Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 reviews thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 03:18 PM
ML///
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel all this talk of third pedal vs two pedal is market hype. If feel like you can see it more if you go back and watch the Cayman GT4 and 991.1 GT3 reviews. It's funny because the .1 revved to 9k and I feel like it wasn't mentioned as much. The .2 revs to 9k and its mentioned a ton. I just feel like these guys are pumping the market. It doesn't mean I don't want one but it's helping understand why I would want the car.

Okay rant over - more manual reviews please. I would love for a video to show under side of the car.
Old 05-30-2017, 04:16 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ML///
I feel all this talk of third pedal vs two pedal is market hype. If feel like you can see it more if you go back and watch the Cayman GT4 and 991.1 GT3 reviews. It's funny because the .1 revved to 9k and I feel like it wasn't mentioned as much. The .2 revs to 9k and its mentioned a ton. I just feel like these guys are pumping the market. It doesn't mean I don't want one but it's helping understand why I would want the car.

Okay rant over - more manual reviews please. I would love for a video to show under side of the car.
The 9K revs did jump out at me from the old .1 reviews, e.g. Jethro and Chris Harris both went on about it. It was a big thing, even for a 3.8.

Then it went down a smidge with the RS at 4 liters...

So, with 4 liters and 9K the .2 is understandably a big talking point again because those two numbers are finally available in one engine.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,978 Likes on 2,816 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
The 9K revs did jump out at me from the old .1 reviews, e.g. Jethro and Chris Harris both went on about it. It was a big thing, even for a 3.8.

Then it went down a smidge with the RS at 4 liters...

So, with 4 liters and 9K the .2 is understandably a big talking point again because those two numbers are finally available in one engine.
Yes, and among the Manual Porsches, it's the highest redline by 500 rpm (911R, 997.2 GT3/RS/4.0 were all 8,500 rpm)...
Old 05-30-2017, 06:12 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,333 Likes on 2,466 Posts

Is there a Chris Harris review yet?
Old 05-30-2017, 06:26 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Is there a Chris Harris review yet?
Yep, but it may not be on YouTube yet. It was released on the Top Gear site.

DriveTribe are doing the same thing, presumably to push more traffic to their sites...

https://www.topgear.com/videos/chris...orsche-911-gt3
Old 05-30-2017, 06:57 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,333 Likes on 2,466 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Yep, but it may not be on YouTube yet. It was released on the Top Gear site.

DriveTribe are doing the same thing, presumably to push more traffic to their sites...

https://www.topgear.com/videos/chris...orsche-911-gt3

Looks like Porsche nailed it with this car (assuming that it proves reliable and durable - remains to be seen).

Given that it's offered with both PDK and manual, I can't see how all previous Porsche GT cars (including the R) aren't going to be devalued by this thing arriving on the scene.

Next RS is going to be ridiculous ...
Old 05-30-2017, 11:02 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ML///
It's funny because the .1 revved to 9k and I feel like it wasn't mentioned as much. The .2 revs to 9k and its mentioned a ton.
It was definitely a big deal in .1 reviews, but cars quickly starting catching fire when deliveries started, the global stop-sale was issued, and all cars out there were recalled. When the redline was pulled back on the flagship RS and R, it seemed a foregone conclusion that Porsche had pushed too far with the 9k redline.

I don't think anybody was expecting another 9k motor, especially in the 'base' GT3, hence all of the hype.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:44 AM
camjan
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All of the reviews I've seen (including the Harris one) seem to be flawless.. does anyone have a legitimate criticism? Could this thing be even better than what we were hoping for?
Old 05-31-2017, 10:17 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by camjan
All of the reviews I've seen (including the Harris one) seem to be flawless.. does anyone have a legitimate criticism? Could this thing be even better than what we were hoping for?
I have criticism. The whole thing smells of sour grapes.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:22 AM
bucklesandrings
Advanced

Default 991.2 GT3 Review

I have a worry with this new GT3 engine with no way of adjusting the valves. I mean why does every other engine in Christendom need valve adjustments? Remember pre 1989 what a job it was to have a Carrera engine serviced? So now it is suddenly superfluous? How is that possible? Better metalurgy?

Can someone explain this please.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:39 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bucklesandrings
I have a worry with this new GT3 engine with no way of adjusting the valves. I mean why does every other engine in Christendom need valve adjustments? Remember pre 1989 what a job it was to have a Carrera engine serviced? So now it is suddenly superfluous? How is that possible? Better metalurgy?

Can someone explain this please.
The Carrera's hydraulic valves weren't introduced until 1995 (with 993). And it was common to remove the hydraulic lifters from modified 993's built for the track (solid lifters are more reliable at high revs). Adjusting wasn't that difficult (I got to the point where I could do it in a about 90 minutes including oil change and valve cover gaskets on my 73).

The new GT3 has a way to adjust the valves (with shims rather than by turning a screwdriver). It's just that it's claimed to be unnecessary.

However, any adjustments that become necessary are included in warranty for the life of the car. So, there is no financial worry about it (just the worry of having your motor opened at the dealer which I am not too keen about - and it may even require dropping the motor on the 991 to get access). No way to know if AP's claims are true here without just waiting and seeing...
Old 06-05-2017, 09:58 AM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
However, any adjustments that become necessary are included in warranty for the life of the car.
Is it ever explicitly stated that valve clearances if required are going to be warrantied for the initial manufacturer period nevermind for life? In every other engine that requires them, it is part of the servce schedule rather than a warrantied item.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:54 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by isv
Is it ever explicitly stated that valve clearances if required are going to be warrantied for the initial manufacturer period nevermind for life? In every other engine that requires them, it is part of the servce schedule rather than a warrantied item.
AP stated so in an interview, but I haven't seen the owners manual yet...
Old 06-06-2017, 07:43 AM
bucklesandrings
Advanced

Originally Posted by GrantG
The Carrera's hydraulic valves weren't introduced until 1995 (with 993). And it was common to remove the hydraulic lifters from modified 993's built for the track (solid lifters are more reliable at high revs). Adjusting wasn't that difficult (I got to the point where I could do it in a about 90 minutes including oil change and valve cover gaskets on my 73).

The new GT3 has a way to adjust the valves (with shims rather than by turning a screwdriver). It's just that it's claimed to be unnecessary.

However, any adjustments that become necessary are included in warranty for the life of the car. So, there is no financial worry about it (just the worry of having your motor opened at the dealer which I am not too keen about - and it may even require dropping the motor on the 991 to get access). No way to know if AP's claims are true here without just waiting and seeing...
Thanks for that. I did not realise there were shims, I thought it was rigid. So then the next question is does it have finger followers and does it have the contentious ceramic coating on the lobes??
Old 06-06-2017, 09:07 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 419 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by bucklesandrings
Thanks for that. I did not realise there were shims, I thought it was rigid. So then the next question is does it have finger followers and does it have the contentious ceramic coating on the lobes??
Check out the GT3 engine thread.

Due to lower pressure on the cams the stress level on the cams are lower. This is because PAG dropped the hydraulic adjusters which gave more pressure on the cams and also needed higher oil pressure. Lower oil pressure -> More HP for you to play with.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 reviews thread.