Originally Posted by RealityGT
^Hell no..
What he said.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:10 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Trader220
If you're cold calling dealers, should you expect to be able to secure an allocation? Doesn't sound promising to me. If you were a dealer who regularly sells the GT cars at MSRP and probably only gets 1 or 2 tops why would you sell one to a cold caller? Even if you're a tiny dealer I would assume you have at least 2 people in your area who buy them and want them?

Or another question... how many of these dealers who sell at MSRP (small dealers) do you think would take an offer of 10 grand or so over MSRP to bump the one or two regulars who buy these cars from them?
Looks promising to me, so I wouldn't put it out of the question. Texas has too many moneyed buyers and VIPs for me to have a shot here so I looked out of state.

Why would a dealer take $10k over and not just go full-blown market price?
Old 03-28-2017, 12:20 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

I agree, why would a dealer take 10 grand over? If you're going to buck the system and sell over MSRP why not hold out for more?
Old 03-28-2017, 12:21 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
It is not surprising in the slightest that the neurotic guys who bash Porsche dealers all day long on the internet can't get a GT car at MSRP to save their neurotic life.

It is also not surprising that a small minority of others on Rennlist (the quiet, level-headed ones) have no problem getting exactly what they want with 1 phone call.

If you spend a good portion of your time giving a group of people the middle finger, don't be surprised when that group gives you the middle finger in return.
That's a serious leap into fantasy land to draw some kind of correlation don't you think? You're suggesting the RL user id is known to some coalition of dealers- please.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:29 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

It would be very interesting to know the % of dealers nationwide who sell at market vs. MSRP.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

If you're cold calling dealers, should you expect to be able to secure an allocation? Doesn't sound promising to me.
Perhaps, but it you followed the GT4 situation, a lot of people got their cars exactly that way. Calling around to small dealers in BFE that only got 1 or 2 cars and had nobody on any list. This was when other dealers were still asking and getting $15-20k over. I think the .2 GT3 situation is going to be a lot more like the GT4 in terms of premiums than the .1 RS, but we're all just speculatin'.

BTW, if STGs post about all the various cars being sold with a premium ask isn't the sign of the bubble apocalypse, I don't know what is.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:34 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

I agree, why would a dealer take 10 grand over? If you're going to buck the system and sell over MSRP why not hold out for more?
Possibly, because they want to maintain some level of goodwill, while still making a little more profit. A little bit of a compromise with the customer. If my dealer came to me and said that they believe the GT3 is underpriced and they want a small market adjustment like $10k, I might pay it without getting a bad taste in my mouth and stick with them as a customer, particularly if I know they could ***** it out for more to the highest bidder. I could see a dealer selling it for a smaller premium for a good, repeat customer.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:41 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Possibly, because they want to maintain some level of goodwill, while still making a little more profit. A little bit of a compromise with the customer. If my dealer came to me and said that they believe the GT3 is underpriced and they want a small market adjustment like $10k, I might pay it without getting a bad taste in my mouth and stick with them as a customer, particularly if I know they could ***** it out for more to the highest bidder. I could see a dealer selling it for a smaller premium for a good, repeat customer.
F..K that. Paying juice is stupid. If you all collectively STOPPED paying juice then it would go away.

Wouldn't it be great to see all the ****ty dealers and PCNA sitting on all the new GT cars......
Old 03-28-2017, 12:43 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

If the market value is MSRP + 30k, and you pay 10k over, then you are actually getting a discount? And if your dealer has an MSRP policy, they are now deep discounters? This is all getting a bit warped for my taste.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:43 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by KINGSRULE
F..K that. Paying juice is stupid. If you all collectively STOPPED paying juice then it would go away.

Wouldn't it be great to see all the ****ty dealers and PCNA sitting on all the new GT cars......
Yes, as it would be great to see world peace, an end to hunger and disease, a cure for cancer, a...
Old 03-28-2017, 12:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by mcsmcs1
If the market value is MSRP + 30k, and you pay 10k over, then you are actually getting a discount? And if your dealer has an MSRP policy, they are now deep discounters? This is all getting a bit warped for my taste.
In my view, MSRP means little to nothing. There's just a transaction price. I know what I think the car is worth and what I would pay. For me it's somewhere between what my build stickers out at and $10k more. Above that, the car isn't worth it to me. If my dealer comes to me with an allocation within my value range, I'll take it. If they do so when they could get more from somebody else, I'll take it and be happy with them. That was my point.

Honestly, when push comes to shove, I don't think I'll be willing to pay any premium. I had the same decision on a GT4 and passed at $10k over because I just didn't think the car was worth it to me personally. There are a lot of cool cars coming out and/or on the horizon. Even the new ZL1 Camaro looks like a steal.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:56 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

BTW, if STGs post about all the various cars being sold with a premium ask isn't the sign of the bubble apocalypse, I don't know what is.

It's a sign, and not a good one. We'll look back at this sometime soon and be thinking the writing was on the wall.

Look at how these car manufacturers have been maintaining growth. Financing and lease deals. That's starting to crack now if you read up. Not to mention other related areas in the economy.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1406...oon-burst.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-quicktake-q-a

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/201...ertz-20170328/

All kidding and fun aside here with some of the other comments, do some reading and there's reason for concern and caution.

There will be a point all these cars will take a hit, and not a small one. Paying even MSRP for any GT car will be the running joke. All the overinflated collectors market will go as well.

Last edited by STG; 03-28-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:27 PM
ChicagoM4
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
It's a sign, and not a good one. We'll look back at this sometime soon and be thinking the writing was on the wall.

Look at how these car manufacturers have been maintaining growth. Financing and lease deals. That's starting to crack now if you read up. Not to mention other related areas in the economy.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1406...oon-burst.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-quicktake-q-a

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/201...ertz-20170328/

All kidding and fun aside here with some of the other comments, do some reading and there's reason for concern and caution.

There will be a point all these cars will take a hit, and not a small one. Paying even MSRP for any GT car will be the running joke. All the overinflated collectors market will go as well.
Not really that big of an issue if you ask me. Just a result of growth off the back of the recession and low interest rates combined with increasingly higher vehicle prices.

Delinquencies have actually dropped from the recession era to now and the auto debt is only 1/8 the size of mortgage. On top of all of that, the financial companies that will be affected by delinquencies are mostly diversified (with corporate financing, insurance, mortgages, stock brokerage, and online banking).
Old 03-28-2017, 01:37 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,020 Posts

In my view, MSRP means little to nothing. There's just a transaction price. I know what I think the car is worth and what I would pay.
Exactly. If the 991.2 GT3 MSRP was $135k and the car was going for $145k people would complain that it was too expensive. Yet the same car with an MSRP of $175k is deemed a fair value if sold for $175k.

What is the car worth to you?
Old 03-28-2017, 01:47 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robmypro
Exactly. If the 991.2 GT3 MSRP was $135k and the car was going for $145k people would complain that it was too expensive. Yet the same car with an MSRP of $175k is deemed a fair value if sold for $175k.

What is the car worth to you?
I have no idea what it is worth to me. I suspect anyone who does is simply basing the price off of alternative purchase options, which themselves may be overpriced. I think Porsche has a pretty good idea of what it is worth, and chooses the MSRP accordingly. They likely set it on the high side to account for the brand cachet.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread