Sponsored by:

Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 02:10 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by JJM1970
I would like to Porsche to make just enough GT3s for the market to maintain MSRP sales. I'm someone who, with a lot of planning and saving could just barely afford a GT3. I can't just walk into a dealership and pay over MSRP, or buy enough Porsches to get 'in' with them either. I'm a senior enlisted soldier on a more or less fixed income (although I do make a bit more when I'm getting shot at - combat pay and tax exclusion). I'm not a hedge fund manager or corporate exec.

I do however want to own a GT3 to drive and enjoy and keep, maybe forever if circumstances permit. I'd like to drive it on back roads and maybe track it, sometimes (consumables are expensive for someone like me). I would even take it to cars & coffee sometimes (gasp!), go to Porsche events, be part of the culture. I have a Rolex that I bought in '97 that I plan to give to my first daughter one day when I'm a lot older. I'd like to have a GT3 in the garage that when I die gets passed on to one of my daughters who will know that it was something I strove for, attained, valued, maintained, used, enjoyed and passed on. It will have sentimental value attached to it's actual $ value.

The market that's been created by demand outstripping supply has priced me out. It seems like it might be shifting to the point that I could pick up a second hand GT3 recently, but I'm not holding my breath. It's not like these things are made out of unobtanium (it's just steel, aluminum, magnesium, CF, plastic, etc). Porsche could make more if they wanted to.

I agree with a lot of what others on here have said:

1. lack of supply has created this situation, full stop
2. Porsche could/should build more, but not too many (or it becomes like the Corvette - a good car, but there are too many of them)
3. Porsche is losing out on some profit by not producing more cars - that profit is then taken by dealerships and flippers (I don't blame either party here for maximizing their positions)
4. Porsche should build just enough for demand +1

I also think Porsche is/should be the anti-Ferrari (full disclosure - I love Ferraris too). That is, a premium brand but obtainable by a larger portion of the population (with the exception of the hypercars,RSs, exclusives, number plate cars), but with all of the performance and a unique character. They can bring the GT3 back into the obtainable realm by us mere mortals by just producing more of them. I'm sure with the business experience the company has, they can figure out that number.

Please Porsche, just make more GT3s so those of us dreamers that save their pennies (or $100 bills in this case) can get one too. We'll make you proud by driving them and maybe embarrassing a 458 or 488 on a track or back road one day.

Bravo for a regular guy. And THANK YOU very much for your service to our country. Without people like you, none of us would have anything we have today.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:26 PM
Jim55
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to Porsche to make just enough GT3s for the market to maintain MSRP sales. I'm someone who, with a lot of planning and saving could just barely afford a GT3. I can't just walk into a dealership and pay over MSRP, or buy enough Porsches to get 'in' with them either. I'm a senior enlisted soldier on a more or less fixed income (although I do make a bit more when I'm getting shot at - combat pay and tax exclusion). I'm not a hedge fund manager or corporate exec.

I do however want to own a GT3 to drive and enjoy and keep, maybe forever if circumstances permit. I'd like to drive it on back roads and maybe track it, sometimes (consumables are expensive for someone like me). I would even take it to cars & coffee sometimes (gasp!), go to Porsche events, be part of the culture. I have a Rolex that I bought in '97 that I plan to give to my first daughter one day when I'm a lot older. I'd like to have a GT3 in the garage that when I die gets passed on to one of my daughters who will know that it was something I strove for, attained, valued, maintained, used, enjoyed and passed on. It will have sentimental value attached to it's actual $ value.

The market that's been created by demand outstripping supply has priced me out. It seems like it might be shifting to the point that I could pick up a second hand GT3 recently, but I'm not holding my breath. It's not like these things are made out of unobtanium (it's just steel, aluminum, magnesium, CF, plastic, etc). Porsche could make more if they wanted to.

2. Porsche could/should build more, but not too many (or it becomes like the Corvette - a good car, but there are too many of them)
3. Porsche is losing out on some profit by not producing more cars - that profit is then taken by dealerships and flippers (I don't blame either party here for maximizing their positions)

I also think Porsche is/should be the anti-Ferrari (full disclosure - I love Ferraris too). That is, a premium brand but obtainable by a larger portion of the population (with the exception of the hypercars,RSs, exclusives, number plate cars), but with all of the performance and a unique character. They can bring the GT3 back into the obtainable realm by us mere mortals by just producing more of them. I'm sure with the business experience the company has, they can figure out that number.

Please Porsche, just make more GT3s so those of us dreamers that save their pennies (or $100 bills in this case) can get one too. We'll make you proud by driving them and maybe embarrassing a 458 or 488 on a track or back road one day.
Exactly my feelings too.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:07 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,027 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Thank you for your service to our Country. It's folks like you that should be able to get a GT3 at MSRP and not scumbag flippers. I hope you get one my friend and enjoy the car just like I plan on enjoying the one that I get.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:34 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
I think there would be FAR FAR less demand for the GT cars if they were easier to get. Hype and exclusivity pull the heart strings of luxury buyers. I think they should make more GT cars because I want to buy one without having to give a dealer fallacio, however I'm not sure they are willing to test when the vicious cycle (more supply ->leads to easier to get cars ->lowers prices ->less exclusivity, ->less C&C status, ->more depreciation) that starts to reduce demand. BMW is now faced with this. They have eroded the status of their brand to the point that they are no longer in demand, and now in trouble. I do enjoy their depreciation, as you can buy a new M car for about 60 cents on the dollar within a year.
actually the opposite is true the hassle has sent some of us to Mclaren

"Hype and exclusivity pull the heart strings of luxury buyers" yes, stupid ones

The reason M cars depreciate so much is they are overpriced to begin with, change the additional cost to mimic 911 carrera S vs GT3 and they'd have better rates
Old 07-09-2017, 03:55 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,364 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
The reason M cars depreciate so much is they are overpriced to begin with, change the additional cost to mimic 911 carrera S vs GT3 and they'd have better rates
Copycats just want to be like MB AMGs.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:45 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 170 Posts

So much truth here.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:34 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
actually the opposite is true the hassle has sent some of us to Mclaren

"Hype and exclusivity pull the heart strings of luxury buyers" yes, stupid ones

that sounds like something Batman would say.

a Mclaren is 350 for a good one (vs 170k for a gt3) and will depreciate 30ish percent in the first year or two. You clearly don't have a budget concern like a lot of porsche buyers do. That does give one some opportunity to just flip the bird at the problem and call everyone stupid. I would love to do that.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:40 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

that sounds like something Batman would say.

a Mclaren is 350 for a good one (vs 170k for a gt3) and will depreciate 30ish percent in the first year or two. You clearly don't have a budget concern like a lot of porsche buyers do. That does give one some opportunity to just flip the bird at the problem and call everyone stupid. I would love to do that.
I don't understand what you're saying? what I am saying is the GT3 is a great bargain, Mclaren buyers are probably same people who buy Porsche GT cars, Im glad Porsche maintains its value, I can't buy a new BMW M car because the depreciation is so harsh I buy a car to drive, it needs to impress me not the kardashians, although a gt3RS does that, I would take the depreciation hit if I had to because Im a car enthusiast not a commodities trader
Attached Images  

Last edited by dark knight; 07-10-2017 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:32 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 141 Posts

Is that a man-ual trannny RS?
Old 07-10-2017, 11:39 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
i see what you did there.

lol
Old 07-10-2017, 12:43 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

You have a stronger stomach than I do. After spending a new M3 on my RS to enjoy it, I had to find fresher waters. Not turning out to be much better with the GT4 though, so regretting the move.
I'm just financially stupider than most :-)
Old 07-10-2017, 12:59 PM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
Old 07-10-2017, 02:49 PM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha Man-ual parts MIGHT have been removed as per driver's request
Old 07-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This. Great words.

Thank you for serving our country.

You should get a GT3 just as easily as some Saudi oil prince, even if he buys 6 Porsches per year.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:51 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
This. Great words.

Thank you for serving our country.

You should get a GT3 just as easily as some Saudi oil prince, even if he buys 6 Porsches per year.
+1

Quick Reply: Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?