Sponsored by:

I want to stay with the P car, but...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 04:57 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
He didn't include you because you never come down to Buttonwillow.

That being said, I try hard to do over 20 days per session but hustling with 2 jobs and the rain will keep me under 20 this season (and I don't have a wife and kids to answer to either).
Lol! Touché! I know, I know. I need to do it!
Old 04-10-2017, 05:00 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,077 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
PCA GGR on May 27th and 28th at Buttonwillow is calling you....don't resist. Btw, I'll bring up my GT4 to TH for Mooty's private day on June 2nd and do the HOD days on the 3/4th.

You want to take my GT4 out for a few laps?
Old 04-10-2017, 05:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
Ha! I'm similar sized to you and can tell you right away tracking would be tricky due to the crammed legs and feet. Also I hate getting into the car when there is a crowd (there always seem to be one) as it's not a graceful procedure for a 6'4" 240 pounder. Once in though, you feel like you are held by a baseball glove.
I sat in one. don't know what model but it was white, on display and the fit and finish was horrific. My knee's where against the dash.

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
This thread is touching on some very important trends:
Buyers feeling marginalized
ADM and reverse of ADM

McLaren's are starting to claw market share mentally and awareness wise

Porsche dealers have cars the GT buyer does not necessarily "need"

1) the local guy who buys the most cars and provides the least headache wins. We have a customer who leases cayennes, panameras, wants a used RS, and is willing to sign ROFR on a GT3. He's getting one. --

second guy: out of towner- i get a call asking for 10k off every car on our small lot, tells me be buys cars from all over, gives me a hard time for not knowing he has a 430 spider, has 610 FICO. wants GT2RS PTS. Derp.

Everyone wants to be special as some have said, but some are more special. Pick your battles. I won't ever be Ferrari special, so I ask Ferrari dealer if something is possible. I have no leverage to demand. He has 40 guys waiting.

2) yes there has been an ADM on RS cars. If the OP who wanted "100k back"...so your RS is worth 260 in trade for a 160 car? Ok so you are charging a 50k ADM to dealer? Guys it goes both ways. I traded in my RS for sticker to park place in dallas. They sold me 911R at sticker. I could have sold RS on my own for 255 or whatever but didn't play games since I knew they could have yanked my R and ebay'd for 500k. At least I gave them a shot to resell a car that was marketable. And to be fair they sold to Merit who then upsold to someone else. Oh well.

If either party takes all meat off every bone other side starves. Gotta play nice- this is relationship part. Mutual risk, mutual headache.

3) mac is gaining ground. Sure they only sell 3500 cars worldwide for 200k+ but they're targeting all of you guys. As a mac dealer I am here to make deals. You will like the power, the handling, and HOLY ***** YOU CAN DO PTS ANYTIME. What do I have to lose by selling or leasing you an enjoyable car?? Nothing. Lets party. Lets go on a drive.

This whole thing about track worthiness is poppycock. How many guys besides mooty or trackcar are actually doing more than a dozen track days a year? That's what I consider light track use...once a month. Medium is 2 dozen. Heavy is 3 dozen. In the last two years i've done barely over 3 dozen track days.

12 p1
3 675LT
15 viper acr
6 BAC mono
2 RS
2 GT4
1 570S

Maintenance: Lots of tires. 1 set P1 pads. 1 set ACR pads.

4) porsche's tow vehicle is a cayenne TT. That's 140k or so for a 'barely long enough to tow' vehicle. You can buy a used raptor or a diesel f250 for 45k that will work better, cost less to insure etc. This is a big issue for VW group- they don't make a real "Truck" that GT drivers need.

We need a tow truck, we need a daily driver. The Macan GTS is a rad daily driver in the city. The new Panamera is a good sedan and steers better than the benz and feels super solid compared to a lexus etc.

But you're gonna spend 80-180k on those cars? Not everyone can afford a GT car AND a Sport Turismo Turbo.

This is an issue, and until Porsche makes an M3 for your daily...you either drive a second 911(?) or a car that miiiiiiiiiiight not fit your exact needs.

And the more expensive your GT car relative to income, the less other ancillary Porsches you buy.

THIS IS THE BIG MISCALCULATION- they think guys will scale down into a GTS or C2S. Nope. If you are a GT car guy you will sell everything else (blood, toys, stereo collection) but claw for dear life on the 2011 RS etc.

Customer profiling is important, so here is how I see it as a dealer. These are the essential questions I wonder about everyone I meet.

Top car sought out:
Daily driver car:
Wife car?
Kids car?
What car is he taking on a road trip?
Snow/ bad weather car?
Headache of a personality?
Annual mileage total?
Collector or flipper?
Will he keep in good shape?
Is there a trade?
Brand loyalty or dealer loyalty included?
Track guy?

So i'll go first (maybe this is my next thread)

1) BP23, GT2RS, P15, Ford GT,
2) Cayenne S hybrid Purpurite / M5 stick
3) Raptor
4) too young
5) road trip car: 911R, M5,
6) snow car: Cayenne S or Raptor
7) i only want weird spec
8) 20,000+ annually
9) collector, trade /1031 to upgrade/ consolidate
10) my cars are not clay bar/ waxed but mechanically tight always, I clear bra everything
11) yes i trade in- good CPO!
12) 100% dealer loyalty, 5 brands (Porsche, Mac, Ford, BMW, Audi) and open to MB and Ferrari for right models.
13) track guy: 675LT, P1, BAC, RS, 350R,
That's a lot of words and a lot to think about.
13. wow. you're right.

Hey, what am I? Chopped liver?
Discrimination. I didn't go there either.

Just because you have no purple RS, you shouldn't be excluded. Protest.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:45 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I sat in one. don't know what model but it was white, on display and the fit and finish was horrific. My knee's where against the dash.

That's a lot of words and a lot to think about.
13. wow. you're right.

Discrimination. I didn't go there either.

Just because you have no purple RS, you shouldn't be excluded. Protest.
Speaking of Buttonwillow, when are you coming out to the West Coast for your mancation part 3?
Old 04-10-2017, 07:09 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

I've always been a pure Porsche guy. I have bought 11 of them in the last 7 years. However, trying out other brands has been rejuvenating, enjoyable, and much less of a headache than current Porsche dealership treatment.

It's nice to go test drive a car you really want (even if it's "special") and pay MSRP or less for it. The 570S has a better fit and finish than the 650S and 12C. It's styling is more attractive than those 2 as well (esp the P1-like rear). The car is playful with ESC-dynamic or ESC-off and it is so fun to drive. The steering is way better than current Porsches as well. I also feel it is much easier to get in and out of with the lower door sills. The 570S is not as fast as the 650S on track, but it's not my main track car. Also, I'm not a race car driver, but I track a lot. Just being able to reliable track the 570S is all I need...and if you think it's slow, you're not driving right. The McLaren just feels and looks more special. The RS is my favorite track car so far, but in the end it's just another 911 that is overhyped and overpriced.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:11 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 776 Posts

^^ Exceplent post not to be trivialized. Thank you. :thumb up:
Old 04-10-2017, 07:18 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

You have my attention. How much is a properly optioned 570S?

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I've always been a pure Porsche guy. I have bought 11 of them in the last 7 years. However, trying out other brands has been rejuvenating, enjoyable, and much less of a headache than current Porsche dealership treatment.

It's nice to go test drive a car you really want (even if it's "special") and pay MSRP or less for it. The 570S has a better fit and finish than the 650S and 12C. It's styling is more attractive than those 2 as well (esp the P1-like rear). The car is playful with ESC-dynamic or ESC-off and it is so fun to drive. The steering is way better than current Porsches as well. I also feel it is much easier to get in and out of with the lower door sills. The 570S is not as fast as the 650S on track, but it's not my main track car. Also, I'm not a race car driver, but I track a lot. Just being able to reliable track the 570S is all I need...and if you think it's slow, you're not driving right. The McLaren just feels and looks more special. The RS is my favorite track car so far, but in the end it's just another 911 that is overhyped and overpriced.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:31 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts

Between your post KY and hopefully new ownership of the Chicago dealership I am slowly getting talked into the MClaren world. I'll have to check it out.

Tal
Old 04-10-2017, 07:32 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
This thread is touching on some very important trends:

Buyers feeling marginalized

ADM and reverse of ADM

McLaren's are starting to claw market share mentally and awareness wise

Porsche dealers have cars the GT buyer does not necessarily "need"

1) the local guy who buys the most cars and provides the least headache wins. We have a customer who leases cayennes, panameras, wants a used RS, and is willing to sign ROFR on a GT3. He's getting one. --

second guy: out of towner- i get a call asking for 10k off every car on our small lot, tells me be buys cars from all over, gives me a hard time for not knowing he has a 430 spider, has 610 FICO. wants GT2RS PTS. Derp.

Everyone wants to be special as some have said, but some are more special. Pick your battles. I won't ever be Ferrari special, so I ask Ferrari dealer if something is possible. I have no leverage to demand. He has 40 guys waiting.

2) yes there has been an ADM on RS cars. If the OP who wanted "100k back"...so your RS is worth 260 in trade for a 160 car? Ok so you are charging a 50k ADM to dealer? Guys it goes both ways. I traded in my RS for sticker to park place in dallas. They sold me 911R at sticker. I could have sold RS on my own for 255 or whatever but didn't play games since I knew they could have yanked my R and ebay'd for 500k. At least I gave them a shot to resell a car that was marketable. And to be fair they sold to Merit who then upsold to someone else. Oh well.

If either party takes all meat off every bone other side starves. Gotta play nice- this is relationship part. Mutual risk, mutual headache.

3) mac is gaining ground. Sure they only sell 3500 cars worldwide for 200k+ but they're targeting all of you guys. As a mac dealer I am here to make deals. You will like the power, the handling, and HOLY ***** YOU CAN DO PTS ANYTIME. What do I have to lose by selling or leasing you an enjoyable car?? Nothing. Lets party. Lets go on a drive.

This whole thing about track worthiness is poppycock. How many guys besides mooty or trackcar are actually doing more than a dozen track days a year? That's what I consider light track use...once a month. Medium is 2 dozen. Heavy is 3 dozen. In the last two years i've done barely over 3 dozen track days.

12 p1
3 675LT
15 viper acr
6 BAC mono
2 RS
2 GT4
1 570S

Maintenance: Lots of tires. 1 set P1 pads. 1 set ACR pads.

4) porsche's tow vehicle is a cayenne TT. That's 140k or so for a 'barely long enough to tow' vehicle. You can buy a used raptor or a diesel f250 for 45k that will work better, cost less to insure etc. This is a big issue for VW group- they don't make a real "Truck" that GT drivers need.

We need a tow truck, we need a daily driver. The Macan GTS is a rad daily driver in the city. The new Panamera is a good sedan and steers better than the benz and feels super solid compared to a lexus etc.

But you're gonna spend 80-180k on those cars? Not everyone can afford a GT car AND a Sport Turismo Turbo.

This is an issue, and until Porsche makes an M3 for your daily...you either drive a second 911(?) or a car that miiiiiiiiiiight not fit your exact needs.

And the more expensive your GT car relative to income, the less other ancillary Porsches you buy.

THIS IS THE BIG MISCALCULATION- they think guys will scale down into a GTS or C2S. Nope. If you are a GT car guy you will sell everything else (blood, toys, stereo collection) but claw for dear life on the 2011 RS etc.

Customer profiling is important, so here is how I see it as a dealer. These are the essential questions I wonder about everyone I meet.

Top car sought out:
Daily driver car:
Wife car?
Kids car?
What car is he taking on a road trip?
Snow/ bad weather car?
Headache of a personality?
Annual mileage total?
Collector or flipper?
Will he keep in good shape?
Is there a trade?
Brand loyalty or dealer loyalty included?
Track guy?

So i'll go first (maybe this is my next thread)

1) BP23, GT2RS, P15, Ford GT,
2) Cayenne S hybrid Purpurite / M5 stick
3) Raptor
4) too young
5) road trip car: 911R, M5,
6) snow car: Cayenne S or Raptor
7) i only want weird spec
8) 20,000+ annually
9) collector, trade /1031 to upgrade/ consolidate
10) my cars are not clay bar/ waxed but mechanically tight always, I clear bra everything
11) yes i trade in- good CPO!
12) 100% dealer loyalty, 5 brands (Porsche, Mac, Ford, BMW, Audi) and open to MB and Ferrari for right models.
13) track guy: 675LT, P1, BAC, RS, 350R,
Thanks for your thought provoking and thoughtful post CJ.

Tal
Old 04-10-2017, 07:35 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Hey, what am I? Chopped liver?
What's wrong with chopped liver?
Old 04-10-2017, 07:47 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Tell me that PP is still treating you right? You are lucky that you don't have to deal with the sort of dealerships that are present on the west coast (with a few exceptions).
Old 04-10-2017, 07:52 PM
chaosoul
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tell me that PP is still treating you right? You are lucky that you don't have to deal with the sort of dealerships that are present on the west coast (with a few exceptions).

Hmmmmm.... interesting that out of the dozens of posts that everyone is considering of jumping... McLaren is the only alternative haha. Obviously 570S is one of the closest price points.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:09 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chaosoul
Hmmmmm.... interesting that out of the dozens of posts that everyone is considering of jumping... McLaren is the only alternative haha. Obviously 570S is one of the closest price points.
Oh believe me...if Porsche GT cars were turbo or hybrid turbos, I'd strongly consider a Mac. The draw on the NA engines is strong though.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:16 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Oh believe me...if Porsche GT cars were turbo or hybrid turbos, I'd strongly consider a Mac. The draw on the NA engines is strong though.
Once the they lose the NA, nothing else is special.

If McLaren was even smarter, they'd send some guys out to these boards and poach buyers off of Porsche. If I was marketing for them, I'd give out deals and roll out the red carpet to get them hooked or give them a try. They have a BIG opportunity here. The future for McLaren looks very bright with much upside being more exclusive and a sports car ONLY company.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:22 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Trust me, Porsche could care less about how many cars someone has bought or how long they've been customers for.

They can't even keep a database of its buyers to better market and take care of them. They barely manage to send out inaccurate service reminders. If they were smart, they'd have very detailed information on all their better customers. Think about it, some companies have better info about its customers who spend ALOT less than the $$$ most guys spend with Porsche. Quite bizarre.

The only ones they seem to cater to are the 918 VIP's, as if they're making or breaking the company.

Don't mean to seem like a downer, but some of this stuff really is disappointing.

Last edited by STG; 04-11-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: I want to stay with the P car, but...