Sponsored by:

2017 LeMans

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 10:25 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 185 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Don't get why people care about LMP. Doesn't interest me one bit. Can't buy them, can't drive them and don't relate to the show room. I'd rather watch cars that can be acquired. Maybe if PAG put as much effort into GTE Pro they would
b doing better.

Someone please and explain why LMP should be of interest and why I should
care?
While it's true that to some extent all of the GTE cars are quite removed from their street counterparts, unfortunately the 911 RSR is particularly far removed. Both the rear engine configuration and strut front suspension have been ditched.

So, as it relates to Porsche at least, GTE doesn't have much bearing to the show room either! GT4 class is now the class that has more similarity to what you can buy for the street.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:32 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 17bhub
Hopefully you all caught CJ's interview - good stuff from boots on the ground in Le Mans.
Missed it, somehow...what time was it?
Old 06-18-2017, 10:43 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

It really does not matter if the engine is powerful enough or not because BOP is supposedly equalizing all makes anyway, so the only differentiators are endurance & reliability (at least, in theory). So if the flat 6 were a turbo or a V8 or anything else more powerful, it would have gotten penalized by BOP more. This whole BOP thing is strange, even though its goal sounds reasonable.

Also, not sure how GTE translates to street cars. Astons performed very well in the race, but you definitely would not want one for track driving.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:51 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,529 Likes on 5,056 Posts

Don't get why people care about LMP. Doesn't interest me one bit. Can't buy them, can't drive them and don't relate to the show room. I'd rather watch cars that can be acquired. Maybe if PAG put as much effort into GTE Pro they would
b doing better.

care?
Same could be said for F1.

And I, like a bunch of other people, do enjoy watching F1, as well as LMP.

Many times it's not about what you can do with the cars, but about what the cars are doing, the spirit of competition, and being able partake visually and to appreciate skillful driving.

Of course, you're probably not in prison, so you don't have to watch just what's shown on the communal cafeteria TV, nor do you have to respond to this thread.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:55 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

They should have a real street class of cars spec with all the safety features and see how they do in 24 hrs. Mike
Old 06-18-2017, 11:06 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
It really does not matter if the engine is powerful enough or not because BOP is supposedly equalizing all makes anyway, so the only differentiators are endurance & reliability (at least, in theory). So if the flat 6 were a turbo or a V8 or anything else more powerful, it would have gotten penalized by BOP more. This whole BOP thing is strange, even though its goal sounds reasonable.
As I understand it the BOP is derived from computer based simulations derived from data collected from the cars. The aim to have each car on a simulated lap within 0.3s of each other.

The HP equation is a classic in point - the Porsche, AM and Vantage may make the same peak HP or are restricted to that - however the torque curves will be very different...........and under race conditions I feel this matters.

The difference between the RSR and Vette on the straights came from two areas - torque out of corners and less drag on the the long runs. The BOP might deliver a higher corner Vmin to the Porsche but the reality is you can't get past on the straights and the corner passing is a lottery.

Bearing in mind without BOP a six cylinder Porsche would be annihalated.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:12 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

So I guess Porsche can't win with what they selll unlike Ford or Chevy or AM? $150k+ is a little much for a car that can't win.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:13 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^^Cup car
Old 06-18-2017, 11:24 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,196 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
As I understand it the BOP is derived from computer based simulations derived from data collected from the cars. The aim to have each car on a simulated lap within 0.3s of each other.

The HP equation is a classic in point - the Porsche, AM and Vantage may make the same peak HP or are restricted to that - however the torque curves will be very different...........and under race conditions I feel this matters.

The difference between the RSR and Vette on the straights came from two areas - torque out of corners and less drag on the the long runs. The BOP might deliver a higher corner Vmin to the Porsche but the reality is you can't get past on the straights and the corner passing is a lottery.

Good point - with identical unimpeded lap times, a car with more straight line speed and less cornering speed would do better in a race because of easier passing.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:11 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Agree. The other element that makes BOP even more difficult now is the tire war that is going on in GTE. Michelin vs Dunlop.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:21 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

If the RSRs didn't have the pace on the long straights PAG was asleep at the wheel and should have asked for less weight on board.
I think they actually did just that. It was announced Porsche was allowed to take 8kg less before the start of the race.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

^^^^Cup car
A Cup wouldn't have a chance in that fiield. Everyone keeps whining about keeping NA 6. It can no longer compete. If you want NA 6 PAG can drop LMP. Don't need it for
race development or performance development unless their thing is now winning in a 2 man race
Old 06-19-2017, 09:49 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 139 Posts

Makes think of selling RS banking cash and buying a kickass Corvette Grand Sport. Sorry, but I like to see my car or a car based on mine win not some high tech space ship that has no relevance to me.
You've finally got your out! Now you can sell the car without having to backtrack on a years worth of "RS is an RS"!
Old 06-19-2017, 01:25 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
You guys think the 919 will keep racing? It was off the pace here and at Daytona.
919 never raced at Daytona...

b doing better.

care?
Turbos are the future in light of gov't regs. Those V8s in the Vette and AM did just fine. So much for V8s being to heavy. If the RSRs didn't have the pace on the long straights PAG was asleep at the wheel and should have asked for less weight on board. Who was asleep at the wheelto put the only remaining RSR in podium position have to pit with like4 minutes left for gas and give the podium position to Ford. I'd fire his ***.

Maybe the were we're too worried about Toyota in a two mfg LMP race instead of focusing on their showroom competeition from 4 othter makes in GTE Pro so the "suits" could celebrate a big win and "hat trick". Means 0 to me as an RS owner.

Makes think of selling RS banking cash and buying a kickass Corvette Grand Sport. Sorry, but I like to see my car or a car based on mine win not some high tech space ship that has no relevance to me.
There are a numerous of reasons why the LMP1 effort is of greater import than GT-based racing; a few:

Prestige of overall victory
Development of future technology

When Porsche puts together a 2-3 minute video (probably out this week) illustrating their achievement at Le Mans this year, they will almost certainly describe the 919 as facilitating the journey toward the "sports car of the future"

Porsche has the largest commitment to endurance racing of any manufacturer! How can you criticize their dedication to this form of motorsport?

Aston Martin - GT Only; too cheap to pay IMSA fees so race in WEC only
Audi - Customer GT racing only
BMW - Returning to WEC next year with all new car
Ferrari - GT only
Ford - 4 GT cars across IMSA and WEC, but no prototype effort
GM - IMSA only, except for the Corvettes at Le Mans
Lambo - Customer GT racing only
McLaren - No presence in elite sports car or endurance racing
Mercedes - Customer GT racing only; will never race at Le Mans again after 1955 and 1999 events
Nissan - Pulled out after DISASTROUS 2015 performance
Toyota - LMP1 Only

The 92 RSR was leading the class overnight before Michael Christensen wrecked it near pit in. The 91 RSR had various small issues that prevented it from being in contention for overall victory.

Further, see my below comment on BOP.

Originally Posted by bccars
I think they actually did just that. It was announced Porsche was allowed to take 8kg less before the start of the race.
Porsche received an 8 kg / 17 lb weight break prior to the race, but after qualifying.

Despite what various fanbois will say, the BOP was as equitable as could be reasonably expected. Every manufacturer led in GTE Pro, and the race went down to the wire.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

For whatever reason Porsche is interested in the "overall" win. You should have seen how giddy those guys were the last couple of hours when they pretty much knew that if the car did not fail that the win was theirs for the taking.

I did not hear much from them on the RSR, other than "it is a new car and it is work in progress."

I do like both classes, but very much identify within whatever looks like my cars. Seeing the two seconds at Daytona and Sebring and now seeing the RSR pit right under my nose to lose third, with about 15 remaining, is pure heartbreak.

I believe the cars are run by separate groups inside Porsche, but I have to think that LMP1 is sucking the budget clean.

BTW I suggest we all look at the scoring sheets. Aston Martin had a significant BOP weight reduction. With that advantage they were able to lay down the fastest lap and of course, win.

While it is true that the fast lap of all GT PRO cars was grouped pretty much tight around 3:51.5 per lap, Aston was the only one to dip under 3:51. BOP is a killer if you don't get the right deal.

Is this some sort of conspiracy like the ones claimed at NASCAR?

Every class was won by a different manufacturer....just saying. Ahemmm....

Quick Reply: 2017 LeMans