Sponsored by:

Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 12:53 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 854 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Nope.. it's all relative... apples to apples exactly in fact, just more zeros in each transaction.

You think the car dealer who bought the R to flip it is motivated by anything more than the desire for a quick profit? Or you think he wasn't the kid who collected sneakers when he was younger?
Hustling is hustling. It's all the same emotions which drive people to not consider all factors. Just because we are equating sneaker flippers or those who buy Supreme brand clothes to sell on eBay to a lower socioeconomic spectrum, doesn't make the driving force behind those decisions any different. Lots of "keeping up with the kardashian crowd" as you say here on Rennlist also. it's all the same mr knight.
Agreed. If you buy an R for $400 to flip for $450, it's just hustling on a bigger scale. Now if the market gives way, like it seems to be doing for the R and Yeezys, then watch out.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:32 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Nope.. it's all relative... apples to apples exactly in fact, just more zeros in each transaction.

You think the car dealer who bought the R to flip it is motivated by anything more than the desire for a quick profit? Or you think he wasn't the kid who collected sneakers when he was younger?
Hustling is hustling. It's all the same emotions which drive people to not consider all factors. Just because we are equating sneaker flippers or those who buy Supreme brand clothes to sell on eBay to a lower socioeconomic spectrum, doesn't make the driving force behind those decisions any different. Lots of "keeping up with the kardashian crowd" as you say here on Rennlist also. it's all the same mr knight.
True
Old 07-07-2017, 01:42 AM
Jim55
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche should crack down on this flipper or at least the dealer who is giving them an allocation. They also had two .2 GT3 positions they flipped for $30k each before they even configured the orders.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/car...-position.html
Old 07-07-2017, 10:30 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim55
Porsche should crack down on this flipper or at least the dealer who is giving them an allocation. They also had two .2 GT3 positions they flipped for $30k each before they even configured the orders.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/car...-position.html
Lol. Figures...

Originally Posted by AMG USA
Why is flipping cars different from flipping anything?

Personally, i love a free market economy. I don't make the market, I just live in it. If I can make a profit buying low and selling high, then good for me. If I speculate and the market drops, then I live with the consequences.
The financial industry has consistently needed to create new laws to make tactics that are profitable but harmful illegal. Without those laws consumers get taken advantage of by monopolies, insider trading, pyramid schemes and other shady dealings that both hurt them and undermines the market.

Flipping hurts customers by driving prices up. It undermines the market and hurts Porsche by pissing good customers off. It's bad for everyone except the flipper. It may not yet be "illegal" but it's little wonder that in the absence of laws Porsche and other car companies are attempting make their own "laws" to prevent it. And it's little wonder that until those laws can take effect you won't find much love from those of us you're hurting here.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:54 AM
cebe
Pro

Received 454 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Porsche acting against speculation in some European countries

I have been told by different sources (including Porsche official Centers) that in Switzerland and probably in Germany the upcoming GT2 RS can be had only with a lease contract directly with Porsche and a minimum 6 months" holding period" plus 30 days notice for re-payment.

This is apparently discouraging "flipping" by some extent.

Hopefully more allocations available for "bona fide" buyers that intend to actually use the car.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:14 AM
Coincident
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A simple way to end flippers. Make as many cars as the market demands. Problem solved. What's with this limited production BS.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:45 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Coincident
A simple way to end flippers. Make as many cars as the market demands. Problem solved. What's with this limited production BS.
Heres the multi-million dollar question though: How many Porsche GT buyers would drop off if the car depreciated 30-40% in a few years like the Corvettes, R8s, regular 911s, GT-R's, Vipers, Macs, AMGs, etc. Part of the allure of the GT models is the very strong resale value.

How many of y'all would maybe not buy a $170k GT3 or $230k 3RS or $300k+ 2RS if you were going to eat a guaranteed 30-40% depreciation in a few years. It's a big dollar hit.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:19 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Quikag
Heres the multi-million dollar question though: How many Porsche GT buyers would drop off if the car depreciated 30-40% in a few years like the Corvettes, R8s, regular 911s, GT-R's, Vipers, Macs, AMGs, etc. Part of the allure of the GT models is the very strong resale value.

How many of y'all would maybe not buy a $170k GT3 or $230k 3RS or $300k+ 2RS if you were going to eat a guaranteed 30-40% depreciation in a few years. It's a big dollar hit.
30% hit over 3 years is not bad at all. I'll take it. I'd love to end the whole 'own the car for nothing' phenomena. It's annoying and it's not true if you plan to drive the car.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I'd love to end the whole 'own the car for nothing' phenomena. It's annoying and it's not true if you plan to drive the car.
Agree.

And it's not true in the end if you drive it. I've spent an RS on my RS over the last 4 years :-)
Old 07-07-2017, 12:39 PM
Gtsilvergt4
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Demand(desire) for these cars would absolutely greatly diminish if they depreciated 30% over 2-3 years like 911's. If I thought I could get a GT3 for 30% off in 2 years, I would wait to pick up a low mileage one then. That said, Ill be buying taking delivery of a new one in February, and if it falls in value 50% in 4-5 years, no big deal. I plan on keeping it long term anyway,
Old 07-07-2017, 12:56 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Agreed 100%....Certain cars should be "limited" with numbered plaques etc. GT3/GT4 should be as many as we can order. Not 6 a year when we have 50+ orders for the car. The GT3RS and GT2RS should be more limited then the standard GT3...but not so that I get a handful of cars only. Hopefully Porsche will see the light and go to an order only based allocation system with the GT cars. That will prevent flipping and raising the MSRP will certainly help like in the case of the GT2RS. If their is another GT3RS I hope it is $230,000 as the current GT3 is priced way to low for the car you are getting. Also this 918 Spyder program needs to be modified by Porsche at the allocation stage by actually just building 270 EXTRA of every GT car so they do not screw over all of the other loyal customers who did not buy a 918.....
Old 07-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Jim55
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a lot more people would be driving Porsche GT cars like Andreas invisions. Porsche created this and GT cars have gone the way of Ferrari where you never see one with high miles. That's what in my mind set Porsche apart from other brands, you could drive them and it didn't hurt the value much. I bet half the people on the allocation list for a .2 GT3 would drop off if they heard Porsche will make a GT3 for everyone that wants one at MSRP. It seems like the only Porsche's being driven a lot are SUV's or sedans. It's sad that the really badass cars they make with all the best technology tend to sit and collect dust so they don't lose value.

Last edited by Jim55; 07-07-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 568 Likes on 314 Posts

It's not limited production, it's production limited. In any case, let's say Porsche hires a bunch more employees, buys more manufacturing equipment, and orders more parts from suppliers to increase their GT production 2x or even 3x. Let's say their next model isn't in as high a demand. Do they now have a bunch of layoffs? What do they do with the unused equipment? Are their suppliers now screwed because they also needed to buy more equipment and employees? It's easy to say "make as many as possible" but in the real world, it doesn't quite work like that.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:05 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Agree.

And it's not true in the end if you drive it. I've spent an RS on my RS over the last 4 years :-)
You have a stronger stomach than I do. After spending a new M3 on my RS to enjoy it, I had to find fresher waters. Not turning out to be much better with the GT4 though, so regretting the move.

I think a lot more people would be buying Porsche GT cars like Andreas invisions. Porsche created this and GT cars have gone the way of Ferrari where you never see one with high miles. That's what in my mind set Porsche apart from other brands, you could drive them and it didn't hurt the value much. I bet half the people on the allocation list for a .2 GT3 would drop off if they heard Porsche will make a GT3 for everyone that wants one at MSRP. It seems like the only Porsche's being driven a lot are SUV's or sedans. It's sad that the really badass cars they make with all the best technology tend to sit and collect dust so they don't lose value.
I think there would be FAR FAR less demand for the GT cars if they were easier to get. Hype and exclusivity pull the heart strings of luxury buyers. I think they should make more GT cars because I want to buy one without having to give a dealer fallacio, however I'm not sure they are willing to test when the vicious cycle (more supply ->leads to easier to get cars ->lowers prices ->less exclusivity, ->less C&C status, ->more depreciation) that starts to reduce demand. BMW is now faced with this. They have eroded the status of their brand to the point that they are no longer in demand, and now in trouble. I do enjoy their depreciation, as you can buy a new M car for about 60 cents on the dollar within a year.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:24 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think a lot more people would be buying Porsche GT cars like Andreas invisions. Porsche created this and GT cars have gone the way of Ferrari where you never see one with high miles. That's what in my mind set Porsche apart from other brands, you could drive them and it didn't hurt the value much. I bet half the people on the allocation list for a .2 GT3 would drop off if they heard Porsche will make a GT3 for everyone that wants one at MSRP. It seems like the only Porsche's being driven a lot are SUV's or sedans. It's sad that the really badass cars they make with all the best technology tend to sit and collect dust so they don't lose value.
This. The GT cars are unfortunately going the way of Ferrari. I think Porsche should produce more, but not overproduce like BMW.

A true demand -1 situation would keep the cars from depreciating like an M4, yet allow the people who want GTs to acquire them.

A.P. once made a reference to trying to create a demand -1 market. Yet we all know that is complete bull. Porsche is building demand -50%!

THAT is the problem.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cracking Down on Flippers?