Sponsored by:

No More PTS on any cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:40 PM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts
Default No More PTS on any cars?

My dealer told me today that there will be no more PTS available for ANY model of Porsche moving forward. I am not speaking about GT3, ALL Porsches.

I found this out when my request for yellow gauges on a 2015 GT3 ( special request) was declined by the factory rep.

My guess is sales are very good at the present time, and Porsche does not want to slow the line down at all.

I thought the special requests and PTS were some items that made Porsche very unique.

Anyone else hear this?
Old 11-14-2014, 11:46 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

My dealer told me the same thing yesterday when I was up there. They said Porsche emailed them saying no PTS on any 2015 models (whole lineup, not just GT3s). Was surprised to hear it.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:08 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by redlightrich
Anyone else hear this?
It was reported a few days ago in the Rennlist 991 forum:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8434...l-my-16-a.html

This is not good news.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS. I think they'll make a temporary exception for PTS on the 918 Spyder...but it was reported that request for PTS must be made for this model by the end of this month.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:11 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

I found this out when my request for yellow gauges on a 2015 GT3 ( special request) was declined by the factory rep.
Check with Rhonda at FVD.

http://www.fvd.us/us/en/Porsche-0/99...aces&.x=0&.y=0
Old 11-15-2014, 12:23 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

I would like to know more details about Porsche management's decision making process regarding PTS because I believe it will be a harbinger of (bad) things to come in other matters of customer choice. The paint process is highly automated and highly flexible if the decision is made to configure the system for customer demand rather than profit from uniformity. The current palette of Porsche colors is constrained in number and frankly rather dull IMHO. We are clearly not in the 1970s in terms of color choices.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:43 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,735 Likes on 5,126 Posts

Blame VW
Old 11-15-2014, 02:11 AM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

One possible answer to this issue is that Porsche has decided that it is just time to get building cars, selling them and making some money. I suspect that the whole 2014 GT3 engine issue and the amount of money they stepped-up with to compensate the owners was not part of their business model for a profit margin. Then throw in the $$ reimbursed owners for the lack of memory seats... I admire and compliment Porsche for going above and beyond in those instances which were way out of any normal expectation in warranty cost. Hopefully the PTS program will return but I can certainly understand the possible problem and added cost it involves. All speculation on my part but seems logical...
Old 11-15-2014, 02:11 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
I would like to know more details about Porsche management's decision making process regarding PTS because I believe it will be a harbinger of (bad) things to come in other matters of customer choice. The paint process is highly automated and highly flexible if the decision is made to configure the system for customer demand rather than profit from uniformity.
I agree with David...and would like to know how/why the decision was made! Here is what I posted over at the 991 forum on the subject PTS being discontinued for the remainder of MY2015 on new allocations:

Originally Posted by Z356
Keith: This is not good news, as it doesn't bode well for the whole PTS program at Porsche if it is indeed true. I have been anticipating the face lifted MY2016 .2 991 (or 992) to start production in late Spring of 2015. Some sources have recently speculated that it's debut would be delayed until the IAA (Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung) at Frankfurt in September and production of the '16 .2 991 would start later that Fall. Either way (6 or nearly 10 months) is quite a long time without PTS if that email is correct...and it would be unprecedented in recent history at 'Porsche Exclusive'!

So if it's true, it puts into question whether PAG is currently re-evaluating PTS as a viable option, with all of its coordination & production headaches/liabilities for the company. Thus it would NOT surprise me, should they decide to continue with PTS, if they up the price considerably starting with MY2016 for this option. So caveat lector.
Originally Posted by djcxxx
The current palette of Porsche colors is constrained in number and frankly rather dull IMHO. We are clearly not in the 1970s in terms of color choices.
Correct. On the 991 gt3 right now, we have 4 standard non-metallic colors, 7 metallic colors and 3 special colors. That is 14 colors in total. PTS currently allows you to order from 4 pages of colors that have been ordered by customers, tested & approved by 'Porsche Exclusive' since 991 production began in the fall of 2011. See attached list dated 9/09/2014. That PTS program adds a special dimension to the custom ordering experience of a Porsche which is seldom matched by any other European sport car company in scope & affordability.

To contrast, in MY1970 Porsche offered 9 standard colors and 21 special colors - 30 in total! And you could still order PTS if you like...and some did just that!

The standard colors back then were:
- blood orange 14.48%
- ivory 13.75%
- signal orange 11.72%
- irish green 7.03%
- albert blue 6.81%
- conda green 6.56%
- bahia red 6.42%
- burgundy red 6.07%
- pastel blue 4.23%

The Special Colors were:
- metallic silver 7.83%
- metallic blue 2.78%
- lemon (Canary) yellow 2.10%
- black 1.22%
- metallic green 1.21%
- adriatic blue 1.21%
- light yellow 1.11%
- metallic red 0.96%
- sepia 0.79%
- olive 0.68%
- signal yellow 0.60%
- bush (Leaf) green 0.21%
- beige (Oxford) gray 0.10%
- signal green 0.10%
- porcelain (Enamel) blue 0.10%
- light red 0.10%
- ivory 0.10%
- crystal blue 0.10%
- turquoise 0.10%
- turquoise green 0.10%
- light grey 0.10%

PTS were 1.3% of total and not included in the colors above.

From August 1969 to June 1970 a total of 15,749 porsches of types 911 and 914/6 were built (MY1970). The information and % of colors ordered/built came from an article that Richard von Frankenberg, the editor, wrote for 'Christophorus' in Oct 1970. Issue #89. Page 44. My original paint 'Crystal Blue' 1970 911E Targa is counted above. One of 16 (or less if you count only 911's).

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Blame VW
We need more info on 'what/why' before we start blaming the VW Group, the accountants, the warranty department...or anyone else.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

PS Photos of dealer color guides re: 1971.

Attached Images   
Attached Images
Old 11-15-2014, 03:40 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Warren99
My dealer told me the same thing yesterday when I was up there. They said Porsche emailed them saying no PTS on any 2015 models (whole lineup, not just GT3s). Was surprised to hear it.
This if true is very bad news and indicative of where PAG are going as they get sucked into VAG.

I had PTS in mind for the Cayman GT4 if it surfaces and the spec if significant enough to interest me. Without PTS the proposition doesnt seem nearly as enticing if Im honest. I tried PTS for my Nov 2013 build 991 GT3 but was warned early for RHD cars my order would not be delivered until April if I went that way (Im glad I didnt as I got a month in Europe with the car before stop sale - otherwise my car would only just have been delivered a year later!).

Like another poster above my biggest issue with being restrained to PAGs model colour chart is that generally they are pretty naff colours (for the GT3). White, black yellow red - OK. But 2-3 metallic silvers a grey a poo brown metallic and a midnight blue (dont get me wrong I love that colour on my 993 but honestly its been around since 1990).

If they are going to can PTS they need to step up and double their colours like they did with the 964/993 in the 90s or better yet like Eduardo educated us in the 70s.

Very disappointing if the news is correct. End of an era. cant see them reinstating the service once retracted. Becoming a different company as I guess we all knew would probably happen...
Old 11-15-2014, 03:44 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Given the way that so many of us on RL, misty-eyed and giddy, like we're ten years old again, drooled over the breathtaking jellybean GT3s that only PTS offers, I'm deeply saddened to hear this news. I mean, have any other cars elicited the same enthusiastic response from so many admirers as Allans's drop-dead gorgeous Mexico Blue, or the mysterious green cars in Europe, or PeteyDaddy's astonishing Maritime Blue? Hopefully someone passionate and bold enough within the upper echelons of the company still feels the same way and will see to the long-term survival of PTS for all its loyal devotees. Please, PAG, don't take this dream away from us!
Old 11-15-2014, 04:32 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

There is always the option of plastidipping your car&hellip; Wait, no, sorry, wrong thread.

All jokes aside, the colors offered by Porsche today are almost all a little bit off to me. with the exception of black-and-white, all the others iare either a slight shade different from my ideal, or completely undesirable. I wonder if water-based paints now are much more difficult to get right then the lead-based paint that was used years ago?

Regardless, this is a sad development, but I have a feeling it is not a permanent one.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:22 AM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough news considering how PTS keeps the brand "special" to many of us enthusiasts. One possibility is that PAG is having issues coordinating PTS within current production and the output is less than acceptable from a quality standpoint. There were quality issues with my PTS that were ultimatley addressed but it was surprising that it occurred given the high standards we all expect from Porsche. Maybe it's as simple as they're just getting too 'just- in- time" to produce PTS cars that are up to standards?
Old 11-15-2014, 08:32 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
There is always the option of plastidipping your car&hellip; Wait, no, sorry, wrong thread.

All jokes aside, the colors offered by Porsche today are almost all a little bit off to me. with the exception of black-and-white, all the others iare either a slight shade different from my ideal, or completely undesirable. I wonder if water-based paints now are much more difficult to get right then the lead-based paint that was used years ago?

Regardless, this is a sad development, but I have a feeling it is not a permanent one.
With you 100%. Racing Yellow was biggest miss for me IMO. Such a shame, my Speed Yellow 996.1 GT3 was calling to be for a modern day repeat too. Paying almost 6K for a PTS in Mexico blue to be honest defied the option name "paint to sample". Its a colour they have done thousands of times before. Its should be a 2K upgrade palette colour for a GT3 along with other Jelly bean colours. These guys have missed a whole opportunity to capitalise on their historic when marketing.

In 30 years I suspect the production managers will all be androids. Oh sorry - I mean Siemens/Bosch Articulated Artificial Intelligence Units (AAIU) Model 12-2044v2.0Rspec.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PeteyDaddy
Tough news considering how PTS keeps the brand "special" to many of us enthusiasts. One possibility is that PAG is having issues coordinating PTS within current production and the output is less than acceptable from a quality standpoint. There were quality issues with my PTS that were ultimatley addressed but it was surprising that it occurred given the high standards we all expect from Porsche. Maybe it's as simple as they're just getting too 'just- in- time" to produce PTS cars that are up to standards?
Some truth here re quality standards I believe. In fact the 991 range has been plagued of late by small quality related issues from secondary suppliers (thermostats, bumper painting etc) and some larger ones like engine rod bolt torquing (we assume tolerance related for GT3 engines?) that frankly shouldn't happen and indicate the have been slipping in the QA area.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:40 AM
poofyo101
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 234 Posts

Wow this is awful news.

Quick Reply: No More PTS on any cars?