to open the door and have a look. A polar bear was sitting on the roof of the ATCO, so when the cook came outside, the bear took his head off and then proceeded to eat him, and everything it could get its hands (paws) on.

When the local guys caught up with the bear and killed it, they opened up the bear to get the cooks remains out and when they found his arm, his Rolex Submariner was still attached, working and keeping accurate time...

I thought it would have made a good ad 'Forget about Timex and that it takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin' - buy a Rolex and when you get eaten by a bear, have no fear your watch will survive...' The suggestion was not well received.

Nice watch, though.
Lol... Well, not for the cook I guess.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:22 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 961 Likes on 586 Posts

Haha so many screen names, emails, texts and real names I’m getting there. Good to see you again.

Call stuff everyone!

Originally Posted by rodsky
Sam - I was wondering when you would figure it out

Can't wait for the wheels now that I finally pulled the trigger. Thanks for taking care of me and good to see you.

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 10-14-2020, 02:10 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
Lol... Well, not for the cook I guess.
No, not at all for the cook. Apparently, things like this happen regularly up there. A geologist was was way up north with a team and on the first day, they noticed a polar bear on the outer limits stalking them, by the next morning there were three, and by the afternoon there were enough that they called for the helicopter to pull them out - outnumbered, as it were. They, the bears, can smell food (and apparently people) from great distances, so they just hone in on the guys. At Diavik, and possibly other mines, they have active bear watches.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:28 PM
r00t61
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

No, not at all for the cook. Apparently, things like this happen regularly up there. A geologist was was way up north with a team and on the first day, they noticed a polar bear on the outer limits stalking them, by the next morning there were three, and by the afternoon there were enough that they called for the helicopter to pull them out - outnumbered, as it were. They, the bears, can smell food (and apparently people) from great distances, so they just hone in on the guys. At Diavik, and possibly other mines, they have active bear watches.
A polar bear can smell rotting meat up to 20 miles away.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:22 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by r00t61
A polar bear can smell rotting meat up to 20 miles away.
So, multiple bears, in different quadrants could effectively identify targets over a minimum of 63 sq/miles.

Clever Bears.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:50 PM
r00t61
Pro

Received 245 Likes on 154 Posts

So, multiple bears, in different quadrants could effectively identify targets over a minimum of 63 sq/miles.

Clever Bears.
It's a good thing that bears hate each other and hunt alone; otherwise they would conquer the earth and take our cars

The following users liked this post:
sullic (10-15-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 08:04 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

These guys seem to be working in a 'team environment'...

The following users liked this post:
sullic (10-15-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 08:12 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by WheelsB
For comparison's sake HRE R101 Lightweights made from aluminum come in at 17.2 lbs and 19.4 lbs respectively when spec'd in 20"x9" || 20"x11.5" sizing.

right on....how much are they at that size, what colors and offsets available....and most importantly for an apples to apples comparison on weight....how much is the ‘Track Spec’ version of the HRE Lightweights?

As you know, if you call in to HRE and tell them you intend to do some track days they will steer you away from the off the shelf HRE Liteweights into something that weighs just a bit more but offers more stiffness for improved handling.

In standard issue size, without a few extra ounces to add additional stiffness, the Litespeed Racing wheels come in at 16.8 pounds and 19.1 pounds....a bit less if not powder coated.

i was honestly willing to spend any amount of money to get the best wheel possible....was even shopping carbon fiber.

and I love the HRE R101 Lightweights, but they aren’t as stiff as the similar weight magnesium ones from Litespeed Racing, do not come in the offsets I wanted, and it didn’t hurt that these cost $10,000 less than the HRE’s.

Plenty of people are and will be very happy to buy wheels with the HRE tag on them, for $10,000 more, in a less stiff material, at limited offset options....they are in fact great wheels, and gorgeous...

Last edited by Steven31371; 10-14-2020 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:22 PM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven31371
right on....how much are they at that size, what colors and offsets available....and most importantly for an apples to apples comparison on weight....how much is the ‘Track Spec’ version of the HRE Lightweights?

As you know, if you call in to HRE and tell them you intend to do some track days they will steer you away from the off the shelf HRE Liteweights into something that weighs just a bit more but offers more stiffness for improved handling.

In standard issue size, without a few extra ounces to add additional stiffness, the Litespeed Racing wheels come in at 16.8 pounds and 19.1 pounds....a bit less if not powder coated.

i was honestly willing to spend any amount of money to get the best wheel possible....was even shopping carbon fiber.

and I love the HRE R101 Lightweights, but they aren’t as stiff as the similar weight magnesium ones from Litespeed Racing, do not come in the offsets I wanted, and it didn’t hurt that these cost $10,000 less than the HRE’s.

Plenty of people are and will be very happy to buy wheels with the HRE tag on them, for $10,000 more, in a less stiff material, at limited offset options....they are in fact great wheels, and gorgeous...
Litespeed is a cool wheel. Very light also. On my scales, my weights were : OEM front = 20.6 Lbs. OEM Rear = 25.4 Lbs F1R front = 17.4 Lbs . F1R rear = 20.6 Lbs
Old 10-15-2020, 12:11 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by onfireTTS
Litespeed is a cool wheel. Very light also. On my scales, my weights were : OEM front = 20.6 Lbs. OEM Rear = 25.4 Lbs F1R front = 17.4 Lbs . F1R rear = 20.6 Lbs
nice

what width are your FR1’s?
Old 10-15-2020, 12:25 AM
onfireTTS
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 857 Posts

nice

what width are your FR1’s?
OEM sizes.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:40 AM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 963 Likes on 483 Posts

All HRE R101 Lightweights are custom built to order. They can be manufactured in any color & any size that the client desires. There are no off-the-shelf versions of this wheel. R101 LW's for Porsche's begin at $2,400 per wheel retail.

Every metal has advantages and disadvantages over the other. Magnesium wheels are extremely lightweight and typically much more lightweight than their aluminum counterparts (for example the BBS Mags) although in this case they are about the same weight. Magnesium is highly susceptible to corrosion. Because of this HRE has chosen not to use this material despite its lightweight advantages. They want to use a material that is easier for the end user to maintain so that he/she can enjoy the wheels for 10+, 20+ years without problem. HRE has spent a lot of time researching different metals to discover what will be the best material for them to use in the years to come. Here is an excellent video to watch to get a sense of the type of thing that HRE is doing behind the scenes to further the wheel industry -

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 10-15-2020, 11:56 AM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Interesting form of manufacturing - I wonder if it will take off.
Old 10-15-2020, 01:31 PM
Level3
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wasn't going to post this due to the ridicule I might accumulate but whatever. I was talking with a Porsche buddy of mine a few months ago and we got on the subject of the ridiculous fingerprint option Porsche was offering on their hoods. I was like... I could put that on my hood for 20 bucks. LOL As a joke I decided I'd throw it on my car. I scanned a fingerprint... altered and vectored it in Adobe and used my wife's vinyl cutter to cut it out. The proportions aren't perfect but it didn't turn out too bad. I slapped it on my car and drove over to my friend's house. We got some good laughs out of it. I had planned on removing it pretty quickly but it's kind of grown on me and is a good conversational piece.

The following 2 users liked this post by Level3:
Big Swole (10-15-2020), MotoJB (10-24-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 991 turbo today?