Sponsored by:

991.2 GT3 reviews thread.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:30 PM
Hit Apex
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by fun2k
Slightly OT but been driving the manual c7 z06 for a long time now, i prefer the steering in the softer setting(touring mode). There is some steering column shake on (slow down speed bumps) but for the road it is a very fun car to drive although if you turn off traction and it will kill you. Even in third gear with a heavy foot the back comes around so easily.In the rain in 4th and steering dead straight the car still wants to kill you. The biggest let down here is the suspension department somehow it just doesn't feel as sold as a gt3(last i drove the RS was miles better in feel and suspension).I mean who puts 650 lb ft of torque to the rears with leaf suspension??? Off throttle the car has huge mechanical grip and very easy to place on the road but on mid to heavy right foot application this is a widowmaker. I think this car is a good stable mate for the gt3 and complete polar opposite.Oh and its impossible to over heat on the road if anyone is concerned(it does have that reputation on the track).

C7 z06 short review:

Positives:
engine makes an amazing sound
shifter is great
a lot of road grip(off throttle)
big difference in suspension tour mode vs track mode (you can feel the diff)
seat are very comfortable for the road and with cooling
no squeeks or rattles inside (but others have this on their cars)
bose stereo not bad

negatives:
suspension
clutch(non existent engagement point)
does not feel as planted or as solid or tight as the gt3s
leather quality good but not great

For the money I think its a great car,I will wait till i drive my manual gt3 to see which car stays in the garage longer (991gt3 and RS are gone)
I just don't like flappy paddles hence no desire to own a ferrari or mac or lambo or anything else for that matter.If no manuals were available today i would go for the 488 spider.

I'm a C7 Z06 owner as well and have been very impressed with the car. I agree with pretty much everything you've stated. The car is kind of scary when you approach the limit on track, really just too much torque. That said, all these .2 GT3 reviews are making my ***** tingle. I need one.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:51 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by Daggie
Basically he says the GT3 makes less sense then a GTS, unless you drive it on a racetrack: too loud, uncomfortable, scary, ... He also said it feels slow compared to a GTS, unless you use the upper revs. But it all comes together on a racetrack.
He is making my ***** tingle too

All these "GT" cars need to be driven in the upper revs- the GT4 needs to be wringed out especially
Old 05-02-2017, 09:14 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Interesting. Having aligned the C7Z to DSC specs, no issues on rear stepping out. Next step is the DSC tuning for the Magnetic dampers which should serve to put power down with no issues. Hell of a car for the money.

One can have their pick of their power/trans/lifestyle dish on a platter in the form of Z51/GS/Z06 and the next ZR1 or Z06x. The steering on all the current Vettes is excellent in Sport/Track.

All that being said, one cannot deny the high rpm crescendo of the 9A1 motor. Reliability is something to watch for over time. Either ways as an enthusiast, I am so happy for this new GT iteration.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:51 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Daggie
Basically he says the GT3 makes less sense then a GTS, unless you drive it on a racetrack: too loud, uncomfortable, scary, ... He also said it feels slow compared to a GTS, unless you use the upper revs. But it all comes together on a racetrack.
Every reason he doesn't like the GT3 on the road is basically every reason I want it.

Sounds like a guy who should spend the rest of his life in a turbo, or a Lexus... do they make a turbo Lexus??
Old 05-02-2017, 10:16 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by IrishAndy
Every reason he doesn't like the GT3 on the road is basically every reason I want it.

Sounds like a guy who should spend the rest of his life in a turbo, or a Lexus... do they make a turbo Lexus??
Do not mock Lexus

I do DD a Lexus GS350 "F" Package and love the car. Lease is up next year and will get another. Why?? They treat their Customers like gold. An A-plus for CS. Plus, as the VP of my Company I do not want to show up in a Mercedes or BMW so allows me to be humble which I am sincerely but do not need to draw attentiom
Old 05-02-2017, 10:17 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

[QUOTE=Jimmy-D;14155317]Do not mock Lexus

I do DD a Lexus GS350 "F" Package and love the car. Lease is up next year and will get another. Why?? They treat their Customers like gold. An A-plus for CS. Plus, as the VP of my Company I do not want to show up in a Mercedes or BMW so allows me to be humble, which I am, sincerely but do not need to draw unnecessary attention
Old 05-02-2017, 10:29 PM
IrishAndy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Jimmy-D;14155320]
Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Do not mock Lexus

I do DD a Lexus GS350 "F" Package and love the car. Lease is up next year and will get another. Why?? They treat their Customers like gold. An A-plus for CS. Plus, as the VP of my Company I do not want to show up in a Mercedes or BMW so allows me to be humble, which I am, sincerely but do not need to draw unnecessary attention
Fair enough. After all, a GT3 is a fine car, but "a GS is a GS"
Old 05-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

My margarita just came thru my nose. That is freakin funny
Old 05-02-2017, 10:37 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,305 Likes on 685 Posts

A Lexus isn't that conservative compared to a BMW. Bimmers are everywhere. However, I could see why you might not want to drive a Mercedes for optics concerns.

Lexus do treat their customers well and are very reliable. Now that BMW has lost their way and now only produce soft touring cars, not sporty cars anymore, you're not missing anything in the driving department by driving a Lexus over a BMW.

However, I can't get past the ugly front radiators of the modern Lexus, just hideous.

Last edited by Drifting; 05-03-2017 at 02:15 AM.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:37 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 101 Posts

Hey, remember that one time when Porsche made the 997.2 GT3 faster than a 7.1RS?
Old 05-02-2017, 11:38 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
A Lexus isn't that conservative compared to a BMW. Bimmers are everywhere. However, I could see why you might not want to drive a Mercedes for optics concerns.

Lexus do treat their customers well and are very reliable. Now that BMW has lost their way and now only produce soft tourings cars not sporty cars anymore, you're not missing anything in the driving department by driving a Lexus over a BMW.

However, I can't get past the ugly front radiators of the modern Lexus, just hideous.
+1. Can't even get excited about the LC500 with a front grill only a mother could love.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:57 AM
neoprufrok
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by COTA1
McLaren. Best of both worlds, whisper quiet engine and mega depreciation
I don't think any of my neighbors would agree with your assessment of my engine.

Depreciation? I agree with you on that
Old 05-03-2017, 02:36 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 436 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
This is a new one. Thanks for posting.
I don't understand a word he's saying but the guy is having an orgasm shifting those gears manually!
Is just your sexual imagination because he's playing with a stick...
Old 05-03-2017, 04:32 AM
80s
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

What happened to Chris Harris review? Is it part 2/2 Drivetribe??
Old 05-03-2017, 08:25 AM
fun2k
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 80s
What happened to Chris Harris review? Is it part 2/2 Drivetribe??
After receiving threats from the 991 RS and R owners he is seeking for asylum in russia.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GT3 reviews thread.