Sponsored by:

GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 03:56 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 247 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Pretty much. I was offered a build slot before I was 100% committed.
I came around!!
Well you're definitely a good customer.. lol
Old 12-07-2017, 03:58 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Pretty much. I was offered a build slot before I was 100% committed.
I came around!!
You don't happen to have a 918 in your garage, do you?
Old 12-07-2017, 04:10 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
You don't happen to have a 918 in your garage, do you?
I don't see one in his honour roll there... but I DO see enough to expect he's not begging for allocations.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:17 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Exactly. It is all a game. This is why I posted a thread regarding Porsche's business model. It doesn't make any sense to me. It stinks of third world cronyism.<br /><br />As a comparison, if I want to buy one of the best speaker systems in the world, the company is going to sell it to me. I just need to have the money.- whether it is $10,000 for one speaker or $50,000. I can walk right in or order it on line, tell them I want it and pay a huge price. I don't have to do the list game dance crap. If Porsche needs another factory to meet demand (which I doubt), then build it.<br /><br />Edit: BTW - I would never buy a speaker that expensive and Porsche is not the best car manufacturer in the world either. I'm just making a point.
One thing to mention is that Porsche's system is not perfect, but it is purposeful. I think it's one of those things where when you are on the outside looking in, you are irritated and baffled as to why you cannot walk in with cash in hand and pay MSRP and configure a GT3 to your taste (believe me, I am still feeling this way). But once you are on the "inside" looking out, you realize you can theoretically drive your GT3/GT3RS/GT2RS/R for 1, 2, 3+ years and sell it or trade it in for what you paid for, or in some instances even more than what you paid for which is mostly unheard of in the auto industry.

Additionally, I think that this frenzy over the GT models is in part because they *are* hard to get and limited. Subconsciously I think that plays a part in at least some of us wanting this car. It's very easy to say if they made a million, there would be a million buyers because it's just an amazing car in its own right (which is true). But in the luxury game I think that there is an effect which is important to some, or maybe all of us if we were willing to admit it, that part of the lust and desire for the car is because it is hard to get and elevates its "legendary" status

Just my 2 cents from someone on both sides of the coin

Last edited by sampelligrino; 12-07-2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: formatting took a dump
Old 12-07-2017, 04:24 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
One thing to mention is that Porsche's system is not perfect, but it is purposeful. I think it's one of those things where when you are on the outside looking in, you are irritated and baffled as to why you cannot walk in with cash in hand and pay MSRP and configure a GT3 to your taste (believe me, I am still feeling this way). But once you are on the "inside" looking out, you realize you can theoretically drive your GT3/GT3RS/GT2RS/R for 1, 2, 3+ years and sell it or trade it in for what you paid for, or in some instances even more than what you paid for which is mostly unheard of in the auto industry.

Additionally, I think that this frenzy over the GT models is in part because they *are* hard to get and limited. Subconsciously I think that plays a part in at least some of us wanting this car. It's very easy to say if they made a million, there would be a million buyers because it's just an amazing car in its own right (which is true). But in the luxury game I think that there is an effect which is important to some, or maybe all of us if we were willing to admit it, that part of the lust and desire for the car is because it is hard to get and elevates its "legendary" status

Sorry but it’s not the case anymore...
Old 12-07-2017, 04:50 PM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 288 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Sorry but it’s not the case anymore...
It works, but you have to let the car go before the new model with a better engine enters production.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:08 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by 0to60
Define “best” car manufacturer. IMO “best” is not a fact but rather an opinion, and in my opinion Porsche is the best mass produced manufacture. I got my .1 GT3 at MSRP back in 2015 and MSRP on my .2 GT3 this time. You won’t admit it, but I sense “sour grapes” from your posts.

It's not sour grapes at all. It's that I am a left brainer and I can't come to grips with not being able to buy what I want because there is a game to be played first. You have to be on a list, a special customer or owned a 918 or 4 GT3RSs in the past.

I agree that the best manufacturer is largely an opinion. I love Porsche cars which is why I own two of their new sports cars. They know engineering, racing etc but they don't know business apparently. The best car manufacturer is the one that is making the most overall profit (opinion of course). That is the purpose of a business. The same culture that almost bankrupted Porsche in the mid-1980s are still leading PAG. The are replete with fantastic engineers but are not as focused on profit - their survival. Outside the box thinking brought the Boxster and SUVs which came to the rescue. Raise the price of the GT3 until demand equals supply.

P.S. I think mission E is going to sink Porsche. They spent a ton of money to make, effectively a Tesla which will cost even more per unit. Tesla is way ahead of the game too. Enthusiast are not going to play. If I wanted an EV car, I'd buy a Tesla before a heavy Porsche EV car.

Last edited by subshooter; 12-07-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:16 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Were you able to just walk into your dealer and obtain an allocation without having to make your intentions known to them in advance?
I know some people are very good customers and don't need to drop deposits, but I'm curious to know how one can obtain an allocation without even informing the dealer of your intent to purchase? Which is in essence, what the deposit is supposed to acknowledge...
I think it depends on your buying patterns. I know a guy in Quebec who buys the first of everything (Ferrari, Porsche). So his SA and GM know to call him any time they're getting something, cause they know he'll probably buy it (at one point this guy had 991 Targa, Turbo, GT3 and RS) without him having a deposit.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:20 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
For what it's worth... I do hope you land one. I mean... you know your car was practically an inspiration for me back in the day.
Well it is funny how things turn around because your posts over on planet-9 got me on the GT3 kick. I agree with your comments over there that this may be the last NA GT3. Emphasis on "may". I only buy new cars so I am worried. If there is a NA 992 GT3 with a manual, then I will be fine. I am disappointed in my 991.2 in the way it makes me feel; my 981 is much better in that regard. The GT3 will hit my itch I think.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:44 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
P.S. I think mission E is going to sink Porsche. They spent a ton of money to make, effectively a Tesla which will cost even more per unit. Tesla is way ahead of the game too. Enthusiast are not going to play. If I wanted an EV car, I'd buy a Tesla before a heavy Porsche EV car.
Hehe saw this and wanted to chime in at the risk of hijacking the thread. I disagree. I am queued up and high on the list for Mission E, and on the contrary (again - not to hijack the thread), I think Mission E will keep Porsche very relevant for years to come. I own a Tesla Model X Signature Edition and I *almost* hate the thing. The battery technology is absolutely amazing as well as straight line acceleration, *but* the car was rife with problems since delivery, the onboard computer takes a dump from time to time, the interior is re-used older Mercedes parts and not well designed/appropriate for the price tag in my opinion. The car has random issues across the board showing a lack in quality control (falcon doors, trunk, sensor technology for autopilot).

I always think to myself when driving the X that if equivalent battery technology could be integrated in a Porsche, that would be one amazing car and compliment to my 911. I am the biggest fan of Porsche interior design, build quality, your typical German over-engineering. Marry that with battery technology and I believe Porsche will dominate the mid-luxury segment of electric cars which Tesla currently holds title to with the S and X. The interior and exterior Tesla design is not great IMO, whereas the Mission E renderings inside and out look absolutely phenomenal as I await Porsche to fully attack the electric car (not the 20 mile range Panamera and Cayenne hybrid) and make an amazing product
Old 12-07-2017, 06:05 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

^ haven't put a deposit on a mission-e but I also agree this is a good car for Porsche to build. I would have pulled the trigger on a Tesla by now if the mission-e wasn't coming out soon. I actually wish they would have done an e-Macan!
Old 12-07-2017, 06:05 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

PAG uses the GT cars to reward their dealer network in selling other cars. PAG bread and butter is the Cayenne and Macan , they are selling great.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:21 PM
Homsy94
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I have my name at 2 local dealers and they actually both called me with "holiday updates" (both nice guys).
First one told me (MSRP dealership)- they got 4 cars (I'm number 5) and that they had gotten 6 .1's so to hang tight for a couple months
Second told me (MSRP +5k ADM)- they got 2 cars (I'm number 6) and although they think they'll get a few more cars they don't think I'll get one. However, they are allowing me to get first dibs for the .2 RS slot at 20k ADM. Not bad considering where the market will probably be when it is released. As someone who will be using this as a daily spirited driving, I don't know if it's worth it for me but I'm still debating. Anyone wanna switch for an MSRP GT3 slot

Here's to hoping that they're right and they get a couple more
Old 12-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,460 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by Homsy94
So I have my name at 2 local dealers and they actually both called me with "holiday updates" (both nice guys).
First one told me (MSRP dealership)- they got 4 cars (I'm number 5) and that they had gotten 6 .1's so to hang tight for a couple months
Second told me (MSRP +5k ADM)- they got 2 cars (I'm number 6) and although they think they'll get a few more cars they don't think I'll get one. However, they are allowing me to get first dibs for the .2 RS slot at 20k ADM. Not bad considering where the market will probably be when it is released. As someone who will be using this as a daily spirited driving, I don't know if it's worth it for me but I'm still debating. Anyone wanna switch for an MSRP GT3 slot

Here's to hoping that they're right and they get a couple more
Take the .2 RS deal and get it locked up and firm, in writing, if the styling of an RS suits you better than a GT3. That will look like a bargain- do not forget to send me a bottle of Wine when my advice realizes
Old 12-07-2017, 09:13 PM
Terrence
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino

Great insight and very true, however, many people here will not like to admit to that. Ferrari was the same with their mid engine V8's for decades.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread