Sponsored by:

Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 04:35 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by carcommander
Ferrari has been doing it for a long time. You flip a relatively new car and good luck getting another new one.
I had to sign a right of first refusal for 1 year after purchase on my 458 Spider.

I don't foresee Porsche doing the same.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:37 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I call BS on the article they can see what their dealers are selling for, and the crazy ADM's. It's starts with the dealer network.
+1 - they just felt like they should address is publicly and move on.

Ferrari dealers are now asking for recorded liens on early production cars in the NY/CT market so you can't sell it to anyone else without their permission - good way to make sure you get screwed on resale...
Old 05-26-2017, 04:47 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Honestly I don't buy it. VIPs and the other "big buyers" have so much cache and I can't imagine Porsche just giving them a middle finger.
Actually Porsche do and did give middle fingers to the so called '918 VIPs'.

PCNA had booted quite a few out of the VIP programs because those guys 'flipped' their GT3RS and/or 911Rs

That was under pressure from the dealers, as the official stance was that they are DEALERS, they are there to make money off cars, not customers.

Dealers have a iron-clad license from Porsche to flip cars and that's the bottom line. You PCNA customers are quite screwed that way.

The counter argument is that most of the 918 VIPs are serial car buyers, they buy 5-10 cars a year, sometimes sight unseen, they might drive something for a couple weeks then either didn't like it or something else arrived and had to make room.

The unofficial stance was that if those customers at least keep the car for 6 or more months they 'should' be fine.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:47 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I call BS on the article they can see what their dealers are selling for, and the crazy ADM's. It's starts with the dealer network.
This. Didn't a lot of 918s go to dealer principals who are now benefitting from flipping the GT cars?

J
Old 05-26-2017, 05:05 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 235 Likes on 134 Posts

Ferrari does a good job stopping the flippers and dishonest dealers. My friend owns two Ferrari Stores. When they order a car for a customer a copy of the customer's driver's license has to be part of the customer's file. FNA has been know to make unannounced visits to dealers checking on the buyer's files. Unlike Porsche dealers who can make up fake customer orders... Ferrari dealers are held to a higher standard.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:12 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Or give out allocations based on mileage on your current car.
Best idea I've seen on RL in a long, long time.

Of course it's fraught in some ways. But I still love it…
Old 05-26-2017, 05:14 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Best idea I've seen on RL in a long, long time.

Of course it's fraught in some ways. But I still love it…
Terrible what if you have several Porsche's and drive them equally? You can screw your top buyer that uses all his or her cars?
Old 05-26-2017, 05:15 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 97 Posts

Enforcing against flipping is relatively easy. The dealer tells the buyer of a GT car that the dealership would like the first opportunity to buy the car back should the buyer want to sell. If the buyer fails to do that, he/she will not get any future allocations. Not complicated.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:25 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Enforcing against flipping is relatively easy. The dealer tells the buyer of a GT car that the dealership would like the first opportunity to buy the car back should the buyer want to sell. If the buyer fails to do that, he/she will not get any future allocations. Not complicated.
With the "honest dealers" who're giving allocations at sticker, that's kind of how it already works. It's just not in writing.

I know that I will get a few K under sticker on my car for trade in, but in return I get the next car for sticker. If I sell the car privately, then I'm not 'in' with the dealership and have to fight more to get an allocation, if I can get one at all. Returning a GT car makes it a lot easier to get the next one obviously. If I'm not 'in' with the dealer then I have to buy a car on the secondary markup with ADM ... you're also free to sell your car for ADM as well in this instance. I guess it's kind of the same either way, but it does suck that I had to pay over sticker just to get into it all in the first place. Oh well.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:29 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by tonymission
Honestly I don't buy it. VIPs and the other "big buyers" have so much cache and I can't imagine Porsche just giving them a middle finger.

Hell, Groer gets invited down to look at the new GT3 an exclusive event and my measly three Porsche purchases in the last year nets me a "you might be able to get a car later" response. LOL

I still love you Tony. And the car was worth fighting traffic to go see. The cookies were warm and delicious.

Also, the orange one doesn't count. You didn't keep it in the family.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:34 PM
tonymission
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
I still love you Tony. And the car was worth fighting traffic to go see. The cookies were warm and delicious.

Also, the orange one doesn't count. You didn't keep it in the family.
The family wouldn't sell me one!! LOL and you know I love you... plus I have a check to get you at some point. Maybe you can come get that pressure washer??

I'm just talking smack, you know that
Old 05-26-2017, 05:59 PM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Cannot see this working out. Somebody can cash in big on a 991.2 GT3, GT2RS or whereabouts and use the proceeds to play the same game with a different manufacturer.

I don't think they have the power over consumers that Ferrari has, and even Ferrari's grip is somewhat shaky. And probably going down now that McLaren talk business, Aston Martin gangs up with Mercedes and Maserati takes their own steps.

If it does work out, I would be rejoiced. I hate flippers. If they ever make a Speedster 911 again I want fair competition with the other buyers(*).

(*) who needs a house.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Nonsense article based on some flippant comments by AP. I'll believe they're doing anything about it when I see it, and PCNA isn't doing a thing about it. I know of an instance where PCNA actually stepped in to make sure a VIP got an R knowing full well it was being flipped.

Porsche pointing the finger at flippers is like Trump blaming the media for his asshattery.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:23 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

For last 9 years, I have purchased and owned and driven the following Porsche's:

Modern:
2008 Porsche 997.1 GT3-RS (Viper Green)
2010 Porsche 997.2 GT3 Cup
2011 Porsche Boxster Spyder (Arctic Silver)
2011 Porsche 997.2 GT3-RS (White)
2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3 (White)
2016 Porsche 991.1 GT3-RS (White)
2017 Porsche 991.2 C4S (GT Silver) - CURRENT (DAILY)

Classic:
’67 911 (Polo Red)
’73 911T (Silver)
’73 911S (Irish Green) - CURRENT
’73 911 Carrera RS 2.7 (Tangerine #440) - CURRENT
’76 911 Carrera MFI ROW (Continental Orange)
’87 930 Turbo (White)
’91 964 3.3 Turbo (Red)

And I cannot track down a new GT3 allocation from any dealer; sure I could find one out of state; but how is that good customer service? I have never flipped a Porsche. I drive them. I track them. I love these cars. I represent their ideal customer and am loyal to them. It's hard to not get upset. And I am sure there are many who have bought many more than me in the same situation. If Porsche truly cared for enthusiast buyers, then they would ensure people like myself and others were able to get these cars without the fuss.

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 05-26-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:29 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^That's ridiculous

Quick Reply: Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?