GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 12:22 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by SKY57
In Canadian Dollar:

GT3 MSRP was around $165K including reasonable options.
Current asking price is round $185K for 2014 and $195K for 2015.

GT3 RS MSRP was around $230K with options and current asking price is $270-$300K still.

Different country has different 2nd hand market I guess?
No one is buying them. They have had the same cars for a long time now.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:24 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SToronto
Wonder if they'd bite on a MSRP offer. Depends on what they paid and how long they are willing to carry the car I guess. Believe they have been sitting for months.
Tried on a RS, no go.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:30 PM
JRidge
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PwAg
Posted this last week. Well my cynicism got the better of me after some of you shared your input. Still no response in writing from SA confirming what we discussed. Decided to stop in after work yesterday with my helmet to drill down on 4-way/LWBS fit in 991.1 GT3/RS. Talked myself into the General Sales Manager office.

Was essentially told the list is flexible and the 918 guys are not included on it. He was not as positive on my chances as SA, but said it was still a decent chance. Was told by another SA this dealer had 20 allocations for .1, SM stated 5mins later that was incorrect info. Wouldn't give me .1 #'s, why not? Have no prior experience with this dealer or new Porsche purchase, but found the following odd. Was told by Sales Manager to send him an email talking about myself, ie brief life story/what I'll do with the car/what I do? Is this normal? I can see if they want to know financial means to protect against flakes on a delivery, but other stuff? Maybe they want to protect against garage queen types (not me)? I previously provided my home address (one of most affluent areas of town), they can see it was new build & scrape purchased in cash/owned outright. I'd be in top 1% of their historical buyers, but I don't feel they need to know that. I'm extremely private. Getting interviewed to buy a car, yay, sounds like my Ferrari experiences. Wife thought it's tackey, suggested I just pay the ~$10k ADM somewhere else, not be bothered about my personal life/jerked around with a flexible list. But it's only a GT3, simply dont want to pay it on principle. Going to focus on other vehicle for now. Hunt for a 675LT/458/RS/GT4 6spd, look for some softened winter prices. Oh well, have to stay positive, only a damn car.

All they are trying to figure out is a) if you are a flipper and b) if they will get the service business, IMHO and in my limited experience. Feels invasive I know but you can cut through a lot of that just telling them what they want to hear. "Yes, I will keep it and drive it and bring it to you for service." As for getting smoke blown up your a**, my understanding is that GT3 allocations are purely a function of "regular" 911 sales, so I'd say the answer is "yes" they are blowing smoke with regard to the flood of new allocations they expect as a result of their "expansion" or whatever.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:33 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 308 Likes on 174 Posts

Wonder if they'd bite on a MSRP offer. Depends on what they paid and how long they are willing to carry the car I guess. Believe they have been sitting for months.
I expect in most cases they'd lose money on that deal. I'd bet in many cases they gave more than MSRP in trade on them thinking they'd sell them for higher prices than they're asking. The RS prices have come down from well over $300k not too long ago.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:39 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by STALKER99
Tried on a RS, no go.
I've thought to do the same since those are sitting too and winter is coming. What did you offer? MSRP?
Old 08-23-2017, 12:42 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
I expect in most cases they'd lose money on that deal. I'd bet in many cases they gave more than MSRP in trade on them thinking they'd sell them for higher prices than they're asking. The RS prices have come down from well over $300k not too long ago.
Likely but guess it's their gamble on holding till they sell for more than MSRP. I think they won't sell and they would have incurred carrying costs until they sell for MSRP or less.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:46 PM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

I've thought to do the same since those are sitting too and winter is coming. What did you offer? MSRP?
20k over MSRP and wanted 991.2 RS allocation.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:48 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 109 Posts

[QUOTE=JRidge;14424599]All they are trying to figure out is a) if you are a flipper and b) if they will get the service business, IMHO and in my limited experience. Feels invasive I know but you can cut through a lot of that just telling them what they want to hear. "Yes, I will keep it and drive it and bring it to you for service." As for getting smoke blown up your a**, my understanding is that GT3 allocations are purely a function of "regular" 911 sales, so I'd say the answer is "yes" they are blowing smoke with regard to the flood of new allocations they expect as a result of their "expansion" or whatever.[/QUOT

Why don't you get a financial statement from the dealer to insure he can afford the expansion. Bad form on those guys.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:50 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 777 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
Given where RS prices are I don't know how GT3s can still be asking $30k over...
Originally Posted by SKY57
In Canadian Dollar:

GT3 MSRP was around $165K including reasonable options.
Current asking price is round $185K for 2014 and $195K for 2015.

GT3 RS MSRP was around $230K with options and current asking price is $270-$300K still.

Different country has different 2nd hand market I guess?
Those cars are sale proof at those prices. They've all been there since March and aren't going anywhere.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:51 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

They are not asking for a credit check so to speak, they are vetting you against being a flipper and whether you will be a good Porsche owner/customer. The hiding the number of allocations because it would tell you indirectly how well the business does selling 911s.

Posted this last week. Well my cynicism got the better of me after some of you shared your input. Still no response in writing from SA confirming what we discussed. Decided to stop in after work yesterday with my helmet to drill down on 4-way/LWBS fit in 991.1 GT3/RS. Talked myself into the General Sales Manager office.

Was essentially told the list is flexible and the 918 guys are not included on it. He was not as positive on my chances as SA, but said it was still a decent chance. Was told by another SA this dealer had 20 allocations for .1, SM stated 5mins later that was incorrect info. Wouldn't give me .1 #'s, why not? Have no prior experience with this dealer or new Porsche purchase, but found the following odd. Was told by Sales Manager to send him an email talking about myself, ie brief life story/what I'll do with the car/what I do? Is this normal? I can see if they want to know financial means to protect against flakes on a delivery, but other stuff? Maybe they want to protect against garage queen types (not me)? I previously provided my home address (one of most affluent areas of town), they can see it was new build & scrape purchased in cash/owned outright. I'd be in top 1% of their historical buyers, but I don't feel they need to know that. I'm extremely private. Getting interviewed to buy a car, yay, sounds like my Ferrari experiences. Wife thought it's tackey, suggested I just pay the ~$10k ADM somewhere else, not be bothered about my personal life/jerked around with a flexible list. But it's only a GT3, simply dont want to pay it on principle. Going to focus on other vehicle for now. Hunt for a 675LT/458/RS/GT4 6spd, look for some softened winter prices. Oh well, have to stay positive, only a damn car.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:54 PM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried to get a low-mileage 2015 GT3 for $180K (well more than $10K over MSRP). The answer was 'Thank you but we paid WAY more than that.'

Fine then....
Old 08-23-2017, 01:18 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 390 Posts

Funny, it was just such an email that I sent to a few dealers that helped me land a GT4 allocation at MSRP, when there were few to be had. I talked about my new passion for sports cars and Porsches in particular, that I had joined PCA and done a handful of DE events, and that I had planned to attend the Porsche PDS, which I did.

The GM called me up and asked if I would get my car serviced at his place, which is about an hour from my home and further away than about four other P dealers, whether I would participate in his dealer-sponsored DE events and other events, and it's been a great relationship ever since.

I'd say it's more of a car-guy check than a credit check.

Write him a nice note and you'll likely get your car.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:53 PM
PwAg
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Tx for the replies fellas. Always appreciated. I'll go ahead and write him the email. Sounds like I need to loosen up, not take it personal. Some of the info inconsistency between SA's and the SM got me wondering, are they playing me/telling me what I want to hear.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:07 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

You said yourself that you had no prior relationship and had never purchased a new Porsche before. As previously stated, they just want to know you will keep and drive the car. They also want to make sure the car will be serviced there. Reasonable requests IMO. Be patient and as long as you aren't too far down the list you should get a car.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,871 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Tx for the replies fellas. Always appreciated. I'll go ahead and write him the email. Sounds like I need to loosen up, not take it personal. Some of the info inconsistency between SA's and the SM got me wondering, are they playing me/telling me what I want to hear.
I would be so tempted to just make up a ton of crazy **** and send it to them as a goof.

Quick Reply: GT3 Dealer Allocation Thread