Sponsored by:

I want to stay with the P car, but...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 02:18 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,005 Likes on 2,283 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Ugh. That is the weekend we are flying out to VA to get our new dog (I know, more excuses. LOL)
See you on 6/2. I might try to stick around for 6/3.
What kind of sorcery did you do to your GT4? I thought we had similar setups? Sure, we can swap cars if you want!
Stiffer springs, monoball suspension pieces, BBS wheels, BBI higher wing uprights with wing lip gurney, catless headers, plenum/TB with tune, LWFW, and Guard diff. I gotta keep tracking to make sure I fully test out my 3rd gear.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:40 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Stiffer springs, monoball suspension pieces, BBS wheels, BBI higher wing uprights with wing lip gurney, catless headers, plenum/TB with tune, LWFW, and Guard diff. I gotta keep tracking to make sure I fully test out my 3rd gear.
Cool! Would be interesting to see how the guards diff feels compared to stock
Old 04-11-2017, 03:08 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
This thread is touching on some very important trends:
This whole thing about track worthiness is poppycock. How many guys besides mooty or trackcar are actually doing more than a dozen track days a year?
I suspect there are a lot more people than you think......For example, this year I will do around 25 track/stage events split between two Porsches and a STI (and this excludes tuning days). However, I agree there are a lot more that don't track at all.

Also, the assumption that you have to have a GT3(RS) to have a track car is largely incorrect - sure its a very capable vehicle, but an ordinary car can be changed into a track weapon for a fraction of the cost. The gorilla in the room, of course, is the car is only as good as the driver. The car doesn't make the driver but rather its the driver that makes the car.

The city I live in (part time) has around two million people - there are plenty of GT cars around of various generations. Of these there are four that are well driven (1) 997 GT3 (2) 996 GT3 (3) 997 GT3 RS (4) 991 GT3RS. There are many more well driven Cayman Rs/S/GTS.

To put this in context, I went to a Cars and Coffee meeting a few weeks ago - there were plenty of GT cars of various generations, all in great shape - non of which I have seen at the track.

The moral of the story seems to be, at least here, GT3s are weekend drivers that in the main, don't see much track time..........I would put money down, that this is the case elsewhere and I would put money down that Porsche knows this. Thus in some respects Porsche is selling the image of "track car meets race driver"

Thus, it begs the question why one wouldn't choose a McLaren over a Porsche or AMG GT - there is plenty of competition to chose from these days.

Last edited by randr; 04-11-2017 at 03:26 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:57 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,062 Likes on 581 Posts

You guys are slowly coming to a conclusion that I made a while ago...

It's okay to have a dedicated track car or a race car. And it's ok to have your pretty car. And if the dealer doesn't want to sell you a pretty car or a dedicated track car then you need to find new paths.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:00 AM
RyanSD
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 147 Posts

570s is very tempting. Im not in a rush to get a 991.2 GT3. I already over paid for my 991. This will not happen again.

Are they gonna make a ton? or is it gonna be "limited"
Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 AM
Porschmich
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Trust me, Porcshe could care less about how many cars someone has bought or how long they've been customers for.

They can't even keep a database of its buyers to better market and take care of them. They barely manage to send out inaccurate service reminders. If they were smart, they'd have very detailed information on all their better customers. Think about it, some companies have better info about its customers who spend ALOT less than the $$$ most guys spend with Porsche. Quite bizarre.

The only ones they seem to cater to are the 918 VIP's, as if they're making or breaking the company.

Don't mean to seem like a downer, but some of this stuff really is disappointing.
All very true. Porsche database just sent me, and I read others, a letter to update their information. Wanted to know if I still have my R. Called and wanted to know if a mistake was made since I never got the car and maybe it
was sitting waiting for me to pick it up. What a joke. Didn't even list the cars I do own. Guess I can still go and speck an R out. Still on the Porsche configurator site. Are they really that busy to not take the car down?
Mclaren is not a option for me no dealers in my state.
So back to waiting on dealer lists for a GT car. Not paying over MSRP.
No car this time, will take my deposits and stop buying all Porsche new vehicles including the Cayenne's etc.
Bought both a GT3 and GT3RS back in 2010. As a matter of fact the GT3RS dealer had 2 allocations and wanted to know if I knew anyone else who wanted a car. Both cars were purchased out of state at bigger dealer at MSRP. Call them today and they could care less about your business.
Those days could come back and probably will so do not cross your long time customers Porsche and you dealers. If its not a limited number car let me buy one. Should be able to put a large non refundable deposit and get an allocation on a GT car. Let me buy a car at a dealer I like even if its a small dealer that would not normally get an allocation. Would stop the multi list names and give Porsche a genuine look at how many cars are really sold. So will wait again but my patience's is getting short.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:36 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I disagree with CJ that track worthiness is poppycock. Track worthiness to me is not only the "ability" of the car, but also everything that surrounds it !
If you are going to track a streetcar - Porsche GTx or Mac or whatever - even if only once a month, you WILL need third party assistance outside the usual official dealer network for your wheels, tires, brakes, brakepads, geometry and so on. Over here where I live, you are NOT getting that in the official dealer networks ! Not with Porsche, not with Mac... And guess what, there is NO third party support for Mac over here ! None whatsoever ! So trackworthiness in that definition is not poppycock. YMMV ...
Old 04-11-2017, 08:40 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

Sam, sorry you're getting mistreated by your dealer. Very short sighted of them.

I like the GT Porsches, but one of the appeals for me is the relatively low ownership cost. Buy at sticker and you can enjoy for a year or two with 8k miles or less and get out with little depreciation. Be nice to your dealer in those transactions and they should be nice to you too. As CJ said, leave meat on the bone for both sides.

As as soon as I have to start dealing with ADM, I'm personally out. There are too many good cars out there nowadays. In a world where a ZL1 1LE will soon spank 99% of the current GT Porsches for $70k or so at the track, I just don't need to spend $200k+ on an ADM GT car to go fast and have fun.

Paying a bigger ADM means you will likely suffer a five figure depreciation hit even on a GT Porsche. And you can't drive them much for fear of much worse depreciation. I'd rather drive a discounted Vette or super Camaro and be able to put 20-40k miles on it and ultimately only eat $10-20k of depreciation after a heavily discounted purchase price.

McLarens are awesome cars but beware of the dep curves there too.

I guess I'm getting more pragmatic as I get older. I'll spend half a mil on a car if I know the depreciation will be negligible and it's an epic car, But if the risks are higher I'll buy a "beater" GM performance car or similar and just have fun and not worry about the relatively low total ownership cost.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:42 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Regarding McLaren, I was watching a video (the smoking tire) about the 570 GT and Matt mentioned electrical issues he was having with it, and that literally every McLaren he had ever tested had something go wrong, electrically. He also said the thing drinks gas like crazy.

It was crazy fast, though, so there's that.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:35 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Regarding McLaren, I was watching a video (the smoking tire) about the 570 GT and Matt mentioned electrical issues he was having with it, and that literally every McLaren he had ever tested had something go wrong, electrically. He also said the thing drinks gas like crazy.

It was crazy fast, though, so there's that.
regarding gas: we say: Kraft comes from Kraftstoff.

when i picked up my 570s with full tank from Munic - i went 10min Autobahn - the fuel-gauge showed 7/8 full - but the range display said 60 miles to go O.O
Turbo engines do need 60-70l per km (3 or 4 miles per gallon) nothing unusual here. the thing is that the McL´s do the range calculation on a 15sek or 1/4 mile base which shocks in the first minute but is true at the end.
my record where 120miles with one full tank (i think its around 70 liters / 18 gallons capacity). based on stupid fast country road and autobahn driving.

electrical wise i have to agree: interior light sometimes not able to turn off if manualy turned on; interference noise (white noise) when radio turned of; etc...

chassis wise its fun. the 570s.
power wise a monster.
sound wise - its a dailydriver. outside better. inside way to silent for me. (i do have already the sports exhaust)
gearbox - pdk is better, smother, faster (in N or S Power mode the 570s cuts of the ignition on upshifts to reduce the engine rpm faster for smother shifts... but on T it engage the 2nd clutch inclusive extra power --> as it should )
emotions - for me to less. i only get them as soon i check the speedometer. and that i tell myself all the time: "holy sh*t!"
if you are a regular sunday cleaner you get mad with: the front radiators (gather leafes, insects, stones, etc), you will cry because the car scratches itself (doors), and the gaps / the body clearance is compareable with a F430, and some of them are filled with silicone

but i do like McLarens. as i like other english cars. as Lotus and Caterhams.

honest bottom line: if a 991RS would cost the same as the 570s (what it does MSRP wise) i would never buy a 570s. (again)
except you still seach young ladys to have fun with. than go 570s in a bright color and drive with the right door open. it takes you just 5sek and you will have a sexy codriver. or a 12 y/o boy sitting in.

Last edited by jo_ker; 04-11-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:09 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

CJ's shop is a class act. Just visited a few weeks ago. 570s is a great car... the Novitech package is cool IMO. Tempted, but decided to wait for the .2. My main hangup with Mac is that in Seattle there is no place to have maintained, etc. It's either up to Canada or down to Long Beach. Talk about a PITA. Ease of ownership is near the top of my list (don't want to deal with hassles), otherwise I'd have the Mac. McLaren needs a Seattle presence.... lots of customers and potential customers here
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2017, 05:22 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 253 Posts

I almost bought this car but no nose lift. I'm scared it won't clear my driveway or ramps. They were willing to deal if anyone is interested.
Originally Posted by STG
For this $$$, dealing with ZERO BS, and look what you get for the $$. Can probably even get a slight discount and PTS anytime. Supercar look indeed. Competes looks wise to a 918 Spyder than a $100K base Carrera like any GT car.

Attachment 1153473Attachment 1153478Attachment 1153474Attachment 1153475Attachment 1153479Attachment 1153477Attachment 1153476
Old 04-11-2017, 05:33 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
wow many gonig to mac.
i may have to try one.
Duh.

How many years ago did I tell you?
Old 04-11-2017, 05:47 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,643 Likes on 762 Posts

U say MAC I say AMG.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:40 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

McLaren's look way better in the flesh than in photo's, well accept the 12c which is sleep inducing, they're also grin creation devices when you're in them, the 675LT is just amazing, a hyper car for a fraction of the price.

If your dealer is mucking you about then tell them they lost a sale and try something different.

Quick Reply: I want to stay with the P car, but...