991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

991 Turbo track car

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2020 | 12:57 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

I got an email this morning from Ross Bentley about the new Garmin Catalyst data/video system. It's $999 with both the data logger and HD camera. He helped them develop it, and it's both a capture system AND offers actual coaching at the same time!! It seems at first like a game changer, since you don't have to use a PC to analyze data or compare laps - you do it right on the device.

Here are a couple of videos of how different parts of it work, but I'm initially impressed:

What do you guys think?

UPDATE: I went ahead and ordered one. I will use it in addition to the AIM Solo DL. They do a lot of the same things, but the do several key things different that I want to check out for $1000.

Last edited by Randyc151; 09-03-2020 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2020 | 07:09 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Randyc151
I got an email this morning from Ross Bentley about the new Garmin Catalyst data/video system. It's $999 with both the data logger and HD camera. He helped them develop it, and it's both a capture system AND offers actual coaching at the same time!! It seems at first like a game changer, since you don't have to use a PC to analyze data or compare laps - you do it right on the device.

Here are a couple of videos of how different parts of it work, but I'm initially impressed:
https://youtu.be/rpp7FebnqxA
https://youtu.be/fZ3yyf8CWdU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwiRvXuMAq8

What do you guys think?

UPDATE: I went ahead and ordered one. I will use it in addition to the AIM Solo DL. They do a lot of the same things, but the do several key things different that I want to check out for $100.
Looks like a friendly tool.. If it has OBD connectivity it’s a little jewel.
Old 09-03-2020 | 07:11 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Pdtp#16
BTW my new setup will look close to this

This is so cool, RSR style exhaust!
The following users liked this post:
pepinozaur (09-13-2020)
Old 09-03-2020 | 07:48 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I like the idea, but honestly I have been far less than impressed with Garmin auto/moto products I've owned or looked at.... Absolutely terrible user interfaces, bad touch-screens, low resolution, lots of proprietary stuff going on, etc.

They do have a significant presence and strong reputation in the aviation industry, so I think they have the capability of creating great products, let's hope they put the right engineers on this one.
Old 09-03-2020 | 08:41 PM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pfbz
I like the idea, but honestly I have been far less than impressed with Garmin auto/moto products I've owned or looked at.... Absolutely terrible user interfaces, bad touch-screens, low resolution, lots of proprietary stuff going on, etc.

They do have a significant presence and strong reputation in the aviation industry, so I think they have the capability of creating great products, let's hope they put the right engineers on this one.
I think Ross Bentley helped with it, so I'm thinking it won't be too bad, and I like the onboard "3 opportunities" feature while I'm on track! It won't replace the Aim Solo DL, but just another (easier) tool to use.
Old 09-13-2020 | 12:36 AM
Nevsky_SPb
AutoX

Comparison of 991.2 gt3 rs and 991.2 turbo s (same driver, different days, similar conditions). Track doesn't have long straights, doesn't really have high speed corners, but has a lot of slower technical ones.

I traded my RS for turbo as I wanted something I can daily. I wanted normal seats, quieter exhaust, not worrying about value and being able to drive in winter. This data is from my local track. I was blown away by perfomance of the turbo. End result is 1.14.5 for GT3 RS and 1.15.0 for the turbo.

RS:
- trofeo r 265/325
- dundon exhaust ( sounds great, but I couldn't really feel any more power)
- track alignment
- elehphant front suspension parts

Turbo S:
- micheling ps4s 245/305
- more camber than stock but not a track alignment at all
- cobb tune 1, no hardware ( you can feel more power, but its not huge difference)
- DSC controller ( big difference on the street, never driven without it on track)

Obesrvations:
- gt3 is easier to drive at the limit, but less rewarding to get laptime out of it. It does everything well and correct. Turbo on the other hand you have to manhandle a little bit. Power is a great thing and helps overcome braking and cornering deficiency. Braking on the rs is better, more consistent and easier to modulate. (different abs maps, different master and booster). I think on the same tire turbo with those mods will be faster. I am very happy with the car, i think after a couple more mods I will be able to have a car that will be better on track then the RS, and will be 100 times better on the street.
Old 09-13-2020 | 12:50 AM
Randyc151
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, with the same tires as the GT3RS, I'm fairly optimistic you can find more than another half second - honestly it's not even close to a fair comparison with the tire difference. I never had trouble leaving GT3RS's in my TTS on Cup2's in 265/325. Nice move!
Old 09-13-2020 | 02:16 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Nice comparison Nevsky thanks for posting it. The TTS seems to be pulling very strong, speed differential with the GT3RS is substantial, can you share 100-200kph acceleration data for both cars on the long straight ?

The peak Gs seem very similar between both cars, but your apex speed quite lower on the turbo, do you think you are being more cautious cornering the turbo or is it at the limit? Definitely Trofeos will improve cornering speed.

Another upgrade to help with the cornering without going into control arms and camber plates might be a set of lowering springs, I haven't tested a DSC, but seems that with the right setting your street comfort wouldn't be impacted.
Old 09-13-2020 | 10:57 PM
Nevsky_SPb
AutoX

Originally Posted by Jean
Nice comparison Nevsky thanks for posting it. The TTS seems to be pulling very strong, speed differential with the GT3RS is substantial, can you share 100-200kph acceleration data for both cars on the long straight ?

The peak Gs seem very similar between both cars, but your apex speed quite lower on the turbo, do you think you are being more cautious cornering the turbo or is it at the limit? Definitely Trofeos will improve cornering speed.

Another upgrade to help with the cornering without going into control arms and camber plates might be a set of lowering springs, I haven't tested a DSC, but seems that with the right setting your street comfort wouldn't be impacted.
100-200kph:
TTS: 6.44 seconds, 281 meters
3RS: 7.84 seconds, 365 meters
This was on different days, so not sure about if wind was similar.

I wasn't any more cautious with the turbo, i think gt3 still has a higher grip limit and pulls more gs. I ordered some geometry things, and will try to get a run on cup2 after. Should be an improvement.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nevsky_SPb:
Archille (09-14-2020), Jean (09-15-2020)
Old 09-14-2020 | 02:13 PM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Got back to track after upgrades to new to me 991.1 S. Fabspeed exhaust:headers, hi-flow cats etc (they were the only co that would guarantee I would make sound at Lime Rock), Cobb tune, DSC controller, replaced ceramic rotors/pads with AP racing parts & an alignment, not full track as it is still basically a street car. Car already has Cup2 tires in OEM sizes with 2 track days. I don't f*** around on public roads so going back to my home track, Thompson Speedway, was my 1st chance to unleash. 1st observation, the car was scary fast but with no negative impact on street driving comfort. It was an open track day so I had the time to work up to speed where I felt comfortable getting hard on throttle on exit. About +7 mph difference in top speed into the straight braking zone. Given this speed I also had to rediscover my braking point ,obviously earlier, so the +7 is crazy. I don't think it's the steel brakes as they were well bedded and I really couldn't feel any appreciable difference. I have a DSC in my GT3, which has the 4 step setup, so that took me a few web searches and some time before i discovered the new series is only a 2 step. I tend to run curbs as that is the only indication while driving that I have hit apex/trackout points. The curbs grew decidedly shorter pre-DCS vs post-DCS and the car less unsettled. I have baseline data OEM but didn't do any data/timing Saturday which I'll get this week, but the car felt much better planted & faster than my 1st trip. My next set of tires will be 265/325 and I look forward to seeing what that does. When I got home I finally looked at the invoice and I saw they had loaded the stage 3 aggressive tune. Thankfully Saturday was a cool day. I loaded the stage 2 with the stock turbo curves which I'll run in the AM and in the afternoon I'll load the aggressive stage 2 and see which I like better. Thanks everyone who posted here as it supplied a lot of info for effective mods.
KONG991TT (09-17-2020)
Old 09-14-2020 | 03:07 PM
Pdtp#16
Racer

Originally Posted by lnirenberg
Got back to track after upgrades to new to me 991.1 S. Fabspeed exhaust:headers, hi-flow cats etc (they were the only co that would guarantee I would make sound at Lime Rock), Cobb tune, DSC controller, replaced ceramic rotors/pads with AP racing parts & an alignment, not full track as it is still basically a street car. Car already has Cup2 tires in OEM sizes with 2 track days. I don't f*** around on public roads so going back to my home track, Thompson Speedway, was my 1st chance to unleash. 1st observation, the car was scary fast but with no negative impact on street driving comfort. It was an open track day so I had the time to work up to speed where I felt comfortable getting hard on throttle on exit. About +7 mph difference in top speed into the straight braking zone. Given this speed I also had to rediscover my braking point ,obviously earlier, so the +7 is crazy. I don't think it's the steel brakes as they were well bedded and I really couldn't feel any appreciable difference. I have a DSC in my GT3, which has the 4 step setup, so that took me a few web searches and some time before i discovered the new series is only a 2 step. I tend to run curbs as that is the only indication while driving that I have hit apex/trackout points. The curbs grew decidedly shorter pre-DCS vs post-DCS and the car less unsettled. I have baseline data OEM but didn't do any data/timing Saturday which I'll get this week, but the car felt much better planted & faster than my 1st trip. My next set of tires will be 265/325 and I look forward to seeing what that does. When I got home I finally looked at the invoice and I saw they had loaded the stage 3 aggressive tune. Thankfully Saturday was a cool day. I loaded the stage 2 with the stock turbo curves which I'll run in the AM and in the afternoon I'll load the aggressive stage 2 and see which I like better. Thanks everyone who posted here as it supplied a lot of info for effective mods.
curious what lap times are you running at Lime Rock? Also any vids?
Old 09-15-2020 | 01:54 AM
Wjm3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Those are very pretty seats.
i don’t know if you got this to work but I made airbag simulator plugs and such in the past. I can give you the usual formula and you can likely make up an airbag substitute
Old 09-15-2020 | 01:57 AM
Wjm3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lnirenberg
i tend to find the aggressive boost map to overshoot which could make transitions/exits more “exciting” but unnecessary. Curious what your thoughts are
Old 09-15-2020 | 02:01 AM
Wjm3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jean
This is so cool, RSR style exhaust!
there is a set of these pipes for the turbo for sale still in the market place
Jean (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020 | 07:19 AM
lnirenberg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pdtp#16
curious what lap times are you running at Lime Rock? Also any vids?
I have a total of 3 track days on the car with 1 at lime rock. It was doing sub 1 min out of the box and this was before any mods. It took me a few session to find a comfortable line on the left hander but it felt like the car was built for Line Rock. I won’t get out there again until next yr. I haven’t done any video As I just got a Ram windshield phone mount and keeping it simple I’m going to use Harry’s

Quick Reply: 991 Turbo track car