Sponsored by:

Reference Guide to PTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015 | 08:00 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default Re: Rennteam PTS reports...

Originally Posted by djcxxx
There are a couple of posts over on RT stating that calls were received from Porsche stating their RS PTS has been cancelled. Any truth to this? All too familiar if true.
Here are the two posts from Rennteam:

1) From our usually reliable friend in Switzerland 'Gnil':

"regarding PTS :

Informations are very contradicting . Some say they have confirmed orders but .......

My brother , who has also an RS on order wanted PTS. Porsche Switzerland said at the beginning of the week that he could get it . But today he got a call directly form Porsche Germany .

The guy said there will be NO PTS for anybody . All customers who ordered PTS will receive a letter saying that they must choose in the official proposed colors . And that as of today this si the rule and the only rule . He was pretty pissed of at all the forum rumors .

So ......... yes where is the truth regarding PTS
"

2) Also from the Swiss 'M3ike':

"Re: 991 GT3 RS

The information I have got from my dealer yesterday was that when I requested PTS several months ago it was approved but declined yesterday. Now if either UV or Miami Blue isnt possible either due to wathever reason I will order the car in white as a friend of mine who is a Porsche collector already offered me CHF 50k above list price. So I will just sell it on and Porsche has lost any future business with me.

Mike
"

http://www.rennteam.com/forum/page1.html?vs=3#post2

Let's see if we get corroboration from any other Porsche market in Europe or elsewhere in ROW. Or if it's simply a case of folks with an RS allocation but with no official confirmation of PTS now sadly told the truth about the fact they (the Swiss importer or their Swiss dealer) never had approval by PAG of PTS status on their customers' actual build. We need to get a better explanation of what is going on. And folks need to ask the right questions from their importer/dealers & post clearer messages about the status of their PTS order on internet forums so that we get to the bottom of it all.

You know what Melissa Witek emailed to me on 7/13 at post # 539:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...gt3-rs-36.html

And nothing regarding what the Swiss are reporting on July 17th in Rennteam was communicated to me that same day in Zuffenhausen by the executives I met with at 'Porsche Exclusive'!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Still in Germany

See following thread on my visit to PAG & 'Porsche Exclusive':

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ly-2015-a.html
Old 07-19-2015 | 09:55 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

This looks nothing like Fashion Grey. FG looks very sand-colored / beige with lots of brown / yellow in it in person. This looks like a dark neutral gray.

Old 07-20-2015 | 12:05 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mech33
This looks nothing like Fashion Grey. FG looks very sand-colored / beige with lots of brown / yellow in it in person. This looks like a dark neutral gray.
Yes! I agree that on first glance the Fashion grey sample doesn't have the typical appearance of FG, at least based on its appearance in most photos and in real life at least to my eye. But photos are misleading. The light white background against which all these samples are displayed tricks the eye (and camera) into making them look darker. A small square against white gives a vastly different impression than an entire car painted in the colour; just like when you paint a room or house, only to find it looks lighter / different when it's all done compared to the impression from the paint swatch.

Here it is again, cut and paste into a photo of Eduardo and me with a Fashion grey GT3. In this photo, the sample from his photo and the car look very close in colour IMO.

Unfortunately for anyone trying to decide whether they like Fashion grey or not, it varies so much under different conditions, and makes it hard to understand. To me, this is something I like a lot about FG--it's harder to get bored with it if it's changing all the time!

Eduardo, thanks for taking and posting these photos! I have an interest in Grigiocampovolo too, since I originally ordered this colour before changing to Fashion grey, as you know. It's only too bad the Slates couldn't be found.

Originally Posted by Z356
Left 'Light Oxford' next to ' Fashion Grey / ModeGrau'

'Grigiocampovolo'

Originally Posted by Z356
here is an educated guess from my notes & photos I took on Friday July 17th. The color you enclosed fully in red is (I believe) 'Fashion Grey / Modegrau'. The lighter color on its left is 'Light Oxford Grey'. On the right is 'Grigiocampovolo'. This relates to your photo above.
I have to say, I'm not sure I see them the same way in Jupjai's photo however. In fact I wonder if someone swapped Grigiocampovolo with Fashion grey, between when he and you took your respective photos. Either that, or the two separate photos you took are balanced slightly differently. I believe Fashion grey is more brown/yellow than Grigiocampovolo. I've put your two photos together (I had to adjust exposure on Grigiocampovolo to get the background the same); comparing it to a clip of Jupjai's photo, I think Oxford is on the left, but the other two may be swapped. If that were the case, then the colour encircled in red in the middle by NORTH DRIVE would be Grigiocampovolo, not Fashion grey.

Jupjai's photos (first two); Z356's photos (combined in third):

If you have a photo of all three together, that would be easier to compare to Jupjai's photo. So I may very well be wrong on this.

Anyway, all this to say greys are very hard to photograph and even small samples don't really show the colour well.

As a final example, (mostly for NORTH DRIVE's benefit, in case this is a colour under consideration) here's Grigiocampovolo on a car (looks much lighter than the sample), and clearly Fashion grey is susceptible to the same phenomenon. (It's only when you notice the white cars (Boxster Spyder, etc) in the background that you can see this is Grigiocampovolo and not white! BTW, looks to me like there's also a ?Mexico ?GT3 further in the background! )

Last edited by <3mph; 07-20-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-20-2015 | 12:36 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Fair point! This color on the left looks the most like Fashion Grey of any of them based on me seeing it in person:

Old 07-20-2015 | 12:53 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mech33
Fair point! This color on the left looks the most like Fashion Grey of any of them based on me seeing it in person:
I completely agree, that is more of the impression one usually gets. To be fair, though, I have also seen FG look quite dark and quite neutral grey in real life. Depends on the light, nearby colours reflected in the paint, background as a foil, etc... I think Jupjai (and I) also thought the Oxford sample was Fashion grey (at least until Eduardo's info just now). And for all we know, maybe Eduardo's notes and/or photos got mixed up (although that's quite unlikely given how meticulous, detailed, and right he usually is)! A little unsolved mystery is not a bad thing either!
Old 07-20-2015 | 01:22 PM
NORTH DRIVE
Advanced

Thank you for all of your input. So still, noone has seen a confirmed Slate Grey (silver stone/silberstein) Y97 car or sample? I've asked my dealer to spray one, but I've been told you never really know how that'll compare to factory.
Rob

Originally Posted by <3mph
Yes! I agree that on first glance the Fashion grey sample doesn't have the typical appearance of FG, at least based on its appearance in most photos and in real life at least to my eye. But photos are misleading. The light white background against which all these samples are displayed tricks the eye (and camera) into making them look darker. A small square against white gives a vastly different impression than an entire car painted in the colour; just like when you paint a room or house, only to find it looks lighter / different when it's all done compared to the impression from the paint swatch.

Here it is again, cut and paste into a photo of Eduardo and me with a Fashion grey GT3. In this photo, the sample from his photo and the car look very close in colour IMO.

Unfortunately for anyone trying to decide whether they like Fashion grey or not, it varies so much under different conditions, and makes it hard to understand. To me, this is something I like a lot about FG--it's harder to get bored with it if it's changing all the time!

Eduardo, thanks for taking and posting these photos! I have an interest in Grigiocampovolo too, since I originally ordered this colour before changing to Fashion grey, as you know. It's only too bad the Slates couldn't be found.

I have to say, I'm not sure I see them the same way in Jupjai's photo however. In fact I wonder if someone swapped Grigiocampovolo with Fashion grey, between when he and you took your respective photos. Either that, or the two separate photos you took are balanced slightly differently. I believe Fashion grey is more brown/yellow than Grigiocampovolo. I've put your two photos together (I had to adjust exposure on Grigiocampovolo to get the background the same); comparing it to a clip of Jupjai's photo, I think Oxford is on the left, but the other two may be swapped. If that were the case, then the colour encircled in red in the middle by NORTH DRIVE would be Grigiocampovolo, not Fashion grey.

Jupjai's photos (first two); Z356's photos (combined in third):

If you have a photo of all three together, that would be easier to compare to Jupjai's photo. So I may very well be wrong on this.

Anyway, all this to say greys are very hard to photograph and even small samples don't really show the colour well.

As a final example, (mostly for NORTH DRIVE's benefit, in case this is a colour under consideration) here's Grigiocampovolo on a car (looks much lighter than the sample), and clearly Fashion grey is susceptible to the same phenomenon. (It's only when you notice the white cars (Boxster Spyder, etc) in the background that you can see this is Grigiocampovolo and not white! BTW, looks to me like there's also a ?Mexico ?GT3 further in the background! )

Old 07-20-2015 | 07:23 PM
Puf n Stuf
Instructor

Brilliant!

I have an interest in Grigiocampovolo too, since I originally ordered this colour before changing to Fashion grey, as you know. It's only too bad the Slates couldn't be found.
I have seen Grigiocampovolo in the flesh, on an actual car, a number of times and to me it looks quite like the first photo that you posted, which I've repeated below.
The second photo is one that I took of the Grigiocampovolo car that I have seen and the photo has all sorts of hues/shading going on. It certainly doesn't appear to resemble how the car appeared to my eye.
So the moral is, don't rely on photos of colour swatches or even photos of finished cars - go find an actual car in the colour you want unless you like to take a chance.

Old 07-20-2015 | 09:59 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Originally Posted by Puf n Stuf
the Grigiocampovolo car that I have seen
Thanks for your impressions and the photo of this colour. I haven't seen it in person, so I really appreciate hearing from you about it. BTW, any update on your Grigiocampovolo GTS? Looking forward to photos!
Old 07-21-2015 | 07:48 AM
Selvatico
Instructor

sorry if it was already discussed, but I can't find any specific answer here..Do you know if the standard black will be for free as I was told few days ago by my dealer? he confirms that the metallic (Jet Black) will be PTS, but the standard black not.. Since he needs a confirmation by me about the definitive color (white or deep standard black), I would like to ask if you already discussed this detail here...Tks.
Old 07-21-2015 | 07:52 AM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Black is 5500 to my understanding
Old 07-21-2015 | 09:14 AM
Maxant13
Rennlist Member

My build is A-1 black. On the order it is listed as PTS $5500.
I keep telling myself it is part of the ultra rare "test mule" package to justify the $5500.
Old 07-21-2015 | 10:32 AM
GT3RS
Advanced

Spoke to my dealer today in the UK and they said my PTS was accepted a month or two ago and will be honoured, but no new PTS accepted for a few weeks now. They also started the dreaded 918 seat shortage rumour again, saying that the system was changing them to folding buckets, but not on my car. The only bad news was that apparently build has slipped from October 15 - April 16 if I keep my PTS or December 15 if I choose I of the 3 new colours

I am a healthy sceptic, I would not be supposed if this changed again, spec restriction wise or delivery dates.......
Old 07-21-2015 | 10:42 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Default 'Black' is indeed considered PTS on the RS...and costs $5500!

Originally Posted by Selvatico
sorry if it was already discussed, but I can't find any specific answer here..Do you know if the standard black will be for free as I was told few days ago by my dealer? he confirms that the metallic (Jet Black) will be PTS, but the standard black not.. Since he needs a confirmation by me about the definitive color (white or deep standard black), I would like to ask if you already discussed this detail here...Tks.
Originally Posted by poofyo101
Black is 5500 to my understanding
Originally Posted by Maxant13
My build is A-1 black. On the order it is listed as PTS $5500. I keep telling myself it is part of the ultra rare "test mule" package to justify the $5500.
Like the others have correctly responded, we are pretty certain that 'Black' (Solid/Uni) will be $5500 as PTS (just for the gt3 RS in this case unfortunately) per a direct answer to the question I posed to Melissa Witek of Porsche Exclusive in the US.

See Post #539

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...gt3-rs-36.html

I have not heard if 'Jet Black Metallic' has been actually approved for the 991 gt3 RS. Perhaps someone can confirm...or deny. PTS specifically for the 991 gt3 RS has become a very complicated & opaque process. We really still don't know how many actual PTS colors have been approved for the RS. We are dependent on hearing of actual confirmation from customers approved for customers on their allocated 991 gt3 RS's. And that information continues to be 'spotty'.

I want to give a special thanks to my friend Daniel (<3mph) for not only holding the PTS fort...but actually providing great details & background information on the topics above. I will double check at some point with 'Porsche Exclusive' in Zuffenhausen to make sure the photos I took correspond to 'Fashion Grey' and 'Grigiocampovolo'. And if we need to make corrections, I will do so. Nothing I hate more than misrepresent an actual Porsche color to our readers. So thank everyone for bringing this to my attention.

Daniel is correct in stating that the lighting in room that holds the 'Wailing Wall' is not great for accurate photography.

I will have a lot more to say on this subject at the 'Visit to Porsche' thread below. I have a great deal of material to discuss with our readers at Rennlist. But composing all the posts take time because I am also balancing the blogging with traveling around Germany with my wife! I hope most of you will understand.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...ly-2015-a.html

By the way, I have just arrived at the 'Bellevue Hotel on the Mosel at Traben-Trarbach. It's actually cool right next to the river at the present time...but the humidity is still pretty high.

Saludos,
Eduardo

Old 07-21-2015 | 12:16 PM
<3mph
Drifting

You're welcome Eduardo! Just make sure you save plenty of time to enjoy your vacation. (Even if we are all eager to hear more from you!). Btw I don't think you mixed up grigiocampovolo and modegrau--rather the placement of the samples may have changed since Henry was there.
Old 07-21-2015 | 12:48 PM
Mcx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3RS
Spoke to my dealer today in the UK and they said my PTS was accepted a month or two ago and will be honoured, but no new PTS accepted for a few weeks now. They also started the dreaded 918 seat shortage rumour again, saying that the system was changing them to folding buckets, but not on my car. The only bad news was that apparently build has slipped from October 15 - April 16 if I keep my PTS or December 15 if I choose I of the 3 new colours

I am a healthy sceptic, I would not be supposed if this changed again, spec restriction wise or delivery dates.......
Ok thanks for the update.. lots of confusion..

Quick Reply: Reference Guide to PTS