Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 LeMans

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 06:18 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

RSR was slow on straight b/c of lack of power. Since they essentially created a non homologated pseudo prototype its amazing why they chose NA after testing both. The six is to small non turboed with the displacement breaks for the the eights in the AM and Vette. It really needs turbos. RSR was slow on straights all weekend and test (10KPH down).
Old 06-18-2017, 06:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Strange how those heavy, slow, agricultural feeling 488's seem to go pretty well around the racetrack...
Old 06-18-2017, 06:50 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
RSR was slow on straight b/c of lack of power. Since they essentially created a non homologated pseudo prototype its amazing why they chose NA after testing both. The six is to small non turboed with the displacement breaks for the the eights in the AM and Vette. It really needs turbos. RSR was slow on straights all weekend and test (10KPH down).
I hope they go with something other than turbos. Maybe a longer stroke.

It'd be a damn shame if the GT3 went turbo from trickle down.
Old 06-18-2017, 07:34 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,089 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
But isn't the BOP supposed to equalised performance? The RSR was running a restrictor so was not developing all the HP it could. Was this maybe just a case of them getting the BOP slightly wrong?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:58 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
But isn't the BOP supposed to equalised performance? The RSR was running a restrictor so was not developing all the HP it could. Was this maybe just a case of them getting the BOP slightly wrong?
I never understood how BOP doesn't defeat the whole purpose of factory car competition. Here I am doing all this research, extracting as much performance as possible out of a given hunk of metal only to be told: "Yea, good job you did there. As a matter of fact, so good that we would have to choke or fatten your car a bit so it doesn't destroy its competition." What?

What's the point of factory car competition when every car has to be submitted to a 'fair equalizer' (BOP) whose goal is to make it as equal as possible to every other competing car? It seems that the only thing a factory car win proves is that the BOP has somehow unfairly advantaged the winners vs. the losers.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:08 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 813 Likes on 427 Posts

Turbos are the future in light of gov't regs. Those V8s in the Vette and AM did just fine. So much for V8s being to heavy. If the RSRs didn't have the pace on the long straights PAG was asleep at the wheel and should have asked for less weight on board. Who was asleep at the wheelto put the only remaining RSR in podium position have to pit with like4 minutes left for gas and give the podium position to Ford. I'd fire his ***.

Maybe the were we're too worried about Toyota in a two mfg LMP race instead of focusing on their showroom competeition from 4 othter makes in GTE Pro so the "suits" could celebrate a big win and "hat trick". Means 0 to me as an RS owner.

Makes think of selling RS banking cash and buying a kickass Corvette Grand Sport. Sorry, but I like to see my car or a car based on mine win not some high tech space ship that has no relevance to me.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:16 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
Turbos are the future in light of gov't regs. Those V8s in the Vette and AM did just fine. So much for V8s being to heavy. If the RSRs didn't have the pace on the long straights PAG was asleep at the wheel and should have asked for less weight on board.

Maybe the were we're too worried about Toyota in a two mfg LMP race instead of focusing on their showroom competeition from 4 othter makes in GTE Pro so the suits could celebrate. Means 0 to me as an RS owner.

Makes think of selling RS banking cash and buying a kickass Corvette Grand Sport.

Turbos are the future for the mainstream car. There's no good reason for small production # sports cars to go turbo other than straight line perf. Besides, I'd rather have throttle response.

The Corvette is proof that more tech doesn't necessarily mean a faster car. The engine in that C7R would look quite familiar to a street racer from 1970.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:24 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 69 Posts

Don't get why people care about LMP. Doesn't interest me one bit. Can't buy them, can't drive them and don't relate to the show room. I'd rather watch cars that can be acquired. Maybe if PAG put as much effort into GTE Pro they would
b doing better.

Someone please and explain why LMP should be of interest and why I should
care?
I was just happy to see a car (chassis with 4 wheels) with Porsche name win a race. Little discouraging following last years European WEC and American IMSA (including continental series Caymans) insurance racing and then this year same results despite going to mid engined 911 which even though I want to see Porsche win badly seemed weird since there are no production mid engine 911s
Old 06-18-2017, 08:28 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Maybe the were we're too worried about Toyota in a two mfg LMP race instead of focusing on their showroom competeition from 4 othter makes in GTE Pro so the "suits" could celebrate a big win and "hat trick".
+1
Maybe if Toyota leaves LMP1 then Porsche can have all podiums at all races to itself.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:46 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats Porsche, another one in the bank.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:36 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Don't get why people care about LMP. Doesn't interest me one bit. Can't buy them, can't drive them and don't relate to the show room. I'd rather watch cars that can be acquired. Maybe if PAG put as much effort into GTE Pro they would
b doing better.

Someone please and explain why LMP should be of interest and why I should
care?
I think Prototypes are a showcase of engineering and technology.
It represents the best of the best humanly possible.

That being said, they all look the same and im not really interested in watching them either as i rather watch the GTE cars.

I am sure they are awesome to drive however.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:55 PM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Who was asleep at the wheelto put the only remaining RSR in podium position have to pit with like4 minutes left for gas and give the podium position to Ford. I'd fire his ***.
The car hit debris on track and damaged one or more tires - had to pit.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:03 PM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by JPMD
I was just happy to see a car (chassis with 4 wheels) with Porsche name win a race. Little discouraging following last years European WEC and American IMSA (including continental series Caymans) insurance racing and then this year same results despite going to mid engined 911 which even though I want to see Porsche win badly seemed weird since there are no production mid engine 911s
The RSR is a work in progress, moving to mid-engine is the right move, they now have to work on power to weight. Personally I don't think the flat 6 can deliver what is required unless they go to a twin turbo.

As others have pointed out the RSR was going backwards on the straights.....The BOP rules seem to deliver even lap times but not even race times (in detail). Its worth remembering that at the NBr 24hr only two 991 GT3 Rs finished in the top 20 (there are other things going on in this race which many would consider less than fair - but lets leave that to one side).

The bottom line is the flat six is not up to the task - unless you're in a Cup series (of course )

I was cheering the Corvette on at the end but the Astons got it through great driving and immense pressure.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:11 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 551 Posts

Can someone in the know outline what parts of the RSR are shared with a street car? I was under the impression that is was literally zero - well maybe some fasteners and motor architecture (with the .2 GT3). The RSR does not even look like a 911 - so I don't understand the talk of the RS owners thinking about the RSR as having any kinship.

That said, the new GT4 class forming looks like it's going to be where the action is at for racing....wow, massive group of manufacturers participating.

GTE had some damn fine racing though. I really enjoyed the last 10 min.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:18 PM
randr
Banned

^^^tail lights, front lights - its hard to take it seriously as a 911 given the engine - gearbox position/ lay out.

Quick Reply: 2017 LeMans