Sponsored by:

No More PTS on any cars?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 07:50 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteyDaddy
From the factory...they had to heat up the roof and sand it out.
wow, what a mess, did they redo the clear coat? awesome that you saved the option cost
Old 11-15-2014, 08:05 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Free PTS. man you gotta be happy with that outcome. Roofs only going to get wear with sun and bird poop over time. Good work!
Old 11-15-2014, 08:11 PM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually emailed von Platen who I'm sure is sick of hearing from me. They did the right thing and I was pleased with the outcome. What a car...
Old 11-15-2014, 10:16 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Connecting the dots...

Originally Posted by STG991
My friend has an Aqua Blue GT3 coming in at the end of the month. PTS of course. How funny.
Well, that's not what is really funny about his car. We may have actually seen it on this forum parked on the side of Werk II sporting a variety of wrong-colored body parts! That is beyond funny...it's tragic!

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...y-pts-gt3.html

And this could be our second clue as to why PTS has just been put on hold at PAG (I'll talk about our first clue in one minute). Quality control issues on exterior painted parts needed for final assembly of a gt3 and other models. Remember that outside vendors are supplying complete modules & parts (e.g. bumpers, rear deck w. spoiler) to PAG already painted & ready for the final assembly process at Zuffenhausen. This 'Aqua Blue' gt3 could be the poster child of what is going wrong with PTS at the moment - a breakdown of production & quality controls (incorrect deliveries of 'just-in-time', or below-par 'color matching' of parts, etc).

Our first clue came earlier this summer on this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...or-is-off.html

'Front Bumper Color is Off'. That on a 991 gt3 that was not even PTS. Yet the system (whether in-house paint dept or outside vendor of bumper, which is delivered 'painted') was experiencing difficulty matching 'white'!

And some of you might remember what I posted back then:

Originally Posted by Z356
The bumpers are not only painted separately...they even perhaps by-passed Zuffenhausen's paint booth altogether and were painted by an outside vendor & delivered fully assembled for 'just-in-time' and 'just-in-sequence' at the final assembly line at Porsche!

As an aside, if you think 'White' is hard to match on the plastic bumper of a gt3, imagine PAG's Quality Control engineers or the bean counters in their Warranty Department enormous concern (technical & financial) for matching PTS colors on those bumpers and avoiding this type of warranty issues on those special custom-paint cars!!!! If you look it from their perspective, they would cancel PTS and CXX special options in a nano-second. That PTS is still alive at Porsche is a miracle...regardless the $5500 expense. The engineers and accountants would rather not take the risk of the warranty claims. And if you look at the expense of feasibility study for color, PTS paint ordering & handling process, the additional logistical issues involved in coordinating all the painted parts that goes into a vehicle (e.g. a gt3) and the accounting reserves in case of warranty claims, PAG might be able to make the case they break even, or lose money, on each PTS order they sell! What they gain by PTS is not profit...but the ability to satisfy a client with the ultimate personal customization of his/her vehicle, something which is not often offered by the competition. That is the key benefit of PTS & 'Porsche Exclusive'. Remember all of this when you hear folks complaining about the 'high cost' of PTS at Porsche...it's a bargain in my opinion.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Photo One: OP's gt3
Photo Two: Macca's gt3
Photo Three: PTS color code z10 'orange' 997 Turbo with NOT fully matching plastic vs metal paint coloring which I photographed in 2012 at the Historics. That is why some colors are not approved for PTS or are discontinued from production if something like this is discovered with time - to avoid warranty complaints & warranty claims down the line for the manufacturer!
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3/...-is-off-3.html

Finally, we have the case of PeteyDaddy's PTS 'Maritime Blau' paint. A just delivered 991 gt3 that had 'issues' with the paint:

They actually wrapped the car before the clearcoat dried. Looked awful...
From the factory...they had to heat up the roof and sand it out.
Exactlty..was considering walking away then realized no PTS for me. I did get them to waive the charge for PTS...
I actually emailed von Platen who I'm sure is sick of hearing from me. They did the right thing and I was pleased with the outcome. What a car...
It's a damn shame that this happened on a PTS gt3. If indeed the problem was that the clear coat had not 'cured' before the shipping plastic wrap was applied, it could have happened to any other standard color car. But it did occur to this 'Maritime Blau' car and now Porsche needs to investigate if something specifically related to the PTS (the paint chemistry itself or the base primer, etc) is responsible for the delay in cure time and the warranty cost involved ($5500 reimbursed to owner plus cost of expensive paint 'repair' at dealership...plus PAG could be liable for further paint issues with this car in next 4 years!). When your PTS paint problems reach all the way to Detlev von Platen, PCNA and PAG will take notice. And it could have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

A decision then is made at the highest level of the company: Let's re-evaluate PTS at PAG - how we do it, who does it, how much problems it's causing, what is our true costs & profits (if any), what are our extra liabilities & warranty costs, what improvements can we make to our program, including better coordination with our vendors & improved logistics for arrival at assembly as 'needed' - and then decide if we should continue to offer it with the new MY2016.

Dots connected...perhaps.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel

Attached Images    
Old 11-16-2014, 01:24 AM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Ode to detlev!
Old 11-16-2014, 01:45 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,078 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Value of PTS 997 GT3's just notched up another level.....
Guess I should keep mine.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:03 AM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Does anyone have a sense of how often paint issues (regardless of PTS) occur in general and historically? Maybe this is simply par for the course, but now in an internet age we all can compare notes, and word of the rare hiccup travels around the world instantly as opposed to being simply a solitary customer's anecdote.

On the other hand, if this does represent a real uptick in quality / production issues (paint, bolt, bucket delay, thermostat, 18-way configuration, fender liner,...), then I wonder what might lie ahead on the reliability front for us if more gremlins arise. Cat A/B 2014s may yet be thanking their lucky stars as their warranty is extended! For now, I'm still trusting that German engineering will win out over the miscues.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:50 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

On the clear coat not being dry issue. It could be a film adhesive issue. I dealt with a lot of issues with protective film on various stainless steels. The film is used for both handling protection and protection during forming. The film itself, the adhesive and the release agents are all individually specified. It's possible the adhesive itself could have caused pitting. I've seen it happen on appliances. However, if it was a film issue they would have had the problem on more than just one car.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:48 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
Does anyone have a sense of how often paint issues (regardless of PTS) occur in general and historically? Maybe this is simply par for the course, but now in an internet age we all can compare notes, and word of the rare hiccup travels around the world instantly as opposed to being simply a solitary customer's anecdote.

On the other hand, if this does represent a real uptick in quality / production issues (paint, bolt, bucket delay, thermostat, 18-way configuration, fender liner,...), then I wonder what might lie ahead on the reliability front for us if more gremlins arise. Cat A/B 2014s may yet be thanking their lucky stars as their warranty is extended! For now, I'm still trusting that German engineering will win out over the miscues.
The rate of problems is not likely the issue, but rather the underlying corporate philosophy that either focuses on quality and customer service versus profit. When the demand for PTS increased the problem rate naturally increased as well. What had been a little PITA became a large PITA.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:19 AM
PeteyDaddy
Racer

Surprising that they wrap the cars. Audi completely wraps their cars in a reusable cloth.

Old 11-16-2014, 12:24 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
The rate of problems is not likely the issue, but rather the underlying corporate philosophy that either focuses on quality and customer service versus profit. When the demand for PTS increased the problem rate naturally increased as well. What had been a little PITA became a large PITA.
You may be right. I only wonder whether there has been a change in the frequency to try to understand why the restriction on PTS happened now, versus earlier when PAG was acquired by VAG for instance. If the known occurrence of these sorts of issues has been just as high or higher in the past (i.e. now still a small PITA), then maybe there is no reason to implement this change in direction at this time, other than perhaps profits, supplier limitations, etc. However if it is becoming a larger PITA indeed, then this situation might explain everything.

Also, if customer demand for highly popular options is creating backlogs (PTS, LW buckets), then hopefully the response from PAG is not to eliminate the option, but rather to adjust production to accommodate the surge, even if it means adjusting the pricing to ensure profit. It would be a shame if options like PTS and LW buckets were dropped in the future on the GT3.

Hopefully PAG executive view the success of these sorts of special options as an opportunity to increase profitability, either directly from these sales, or more importantly indirectly through the halo car effect. Whether PTS makes sense in high volume models like the C2, Macan, etc, is a different debate; and while it would be sad to see PTS dropped there, I would be hugely disappointed if it were denied in the future for cars at the pinnacle of Porsche's lineup. Just my opinion.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:39 PM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 211 Posts

Must be partially Eduardo's fault then. ;-)
Old 11-16-2014, 12:42 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
You may be right. I only wonder whether there has been a change in the frequency to try to understand why the restriction on PTS happened now, versus earlier when PAG was acquired by VAG for instance. If the known occurrence of these sorts of issues has been just as high or higher in the past (i.e. now still a small PITA), then maybe there is no reason to implement this change in direction at this time, other than perhaps profits, supplier limitations, etc. However if it is becoming a larger PITA indeed, then this situation might explain everything.

Also, if customer demand for highly popular options is creating backlogs (PTS, LW buckets), then hopefully the response from PAG is not to eliminate the option, but rather to adjust production to accommodate the surge, even if it means adjusting the pricing to ensure profit. It would be a shame if options like PTS and LW buckets were dropped in the future on the GT3.

Hopefully PAG executive view the success of these sorts of special options as an opportunity to increase profitability, either directly from these sales, or more importantly indirectly through the halo car effect. Whether PTS makes sense in high volume models like the C2, Macan, etc, is a different debate; and while it would be sad to see PTS dropped there, I would be hugely disappointed if it were denied in the future for cars at the pinnacle of Porsche's lineup. Just my opinion.
I completely agree with you. I work in a large organization where I am at the bottom of the management pyramid. Yet what I do is the central reason for the entire purpose of the organization. Nevertheless the upper tier of management is entirely removed from any comprehension about what I do. Their decisions and policies are often utterly disconnected from the day to day working of the organization. When their efforts fail they are typically perplexed. My question is whether or not this is becoming the case at Porsche under VW.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:59 PM
sccchiii
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I completely agree with you. I work in a large organization where I am at the bottom of the management pyramid. Yet what I do is the central reason for the entire purpose of the organization. Nevertheless the upper tier of management is entirely removed from any comprehension about what I do. Their decisions and policies are often utterly disconnected from the day to day working of the organization. When their efforts fail they are typically perplexed. My question is whether or not this is becoming the case at Porsche under VW.
Sounds like its time for the upper tier to be on episode of "undercover boss" ha ha
Old 11-16-2014, 02:05 PM
SPD YLO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been told BMW has upped the price of Custom colors to $6500. $1500 just to inquire.

Quick Reply: No More PTS on any cars?