Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 LeMans

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 01:35 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 625 Likes on 299 Posts

Amazing access. Guy is one reach around from a GT2RS allocation!! Hi guys!
Old 06-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
Porsche has the largest commitment to endurance racing of any manufacturer! How can you criticize their dedication to this form of motorsport?

Aston Martin - GT Only; too cheap to pay IMSA fees so race in WEC only
Audi - Customer GT racing only
BMW - Returning to WEC next year with all new car
Ferrari - GT only
Ford - 4 GT cars across IMSA and WEC, but no prototype effort
GM - IMSA only, except for the Corvettes at Le Mans
Lambo - Customer GT racing only
McLaren - No presence in elite sports car or endurance racing
Mercedes - Customer GT racing only; will never race at Le Mans again after 1955 and 1999 events
Nissan - Pulled out after DISASTROUS 2015 performance
Toyota - LMP1 Only
Or maybe Porsche is just the last manufacturer to realize that this prototype racing is a waste of time and money?...
Old 06-19-2017, 01:45 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Just in time
For whatever reason Porsche is interested in the "overall" win. You should have seen how giddy those guys were the last couple of hours when they pretty much knew that if the car did not fail that the win was theirs for the taking.

I did not hear much from them on the RSR, other than "it is a new car and it is work in progress."

I do like both classes, but very much identify within whatever looks like my cars. Seeing the two seconds at Daytona and Sebring and now seeing the RSR pit right under my nose to lose third, with about 15 remaining, is pure heartbreak.

I believe the cars are run by separate groups inside Porsche, but I have to think that LMP1 is sucking the budget clean.

BTW I suggest we all look at the scoring sheets. Aston Martin had a significant BOP weight reduction. With that advantage they were able to lay down the fastest lap and of course, win.

While it is true that the fast lap of all GT PRO cars was grouped pretty much tight around 3:51.5 per lap, Aston was the only one to dip under 3:51. BOP is a killer if you don't get the right deal.

Is this some sort of conspiracy like the ones claimed at NASCAR?

Every class was won by a different manufacturer....just saying. Ahemmm....
They are run by different groups.

Frank-Steffen Walliser, who is the former 918 Project Head and now current Vice President Motorsport & GT Cars, is responsible for GTE and GTLM (IMSA) efforts (among other things). He is the gentleman in member Whoopsy's avatar, Preuninger's boss, and the ultimate "cleaning lady."

Fritz Enzinger (Vice President LMP1) and Andreas Seidl (Director Race Operations LMP1) run the LMP1 effort.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:47 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Or maybe Porsche is just the last manufacturer to realize that this prototype racing is a waste of time and money?...
Porsche earns higher profits per unit than any of the names I listed.

Despite the considerable financial outlay, they derive benefits from the investment through R&D, marketing/exposure, etc.

Endurance racing is as much at the core of the brand's identity as F1 is for Ferrari.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

One thing I didn't understand is why the #91 RSR went to the pits with 10 min left in the race? He changed tires and refueled,thus losing the podium. Who does that,seriously?! 10 min left!!!! You couldn't have planned it better?! Mind blowing!
Old 06-19-2017, 01:51 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Audi - Customer GT racing only
I caught a little of the DTM (German Touring Car) race from Hungaroring this weekend and the Audis dominated over Mercedes (C63) and BMW (M4). It's a little disingenuous though, since the RS5 DTM car shares almost nothing in common with the road car (V6 Turbo vs. NA V8 in DTM, Quattro vs. RWD in DTM, etc.)
Old 06-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by neanicu
One thing I didn't understand is why the #91 RSR went to the pits with 10 min left in the race? He changed tires and refueled,thus losing the podium. Who does that,seriously?! 10 min left!!!! You couldn't have planned it better?! Mind blowing!
At some juncture (ie some number of hours to go) they begin "counting back" the number of pit stops needed to go until the end.

A few possibilities:

They knew it would be tight and hoped for more slow zones or a safety car; the same emphasis on longer green flag running that helped the #2 LMP1 run through the field would have hurt the 91 RSR's fuel window

Maybe he cut a tire and needed to replace? Neel Jani had a slow puncture last year and they put new tires on and ended up winning the race after Toyota faltered!

Or maybe - but probably rather unlikely - you know more about success at Le Mans than Olaf Manthey's concern? Send him your resume so you can (1) help them improve their WEC operations and (2) teach him how to ********** into a sock while looking at pictures of H-patterns and clutch pedals.

Originally Posted by GrantG
I caught a little of the DTM (German Touring Car) race from Hungaroring this weekend and the Audis dominated over Mercedes (C63) and BMW (M4). It's a little disingenuous though, since the RS5 DTM car shares almost nothing in common with the road car (V6 Turbo vs. NA V8 in DTM, Quattro vs. RWD in DTM, etc.)
Not sports car or endurance racing at all...
Old 06-19-2017, 02:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

The Porsche GTE Pro car was the RSR. (With the mid engine)
What was the porsche GTE AM car? Was it the previous generation RSR? Mezger or DFI?
Old 06-19-2017, 02:24 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Or maybe - but probably rather unlikely - you know more about success at Le Mans than Olaf Manthey's concern? Send him your resume so you can (1) help them improve their WEC operations and (2) teach him how to ********** into a sock while looking at pictures of H-patterns and clutch pedals.
Can you not post something of value without your regular cheap blow snarky comments?! Even the English Eurosport commentators,which were ex racers,couldn't understand that move...
Old 06-19-2017, 02:26 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
The Porsche GTE Pro car was the RSR. (With the mid engine)
What was the porsche GTE AM car? Was it the previous generation RSR? Mezger or DFI?
GTE PRO = Current Year Factory Supported Car
GTE AM = 1+ Year Old Privateer Supported Car

GTE AM RSR was 2015 or 2016 spec RSR running the Mezger engine; by memory there were examples of both specs judging on wing heights (but I cannot recall specifics)
Old 06-19-2017, 02:28 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Originally Posted by neanicu
Can you not post something of value without your regular cheap blow snarky comments?! Even the English Eurosport commentators,which were ex racers,couldn't understand that move...
Rather rich from the biggest troll on Rennlist!

I'm one of the few people providing facts (of value, I hope!) to people who do not follow or understand sports car / endurance racing.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:37 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,941 Likes on 2,799 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG:

Not sports car or endurance racing at all...
My mention of DTM was not intended to refute your statement - I just found Audi's relative strength there interesting...
Old 06-19-2017, 02:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Porsche earns higher profits per unit than any of the names I listed.

Despite the considerable financial outlay, they derive benefits from the investment through R&D, marketing/exposure, etc.

Endurance racing is as much at the core of the brand's identity as F1 is for Ferrari.
Except Formula 1 attracts a rapid fan following worldwide, while prototype endurance racing is largely ignored by the masses. If there was something big to be gained by racing the LMP cars, you would think that there would be more manufacturers doing it. While I love watching those cars races, it does nothing for me from a marketing perspective in building any connection to the brand. It doesn't look like any Porsche I can buy, or any Porsche at all for that matter, and the racing spectacle doesn't have the attraction of F1. Seems like a big waste to me, other than maybe some R&D time, though I expect they could get that done a hell of a lot cheaper just running experimental cars around closed tracks. Seems like a lot of money to spend to earn the right to run some ads showing a car that's basically undistinguishable from the Toyota to the untrained eye, save for some stickers saying Porsche.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:48 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Rather rich from the biggest troll on Rennlist!
What makes you think I'm a troll?

I'm one of the few people providing facts (of value, I hope!) to people who do not follow or understand sports car / endurance racing.
Now you're just flattering yourself...

How about just state your opinion regarding a post and skip the BS part. Just PM me if you'd like to discuss further your issues with me.

Last edited by neanicu; 06-19-2017 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:00 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Except Formula 1 attracts a rapid fan following worldwide, while prototype endurance racing is largely ignored by the masses. If there was something big to be gained by racing the LMP cars, you would think that there would be more manufacturers doing it. While I love watching those cars races, it does nothing for me from a marketing perspective in building any connection to the brand. It doesn't look like any Porsche I can buy, or any Porsche at all for that matter, and the racing spectacle doesn't have the attraction of F1. Seems like a big waste to me, other than maybe some R&D time, though I expect they could get that done a hell of a lot cheaper just running experimental cars around closed tracks. Seems like a lot of money to spend to earn the right to run some ads showing a car that's basically undistinguishable from the Toyota to the untrained eye, save for some stickers saying Porsche.
I've used to enjoy F1...not anymore. Endurance racing seems a lot more interesting because of the challenges a team is faced with over the 24 hrs. To be honest,I have pretty much given up on Porsche after no 2's failure. I thought Toyota can't lose this race. I went to sleep with the No 1 leading undisturbed. I would have never thought No 2 will be back and actually win the race! I really think that's sensational and well done Porsche!

Quick Reply: 2017 LeMans