Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:28 PM
timwu12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are ppl even able to get their names placed on a waiting list if you're out of town?

all the dealers I've talked to always ask if you're local as the first question and once you say no, they tell you no thanks.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:29 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,784 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoM4
It's most likely a blend of selling at the highest price they can and also trying to build a mutual beneficial relationship.

For example...

If I have 2 buyers and one is local and one is out of state, the local buyer has bought cars from me and services them with me and will probably do the same going forward but will only pay a $25k markup whereas the out of state buyer will pay $50k with no promise of more business... then the dealer will need to choose what's the better business strategy.

Selling all your cars at $50k over to out of state/ potentially non-repeat customers is great in the short term but pisses off all your local clients
Exactly. They all have to balance out who gets the cars, and at what price, based on a variety of factors.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:39 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by timwu12
are ppl even able to get their names placed on a waiting list if you're out of town?

all the dealers I've talked to always ask if you're local as the first question and once you say no, they tell you no thanks.
I think it depends on when you called them. If you call now, for instance, they probably have full lists and will only put names down if you want to pay premiums.

I called an out-of-state dealer last summer and was #1 on their list after any VIPs. As of right now, I am #1 for PDK, #2 or 3 overall. They took a $2500 deposit and agreed to MSRP. A month after i made the deposit I flew there to meet them (and go to a friend's wedding). Everything was quiet until March 8th when they called and had me submit a V070 build. Never bought anything from them, let alone a Porsche.

The guy told me he looked me up and made sure I was a legit buyer, not a flipper, for what it's worth. They also said they might charge market price or may not, so I said don't contact me if it's not MSRP.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:06 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

They took a $2500 deposit and agreed to MSRP.

They also said they might charge market price or may not, so I said don't contact me if it's not MSRP.
Wait, what? When will they decide this? You don't have a buyer's order with the price signed off on?
Old 03-27-2017, 02:14 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
Wait, what? When will they decide this? You don't have a buyer's order with the price signed off on?
Let me clarify, when I initially made the deposit they said that they weren't sure if they were going to sell the first few at market price or not. At the same time they told me that if I was fine with not getting the first few allocations due to market pricing, then I can continue with the deposit.

As of now, it looks like they decided to sell at MSRP. I never signed anything. Everything was verbal.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by timwu12

Same here. I had one dealer consider it for a couple days and then say no. The others either said no right up front or wanted a premium, though the majority simply said their lists were already too full, so it was a moot issue.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:34 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah the local here weighs the market before selling then makes a decision based on the feel of what is out there...never sells straight away unless say 20k over sticker...then of course...
Old 03-27-2017, 02:37 PM
dave w
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
You must be new here and missed the dozen or so threads about the whole 'relationship' thing.
Been here for 15+ years and have not missed much. We all just have different experiences.

Originally Posted by mooty
^ maybe in MA
in the rep of ca, relationship is strictly based on how big a premium you pay. if i am willing, i can guarantee my 991.2GT3 allocation in PTS.
I am bi-coastal and live in SoCal too. That has not been my experience here.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:03 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Let me clarify, when I initially made the deposit they said that they weren't sure if they were going to sell the first few at market price or not. At the same time they told me that if I was fine with not getting the first few allocations due to market pricing, then I can continue with the deposit.

As of now, it looks like they decided to sell at MSRP. I never signed anything. Everything was verbal.
Hope it works out for you.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:27 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Great discussion,very entertaining! 40 pages,yet everyone here except in the state of California will get a GT3 at MSRP by the end of 2018. Even those in California will get them,either from out of state or from their respective dealers becoming restless after the initial BOOM.
The hype is great but Porsche will build plenty.
Here's an example of a very popular thread title around March 2018 :

" GT3 allocation available at MSRP,PM me for contact ".

I wish I could highlight my above ^^^ comment and pin it somewhere for everyone to see in about a year...
Old 03-27-2017, 05:12 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 310 Posts

Verbal isn't good enough. The person you worked with could leave, don't remember, or just outright lie. Get it in writing.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:27 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pokerhobo
Verbal isn't good enough. The person you worked with could leave, don't remember, or just outright lie. Get it in writing.
I would if I could, trust me. They told me they don't have written, contractual agreements for deposits (only when an allocation is assigned).

I spoke to the GM and the SA. My name is on the dealer's list, not a list held by one person, so if my SA leaves it's not like my name vanishes.

I have email strings if anyone forgets, too. .

At the end of the day, I have no leverage with any dealer and my expectations are very low. If they lie or try to cheat me with the deal, I will just walk away. I have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Great discussion,very entertaining! 40 pages,yet everyone here except in the state of California will get a GT3 at MSRP by the end of 2018. Even those in California will get them,either from out of state or from their respective dealers becoming restless after the initial BOOM.
The hype is great but Porsche will build plenty.
Here's an example of a very popular thread title around March 2018 :

" GT3 allocation available at MSRP,PM me for contact ".

I wish I could highlight my above ^^^ comment and pin it somewhere for everyone to see in about a year...
Create a thread with that title so you can search it later.

I'm drinking the Kool-Aid you're selling and going to hold out for MSRP or bust.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:48 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by dave w
Been here for 15+ years and have not missed much. We all just have different experiences.

I am bi-coastal and live in SoCal too. That has not been my experience here.
u clearly buy more cars than i do.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:49 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Create a thread with that title so you can search it later.

I'm drinking the Kool-Aid you're selling and going to hold out for MSRP or bust.
As long as you know that "bust" is a distinct possibility.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread